My iPhone wishlist! What would you add?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I had a little problem recording videos where I recording in landscape mode & for some

reason some videos would play them back in a vertical formal. There should be an option to rotate

the orientation of the video (either in the iPhoto or in the iPhone directly.)
  • Reply 22 of 32
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Like, when I want to call I just want to press ONE BUTTON. Same with ending a call. That's what the ONE button at the bottom should do when it's in phone mode. It should be a SEND/END button.

Why send? I can't see what that would be used for, other than if you had typed in a number directly. I hardly ever do that, I usually dial from my contacts.

Regarding an End button, try pressing the top (sleep) button while in a call. There's your end button

Amorya
  • Reply 23 of 32
    for when the battery gets below 20%. Every other phone I have had has had this feature.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    fablhoffablhof Posts: 1member
    I just got my iPhone this weekend and already miss the ability to send a text to a group of friends without having to add them individually each time.

Did I miss this ability or would this be a nice add to the abilities of the iPhone?
  • Reply 25 of 32
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MassMacMini View Post

for when the battery gets below 20%. Every other phone I have had has had this feature.

It doesn't have that!?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MassMacMini View Post

it has a message but no tone.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    there are text apps that allow you to send to several, i use textfree
  • Reply 28 of 32
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Some validity here

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Alarm and phone ring volumes When trying to be discreet at night, use headphones/earbuds. The volume of your alarm will not be affected.

Pass code restriction on Mail Don't share your iPhone.

Collapsible email folders

Automatic switch off 3G when connected to a WiFi network Wouldn't make any difference.

Clock on screen while sleepingThe screen is sleeping. Counterproductive. Time is viewable with one touch of the Home button. If thats too much effort, there are digital clock apps designed for you.

Set alarm to playlist or song on iPodAny full length song can turned into a ringtone and synced to the iPhone, then set as the Alarm tone. It will play through instead of cutting off like a phone call.

Weather app with live icon like Calendar app iconUm...look outside? The only weather I don't ever need to know is what its doing this second.

iCal To Do/tasks in Calendar They can be view through Mail. Agree about iCal.

Other stuff...

SMS smileys - already exists through the use of Emoji.

Ability to shift menu pages around - No idea what this means

Ability to set custom text message sound - Agree.

• Reply 29 of 32
    New to iPhone and Apple in general. My biggest wish is to allow users to transfer files between the phone and PC without needing iTunes as if it were a USB hard drive. I know there are 3rd party apps that do this (I haven't settled on one yet) but it seems backwards this is not something done out of the box.

There are also some things that I'm sure are related to my newbie status such as how to get the keyboard to minimize while I'm creating a new email so that I can see what is inside the body (for example if you send a photo as an email). Just a little minimize keyboard arrow would do it.

I also wish there were a way to skip to next song in iPod mode by using a key, rather than having to use the screen. This is very hard to do when driving. For example the up down volume control could double as skip and previous. Maybe this can be done with voice command?

Still and all, I'm too new to have much of a wishlist. This beats the crap out of my previous RIM Curve.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

completely hands free, just like my moto v551, i should not have to handle my phone to make a call using "voice dialing" my phone could be in the back seat and with my BT headset, carkit , put voice prints on each contact,

So your moto phone is constantly checking for people's voices, even in standby? Isn't that a bit of a battery killer?
  • Reply 31 of 32
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

When trying to be discreet at night, use headphones/earbuds. The volume of your alarm will not be affected.

That's not really a solution to the problem though. I was giving an example, but it's not just about being discreet. It's about messing with apps on my iPhone and then forgetting to change the volume back. If I was just playing a game with music and wanted to turn the volume down, I have to remember to turn it back up again before bed, or I can't hear my alarm. Or another point; the text message alert is waaay too loud. So I turn my volume down, which is also my ringer volume. Then my normal alarm is too quiet.

Sony Ericsson had an excellent solution - increasing volume on ringtones. Alarms and ringers start quiet, then increase in volume over time. Even better for a morning alarm because you're not woken up with a startling noise!

Quote:

Pass code restriction on Mail Don't share your iPhone.

Oh, that's a great one. Not thought of that! if that's the answer, then why do Apple provide locks for most of the other bundled software?

Quote:

Automatic switch off 3G when connected to a WiFi network Wouldn't make any difference.

Again, a bit of a blunt answer really. Any proof of that? Surely the iPhone is still connected to the 3G network when WiFi is connected, and 3G connecting takes up more battery power than 2G. So why would it not make any difference?

Quote:

The screen is sleeping. Counterproductive. Time is viewable with one touch of the Home button. If thats too much effort, there are digital clock apps designed for you.

Yes I had thought about that and it's probably not a good idea. Battery life more important!

Quote:

Any full length song can turned into a ringtone and synced to the iPhone, then set as the Alarm tone. It will play through instead of cutting off like a phone call.

Yes I know, and that wasn't the suggestion. Even if I duplicated my whole music library and convert them to ringtones, I'd still have no way of choosing one randomly from a Playlist as an alarm. Adding a feature to set a Playlist as a ringtone instead of a ringtone would be extremely easy for Apple.

Quote:

Weather app with live icon like Calendar app icon

Um...look outside? The only weather I don't ever need to know is what its doing this second.

Heh... True. Although I do see a lot of places that display the current local temperature. Some people find that type of thing interesting. So, if the app icon isn't going to show the right temperature, it shouldn't really show it at all.

Quote:

iCal To Do/tasks in Calendar They can be view through Mail. Agree about iCal.

Yes the Mail thing is read-only which is pretty useless on a "smart phone". I'm actually torn as to which GTD app to buy for the iPhone. "Things" looks amazing, but there is no cloud server sync so unless I bought the expensive Mac app too, there's no real way of backing them up. Alternatively I could buy ToodleDo, which at least is server-based, but the app looks fuuuugly.

Quote:

SMS smileys - already exists through the use of Emoji.

Really? From what I've read, Emoji icons only show up to other iPhone users. I don't think they just replace the usual colon-hyphen-bracket etc and display as emoticons, do they? I find it weird that Apple don't include this in the Messages app; it mimics iChat in lots of other ways, but not this.

Quote:

Ability to shift menu pages around - No idea what this means

Exactly what it says. For example, I want to swap my second page of apps with the third... That kind of thing. I'm sure Apple will eventually add some functionality like this now that people are downloading more and more apps.

Quote:

Ability to set custom text message sound - Agree.

Hooray!
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Hi all,

Well I finally made the switch to the iPhone as soon as the 3GS came out. It's lovely, of course and I wouldn't go back... But I've compiled a list of annoyances and wishes I thought I'd share with you. Some of them I may be able to sort out with apps if you can help?...

Alarm and phone ring volumes

This is probably my biggest annoyance. I may be watching a YouTube clip, or some music very quietly when I go to bed so I don't wake anyone. But if I don't turn the volume up again before I put it down, my morning alarm will be next to silent. There should definitely be a separate control for the alarm and ring volumes. An increasing alarm/ring option (like on my old Sony Ericsson) would be even more greatly appreciated.

Pass code restriction on Mail

I don't get this. I can turn on password restriction to a lot of the apps, but not Mail? Surely if there's one app that I don't want other people poking around in it's the Mail app?

Collapsible email folders

I have lots of email folders and it takes a while to scroll through them to find the one I want, so collapsing folders would be cool. Also a smaller font would mean being able to fit more on a page... That font is huuuge!

Automatic switch off 3G when connected to a WiFi network

Nifty idea of mine. would be good to save battery life non? Or maybe it wouldn't make any difference? Discuss.

Clock on screen while sleeping

It would be nice, but I can imagine it won't happen due to the screen actually being switched off to save power. I guess maybe eventually they'll employ a second e-ink display for that on later models... Maybe.

Set alarm to playlist or song on iPod

Like a clock radio... Would be good to wake up with music rather than a ringtone...

Weather app with live icon like Calendar app icon

I'm constantly told the weather is 23° and sunny it would be good to employ the same Calendar technology to the Weather app so I can see the current weather info without opening the app...

iCal To Do/tasks in Calendar

I know there are a load of ToDo apps on the App store, but I don't get why I can use the To Do list from iCal on the Mac, read it and update it on MobileMe, but can't even see it let alone edit it on the iPhone? I could download a To Do app, but then it won't be in sync with my iCal To Do list. Why, Apple, why?

Other stuff...

SMS smileys

Ability to shift menu pages around

Ability to set custom text message sound

All are quite good suggestions save the clock on sleep mode thing. I bet that's never going to happen for now.