iPhoto question - how to make files show in finder?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited November 2014
Ok, so maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but this is an aggravating issue and there has to be a way around it.

So...when I go to look for a picture that I've downloaded off of my digital camera into iPhoto, I cannot find it by looking in the Pictures folder in the Finder. Instead, there is the iPhoto Library, which somehow represents all of my pictures (none of which can be seen). How the hell do I see those files in the Finder??? The only way I can seem to get to them is to right-click the pictures in iPhoto and see the file that way. What am I missing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    You're not missing anything, that's the way iPhoto works.

The reasoning is that iPhoto is very particular about where the photos are stored. Moving your pictures around outside of iPhoto can really screw up your iPhoto library. So Apple hid the photos inside of a package. What are you trying to do? Maybe someone here can help you with a particular task you want to do.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    Well for instance, if i want to attach a photo on a message board, the site will open up a window to browse my files. But...the photo file won't show up because i can't get past the iPhoto Library to see the individual files. So I have to get around that by dragging the file onto the desktop, doing what needs to be done, then moving it back to its original location. For whatever reason, that just seems like an unnecessary step or three.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    you shouldselect the photo/s you want to use in iphoto then just pull down the file menu and select export,choose location (desktop is handy) and the photos are there in a flash. during the export you can select the type and quality you want them done as.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Seems like a useless extra step in such a logical operating system; and it clutters up the desktop. Oh well...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    If you're using Leopard...

When you're uploading a photo to a message board and you're in the File Open window, scroll down in the sidebar to the Media section and select Photos. It will then show you're photo albums, etc.

If you want to drag a drop a picture somewhere you can just drag the icon from iPhoto to whichever app you're looking for.

If you're in the finder after having clicked Show File in iPhoto, you can then drag the picture file to the File Open window and the window will switch to the picture location. The same thing works when dragging the icon from iPhoto to a file open window.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

If you're using Leopard...

When you're uploading a photo to a message board and you're in the File Open window, scroll down in the sidebar to the Media section and select Photos. It will then show you're photo albums, etc.

If you want to drag a drop a picture somewhere you can just drag the icon from iPhoto to whichever app you're looking for.

If you're in the finder after having clicked Show File in iPhoto, you can then drag the picture file to the File Open window and the window will switch to the picture location. The same thing works when dragging the icon from iPhoto to a file open window.

Wow, I've been using OS X since the first day it came out and all of this is new to me. All very useful and a bit more intuitive now that I know how to use it. Thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Here is an easy way if you are running Mac OS X 10.5. The lower left side of the window has a default search for "All Images". It is sorted by the date "last opened". It should be there.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Ok, what if i want to browse the pictures in the Finder without going through iPhoto?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _ alliance _ View Post

Ok, what if i want to browse the pictures in the Finder without going through iPhoto?

You have a choice. Use iPhoto or not using iPhoto. If you continue to use iPhoto you will have to look inside the iPhoto library package as you are currently doing by right-clicking. If you choose to not use iPhoto you can store your pictures in a regular Finder window. You even have the option of using a thumbnail of the photo for its icon.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I see.

What about options for backing up these pictures? I can't very well just drag the iPhoto Library icon over to my Time Capsule. Easier way than just opening each folder by looking at the file from iPhoto?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _ alliance _ View Post

I see.

What about options for backing up these pictures? I can't very well just drag the iPhoto Library icon over to my Time Capsule. Easier way than just opening each folder by looking at the file from iPhoto?

iPhoto's contents – and everything else on my internal HD; except what I specified in Time Machine's options to be ignored – get backed up to my external HDs (mirrored) fully automatically, alliance. No need to specifically select iPhoto's library to back it up.

But if you want to back up some photos from iPhoto, but not others, I would export those 'some photos' to a specific Finder folder to be backed up by/in Time Machine/Capsule's regular schedule, while setting Time Machine/Capsule's options to ignore backing up iPhoto (with the photos you don't want backed up).

Or the other way around, if you prefer.

But I consider that cumbersome and inconvenient. As far as I'm concerned it's more convenient to keep your images well organised in iPhoto, and back up the whole thing.

But convenience is not necessarily wise or safe!

So what I do, because it's an even better m.o., imo, is: I keep my photos organised in a folder structure outside iPhoto (regularly backed up together with the rest of my internal HD's contents using Time Machine). I use iPhoto only for fast, but manual/individual image editing of sizable numbers of photos (like 90% of wedding/event photos). Per job. It is that good, imo! I import the originals, edit them, export them to that external photo folder structure, and Trash them from iPhoto. As a consequence my iPhoto library isn't very big, and I have all my photos in a manageable folder structure, which can be read/accessed in any PC, Mac, Linux, or even mainframe environment, while not being dependent on (a.k.a. locked in by) iPhoto (i.e. Apple).

I would do the same if I used Aperture, LR2, PSP, or any other editor with built-in library options. In fact I do the same with CS4 and GraphicConverter. I like to keep my photo storage independent of any particular market party, because I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket, and to totally surrender to the whims of any one third party. In this case one with commercial interests. Even if it's Apple!

I do it with music too: iTunes imports and converts, if necessary, sound files as/to AACs by default. Quality/size wise an impressive format, to be sure. Actually the best around! But totally, and exclusively, owned by Apple. So I changed the default to importing as MP3s (at 192kbps or higher). The market standard. Sacrificing disk space for independent compatibility.

This from a dedicated MacHead since 1985. Spirited then, cynical now, to be sure. But still a MacHead. If a cautious one.

For a good understanding: I use other editors (mainly Photoshop and GraphicConverter) as needed for finely editing specific photos (like wedding formals, portraits, products, etc.). Those edits may take me, on average, up to a half hour per photo, while I do edits in iPhoto in about 30 seconds per. So it makes good business sense to use iPhoto. When applicable! And my clients are very happy with the results too...

An application of one of the most valuable lessons I learned, from my carpentry teacher, waaay back when, who continuously harped on: " Use the appropriate tool for the job at hand! Don't hammer in a nail with a screwdriver! ". He was sooo right!

Photoshop is a fantastic tool, of course, but it is waaay overkill with the majority of images and users. It's like a Swiss army knife: very capable, very versatile, and also very expensive, and very complicated to operate. In fact, as with the Swiss army knife: most owners don't really know WTF they're doing with it...!

• Reply 12 of 12
    Yep, it's illogical to have to make a copy of every photo/video you want to use.

The work-around is to select the photo/video, click the 'info' button in the lower right, copy the name of the file, then search for it in the finder or spotlight.