Apple now selling access to WWDC presentations via iTunes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has announced the availability of iPhone and Mac development sessions, recorded at this year's WWDC, for members of its Apple Developer Connection programs, including the free ADC Online and Registered iPhone developers.

Premier ADC members and WWDC attendees already have access to the session videos, but members of the Select ADC, free Online ADC and $99 Student Member programs for Mac OS X development, as well as the separate $99 Registered iPhone developer circle, have to pay.

Buying access to the WWDC sessions costs either $299 for the iPhone or Mac sessions, or $499 for the complete set of both. A full WWDC ticket costs $1595, with a $1295 early bird offer typically sold through April. In both of the last two years however, WWDC has sold out, making attendance impossible for many.

By selling access to the sessions for $500, Apple is reserving the value of attending. Some developers report that they find more value in talking to engineers at scheduled lab sessions rather than sitting through the lecture sessions that usually end with a brief question and answer session.

In previous years, Apple has lagged behind in making sessions available in iTunes after the event. This year, the company has managed to make its WWDC catalog of sessions available within a month and a half, its fastest turnaround yet.

To order sessions, users must sign up for one of the ADC programs, including the free Online ADC package. After buying access, Apple forwards the user an iTunes provisioning key that enables downloading and viewing of the session packages' videos and Keynote slide presentations.

The WWDC sessions require iTunes 8.2 and enough disk space to accommodate the downloads, with the combined package weighing in at 30GB. The Mac session package itself is 13GB, and iPhone session package is 17GB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    So, does this mean that those of us who are ADC (Select and Premium) will get access to the 2008 WDC Videos for free? Currently, I can only download the 2007 WDC Videos.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    The 2009 videos were available before June ended. It was less than 3 weeks, not a month and a half.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I wonder if they'll post the "Apple Store" session at which the presenters fled the room before the QA?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

So, does this mean that those of us who are ADC (Select and Premium) will get access to the 2008 WDC Videos for free? Currently, I can only download the 2007 WDC Videos.

If you are a paid up ADC Premier Member or if you held a WWDC 2009 E-ticket, the videos are free. http://developer.apple.com/products/videos.html
  • Reply 5 of 25
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

If you are an ADC Premier Member or if you held a WWDC 2009 E-ticket, the videos are free.

I am just a Select Member. I don't even see the videos available for purchase anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    After paying a good amount to be a "Select" member, I have access to the dev seeds of SL, but no access to these videos without paying more? What if I only want to watch a single session? Still gotta pay for all of them, huh? Pretty lame Apple, why not do it iTunes style? That would make a whole lot more sense, make us devs happy, and you'd probably make more $$ that way. No way am I going to pay for all of them when I only want to see one or two.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itistoday View Post

After paying a good amount to be a "Select" member, I have access to the dev seeds of SL, but no access to these videos without paying more? What if I only want to watch a single session? Still gotta pay for all of them, huh? Pretty lame Apple, why not do it iTunes style? That would make a whole lot more sense, make us devs happy, and you'd probably make more $$ that way. No way am I going to pay for all of them when I only want to see one or two.

It's called Apple Tax. You really should be used to it by now.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    If only they were priced at 0.99 $ each.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Wow, that was quick. I remember last year it took several months before they were available.

Apple's got to be nice to it's developers now, lest they defect to Google OS!
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post

If only they were priced at 0.99 $ each.

I have bought these video sets twice before. They're definitely worth more than that. They have excellent production quality and good technical knowledge.

The main problem with last year's set was that several of the presenters were quite obnoxious/up themselves, I just couldn't watch them all the way through.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itistoday View Post

If you a Microsoft dev you would pay for Msdn and all dev events they hold
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

It's called Apple Tax. You really should be used to it by now.

Get off it.

Just what entitlement does anybody have over any of us who have paid our share and without that, nothing would be available.

Just for your information, when Apple brought out the Mac in 1984, MacWrite and MacPaint were included. MacPaint 2 was introduced at $125, an upgrade was $25. A significantly low pricing policy that Jobs insisted on vs the $500 plus all the others were charging for their DOS software.

A Premiere member pays a heck of a lot more for more and in fact, their WWDC ticket and materials out of it are included. Just why anybody else is entitled to get any of these videos and sample code, etc., for free really behooves me.

@ itistoday

And why anybody, particularly a Select member, would think that getting the odd snippet or two isn't really serious or a f* liar. Or are you a genius that wants to be a neurosurgeon via a correspondence school or reading the table of contents in Coles Notes?

@ nacee33

Are you sure you are a Select member. I would think you would know how to navigate the tabs. http://developer.apple.com/products/membership.html
  • Reply 13 of 25
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Just why anybody else is entitled to get any of these videos and sample code, etc., for free really behooves me.

You don't know what words mean, do you?

• Reply 14 of 25
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Why should same people who forked up money to go to this conference, have to pay again to see the sessions they couldn't.

Apple is wrong here because, that's taking advantage of people.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    palterpalter Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Why should same people who forked up money to go to this conference, have to pay again to see the sessions they couldn't.

If you attended the conference, you get the videos for free.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

You don't know what words mean, do you?

behoove as in "to confuse"
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

What the hell are you talking about? If you went, you get the videos for free.

Again, "If you are a paid up ADC Premier Member* or if you held a WWDC 2009 E-ticket, the videos are free."

* All ADC Premier Members automatically get a 'free' WWDC ticket as part of their membership.

http://developer.apple.com/products/videos.html
  • Reply 18 of 25
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

• Reply 19 of 25
    iphone1982iphone1982 Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Try again.

be·hoove

Function:verb

Inflected Form(s):be·hooved; be·hoov·ing

Etymology:Middle English behoven, from Old English behōfian, from behōf

Date:before 12th century

transitive verb

: to be necessary, proper, or advantageous for <it behooves us to go>

intransitive verb

: to be necessary, fit, or proper

In other words... it would behoove you to know the meaning of the word before slamming someone on a message board.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

: to be necessary, proper, or advantageous for <it behooves us to go>

Maybe he was thinking of "befuddle."