Offbeat: Paranoid lawsuit attempts to link Apple to Italian mafia

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idle View Post

Fortunately, we've progressed as a society to the point where there are actually much better ways of dealing with schizophrenia

Guess again:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...8/school-shock

And there's a lot more where that came from...
  • Reply 62 of 96
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cactus_man View Post

Guess again:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...8/school-shock

And there's a lot more where that came from...

Bloody hell. America should be ashamed of that. How is that place legal? WTF?
  • Reply 63 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

This is paranoid schizophrenia. He genuinely believes these things and he should not be punished he should be helped. I have dealt with many people in this condition. They absolutely cannot help themselves. It is a sad and debilitating disease.

However, the fact that he found a lawyer willing to persue these delusional claims is outrageous.

+1 I agree completely. The guy should be helped, not harmed or held responsible for his actions should he truly be ill.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    His lawyer is no Perry Mason.
  • Reply 65 of 96
    ah, a suit NOT by a patent troll...
  • Reply 66 of 96
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

...man alleges that Apple conspired with the Italian mafia to secretly track him, transmit threatening messages to his iPod, and insert the word "herpes" into the song "Still Tippin'" by Mike Jones.

This sounds so crazy, that nobody will believe it!

So it must be true!
  • Reply 67 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Bloody hell. America should be ashamed of that. How is that place legal? WTF?

It gets worse. If you have time, you simply must watch this documentary. It's 1 hour long:

http://www.montanapbs.org/WhosWatchingTheKids/

Here are some more articles, too:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-teen-industry

http://outside.away.com/magazine/1095/10f_deth.html

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2006-06...ws/rough-love/

This is all real. Believe me, I know. The documentary is about the place I spent two years at. This is the real America, the America that nobody wants to acknowledge. This is the "Land of the Free." Ha.

Whether you look at these things or not, I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you taking the time to just read that one article, or at least look at it. (Not sure how much you read.) I seriously can't get any of my own "friends" to look at this stuff, yet you looked at it. I think it's also ironic how yet another person who lives outside of the United States cares a lot more about this than the stupid Americans do. (This is a consistently occurring pattern that I've observed.)

Thanks again!
  • Reply 68 of 96
    Schizophrenia is a sad disease..
  • Reply 69 of 96
    As with other generalizations, that is not a fair characterization of most of the United States. Although in general there seems to be a growing bifurcation between educated, intelligent Americans with a more expansive worldview and the rural, uneducated, nationalistic population. You can readily see this in our politics --- hence the reason the intelligent, tolerant, pragmatic President Obama was popular on one side, and the ignorant, narrow minded, self-righteous, feeble-minded, religious extremist Sarah Palin on the other. I will also admit that way too large a portion of society falls into the latter group.

Quote:

It gets worse. If you have time, you simply must watch this documentary. It's 1 hour long:

http://www.montanapbs.org/WhosWatchingTheKids/

Here are some more articles, too:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-teen-industry

http://outside.away.com/magazine/1095/10f_deth.html

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2006-06...ws/rough-love/

This is all real. Believe me, I know. The documentary is about the place I spent two years at. This is the real America, the America that nobody wants to acknowledge. This is the "Land of the Free." Ha.

Whether you look at these things or not, I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you taking the time to just read that one article, or at least look at it. (Not sure how much you read.) I seriously can't get any of my own "friends" to look at this stuff, yet you looked at it. I think it's also ironic how yet another person who lives outside of the United States cares a lot more about this than the stupid Americans do. (This is a consistently occurring pattern that I've observed.)

Thanks again!

• Reply 70 of 96
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Missouri?

How Mark Twain would have a field day with this one.
  • Reply 71 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

As with other generalizations, that is not a fair characterization of most of the United States.

I think the point is, it's allowed to happen in the United States. No supposedly civilised country should be doing this to its most vulnerable citizens. It is a disgrace and I have no qualms in saying that all Americans should be ashamed that it's happening in their country. They should be writing to congress to find out why the hell this is allowed to happen given that it's 2009 not 1909.
  • Reply 72 of 96
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Let's stop an think.

1. Is any part of what he claims impossible? No.

2. Does the Italian mafia exist in the fashion described? Absolutely.

3. Would Apple conspire with criminal organizations if ordered to by the U.S. government or other powerful interests?

Of course.

Yet all of the kiddies in here will continue to believe that such a story is a fairytale, whereas, in reality, whether its true or not, its not unlikely or impossible.

Helloooooo! Anyone home? Have you seen project Natal yet, from Microsoft? Only the single most invasive device ever conceived for the home. Don't believe Apple has a device in the works that collects 5x as much biometric data? Don't believe Apple already collects staggering amounts of information on you from the use of your iPhones and iPods? You need to grow up.

• Reply 73 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

ah, a suit NOT by a patent troll...

Best post in the entire thread.
  • Reply 74 of 96
    Quote:

Yes. The bit about bugging him with iPods. That's impossible. You could do it with an iPhone, but not the iPods that he claims it was done with.

Man, maybe you need a mental health professional too. You are off-the-scale paranoid. I'm not joking.

Why would Apple and the US government spend all this time effort and money to bug this particular individual? And why oh why oh why would they insert the word "herpes" into a song?

I can't believe I'm even arguing about this. You cannot be serious.

Because they want him to continue modeling. It directly affects their bottom line and helps fight terrorism, to boot. I mean, if that isn't a legitimate reason, I don't know what is.

"Herpes" is actually "Sheper", for "Project Sheper" (a play on the name "Shapur" - an ancient Sassanid or Persian King), which is a concerted attempt by the FBI, CIA, and funded by the Italian government, to experiment with Remote Viewing (reviving the project from decades ago) in order to determine (via Remote Viewing) the movements and activities of top officials in the entire Gulf Region in the Middle East. This is accomplished by certain fashion-runway steps (a specific combination of them) orchestrated at the same time at major fashion shows in North America and Europe. It creates vibrations not felt by the average person, but which boosts the efficacy of Remote Viewing about a thousandfold. Apple just happens to provide some of the equipment used for Remote Viewing, and more specifically, equipment used to pick up on and amplify these vibrations.

Except there's no multitasking or copy & paste.

Modeling = defending the Free World.
  • Reply 75 of 96
    Quote:

I think the point is, it's allowed to happen in the United States. No supposedly civilised country should be doing this to its most vulnerable citizens. It is a disgrace and I have no qualms in saying that all Americans should be ashamed that it's happening in their country. They should be writing to congress to find out why the hell this is allowed to happen given that it's 2009 not 1909.

It's not like I support electroshock therapy, but you are being alittle harsh only on America when the UK does it as well.

http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/B...+sense/ECT.htm

Both our countries do it, we just follow stricter rules and practices then other countries.
  • Reply 76 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NightHawk3000 View Post

It's not like I support electroshock therapy, but you are being alittle harsh only on America when the UK does it as well.

http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/B...+sense/ECT.htm

Both our countries do it, we just follow stricter rules and practices then other countries.

Thank you for the link. But if you read it, you will see that it's very different from the situations referred to in the links provided by cactus_man.

In America, you've got parents sending vulnerable children with all kinds of different mental and emotional problems to a school that uses electrocution as a discipline method and runs the school as an authoritarian state (oh, and charges the US taxpayer $200,000 a year per child to do it); I'm sorry, but there's no other word to describe it than barbaric.

According to your link, in the UK electro-shock therapy is used "only to achieve rapid and short-term improvement of severe symptoms after an adequate trial of other treatment options has proven ineffective and/or when the condition is considered to be potentially life-threatening, in individuals with severe depressive illness; catatonia; a prolonged or severe manic episode", and most importantly, only when informed consent has been given by the patient. The children in that American school are given no such choice and the "treatment" is used on long-term basis.
  • Reply 77 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

As with other generalizations, that is not a fair characterization of most of the United States. Although in general there seems to be a growing bifurcation between educated, intelligent Americans with a more expansive worldview and the rural, uneducated, nationalistic population. You can readily see this in our politics --- hence the reason the intelligent, tolerant, pragmatic President Obama was popular on one side, and the ignorant, narrow minded, self-righteous, feeble-minded, religious extremist Sarah Palin on the other. I will also admit that way too large a portion of society falls into the latter group.

Of course not every American is okay with such practices, but when only 1% of the population appears to give a damn (and that's a generous estimate), it's quite safe to group Americans into one of two groups: the sadists who actively participate in/encourage such practices, and the apathetic people who refuse to even acknowledge that such practices are executed because "it doesn't affect me." Note that I say this as a resident of the United States, though I do not consider myself to be "American." This country made it quite clear to me at the age of 16 that it does not consider me to be human, let alone American. Considering the state of both humanity and of the United States, perhaps I should feel honored.

If you watch the documentary, you will see that it is primarily the Republicans (such as Mitt Romney, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maia-s...s_b_63311.html) who defend such facilities, because they are the ones receiving the most "political contributions," a.k.a. bribes. However, with the lone exception of George Miller, the Democrats have been of absolutely no help. The Republicans are the aggressors, and the Democrats are the ostriches with their heads in the sand. This is not a Republican issue or Democratic issue; this is an American issue.

As I touched on before, I cannot get anybody I know to give a damn. I've tried not to "generalize," but to do anything else would be mere self-deception. Just a couple of weeks ago my math professor stated that, "Back in the day, we didn't have things like 'ADHD' because if a kid didn't pay attention, you'd just smack him, and... well, it worked!" And the entire class seemed to agree with his assessment, verbally backing up his claims. When I spoke out, I was not only drowned out by the incessant rambling of my peers, but repeatedly smirked at by the professor himself. Mind you, I don't live in the midwest--I live in "liberal" Los Angeles County. So much for the problem only being with the other half.

Quote:

I'll refer again to the documentary. There is big money--millions of dollars-- in it for the politicians if they protect these facilities. And let's be honest, is there anything Americans care about more than money? Mexico, Costa Rica, and the Czech Republic (all of which are quite poor in comparison to the United States) have shut down WWASP-owned programs for abuse, but the United States has never shut down a WWASP-owned program. Those countries place value on human life; the United States does not.

This has been happening for decades. The feds are well aware of it, but that doesn't mean anything.

Quote:

Thank you for the link. But if you read it, you will see that it's very different from the situations referred to in the links provided by cactus_man.

In America, you've got parents sending vulnerable children with all kinds of different mental and emotional problems being sent to a school that uses electrocution as a discipline method and runs the school as an authoritarian state (oh, and charges the US taxpayer $200,000 a year per child to do it); I'm sorry, but there's no other word to describe it than barbaric.

According to your link, in the UK electro-shock therapy is used "only to achieve rapid and short-term improvement of severe symptoms after an adequate trial of other treatment options has proven ineffective and/or when the condition is considered to be potentially life-threatening, in individuals with severe depressive illness; catatonia; a prolonged or severe manic episode", and most importantly, only when informed consent has been given by the patient. The children in that American school are given no such choice and the "treatment" is used on long-term basis.

While there is no defending electroshock "therapy" (all evidence shows that even when it produces short-term positive results, the long-term results are always bad), the fact that UK patients must consent is of crucial importance. If adults want to hurt themselves, I see no problem with that.

Moreover, you're referring to "patients." The place I was sent to has only one requirement: your parents must be able to foot the $42,000/year bill. There is no psychiatric screening to determine whether or not you even have problems. You needn't have a criminal record or take a drug test. Your parents just have to sign the form. Also, it is legal for the facilities in Montana to hire registered sex offenders.

Must I go on? I think I've made my point, yes?
  • Reply 78 of 96
    Quote:

... it's 2009 not 1909.

Crap.

It's time for a new calendar.
  • Reply 79 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Crap.

It's time for a new calendar.

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, your response is quite typical. You don't want to face the harsh, unpleasant reality of what is being discussed, so you're cracking a joke in an effort to distract yourself and everybody else who reads this. And I understand. It's always easier to look away from horrifying situations than it is to face them--until it happens to you.

Currently, we're both immune from such practices because we over the age of 18. But if society continues to ignore these facilities, how long do you suppose it will be before adults are just as vulnerable?

Personally, that day cannot come quickly enough. Maybe that'll get you to start caring.
  • Reply 80 of 96
    Quote:

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, your response is quite typical. You don't want to face the harsh, unpleasant reality of what is being discussed, so you're cracking a joke in an effort to distract yourself and everybody else who reads this. And I understand. It's always easier to look away from horrifying situations than it is to face them--until it happens to you.

Currently, we're both immune from such practices because we over the age of 18. But if society continues to ignore these facilities, how long do you suppose it will be before adults are just as vulnerable?

Personally, that day cannot come quickly enough. Maybe that'll get you to start caring.

Your response to my response is typical of someone who can't be a part of the solution as you are for now bound to bring the discussion back to your own traumas and along the journey, insult all other participants of the discussion - as you have me. Implication is a dangerous weapon to wield and you should treat it with more respect. I am not apathetic, myopic or callous.

Did it ever occur to you that others on these forums could have had a number of their own traumas? Did it ever occur to you that one method employed by those individuals and others for dealing with such situations was humor?

I have had my fair share of personal trauma, and than some. One still very new and very fresh in my mind. My father has too and he and I share humor as one way to deal with the awful truths of the world. Humor is not turning a blind eye - humor is about remembering the good in the world in the face of evil.

So no, you don't understand. You don't know what I am doing and your response was offensive and unjustified. So, let me give you a little piece of unsolicited advice - your aims would be better served by your excusing yourself from the discussion, at least until you learn to stop including insults in your contributions.

Have a nice day.