Startup Sound - How to mute ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
well....I said it all in the subject. HOW DO I DISABLE THE STARTUP SOUND in Mac OSX 10.2 ???

Any help will be apreciated.

Txs a lot

Vasco

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    The startup chime uses the global system volume settings. If you mute the volume before shutting down, the chime will also be muted. If you turn the volume to the max, the chime will be very loud.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I read that someone had an AppleScript to mute on shutdown, in the shutdown folder and unmute on startup, in the startup folder. That was under 9 though.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    also,if you are in a library or classroom situation, or, anywhere you just want to mute that one occurance of start up, immediately after you press the on switch, hold in the f3 key. this will result in no start up chime for that one time only. (this is on an iBook. i dont know about a PowerBook).

thnX!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Boot into OS 9 and turn the sound down. Boot back into OS X. (The options above may be more preferable.)
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Txs all you guys !!

I guess i will have to try to remember to mute it before i shut down.

Ciao

Vasco
  • Reply 6 of 20
    muting before shutting down does NOT mute the startup chime (at least on my comp). i've tried this many times while trying to reboot with my roomate asleep. but...it chimes away like always and i'm always afraid it's gonna piss him off and i'm gonna get ass-raped in my sleep...
  • Reply 7 of 20
    On my iMac running 10.1.5 if you mute before you shut down there will be no chime when you start up. But if you turn the volume back on and reboot it will chime as normal, you can't seem to change how long the chime is.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>muting before shutting down does NOT mute the startup chime (at least on my comp). i've tried this many times while trying to reboot with my roomate asleep. but...it chimes away like always and i'm always afraid it's gonna piss him off and i'm gonna get ass-raped in my sleep...</strong><hr></blockquote>

wut machine are you running? os? ur roomate must be a lite sleeper if the boot chime wakes him up.(and um... gets him that mad) I think the sound is nice compared to the blast of sound when booting windows.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Man 020581:

<strong>

wut machine are you running? os? ur roomate must be a lite sleeper if the boot chime wakes him up.(and um... gets him that mad) I think the sound is nice compared to the blast of sound when booting windows.</strong><hr></blockquote>

up to date on everything on X, w/ an old 2000 imac dvse. my comps starting to get old, so a few things arent working right anymore--ie, the screensaver doesnt always turn on after the set time. just small little things, but it's been a long time since i've done a reformat. i think it's mostly because i didnt do a clean install of 10.2...

oh well. i guess i can't give any advice w/ X anymore, cause mine has become a quirky exception to every rule.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I'm going to respond just to bring this thread back to the top...Surely there should be a way to stop this without having to remember to turn the volume down before shutting down. I'd like this option.

Experts, is there a way?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    my problem is that i do have headphones pluged in, and if i forget to mute the computer before shutdown, on startup i get a huge chime thru my nice sennhiesers, which has already destroyed one capsul (luckly they can be replaced) so an automatic way to mute or a way to dissable the chime compleatly would be very cool.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    Tonton,

Ok, I might resort to earphones, then. Not a hi-tech solution but the only sure-fire one here.

Naive question then: Can you use the same type of earphones as for a boom box? I have a 733 Power Mac. Don't laugh, Ive never used earphones with my computer.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by reynard:

<strong>

Naive question then: Can you use the same type of earphones as for a boom box? I have a 733 Power Mac. Don't laugh, Ive never used earphones with my computer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I like this kind of question All earphones are the same : 2 little speakers with wires ! Only difference is design and speaker/wires quality, and sometime the plug. So yes, you can.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Thank you Microtrash,

I have my cheap boombox headphones plugged in right now and am listening to The Who on a classic music station via iTunes!

And Im glad you liked my question. Oh, I have one more. What is the nature of gravity? Like, is it a particle or a wave?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by reynard:

<strong>What is the nature of gravity? Like, is it a particle or a wave?</strong><hr></blockquote>I like this kind of question. It's neither. Gravity is a bend in spacetime.

Perhaps you were thinking of light wave-particle duality, no?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    Brad,

"Oh, dear what have I started" with this gravity thing? I hope nothing. I just wanted to emphasize how simple the chime-stopping solution is--plug in some headphones!

I'm no physicist but I do know that the nature of gravity(gravitation) is one of great mysteries of nature. Like light, I believe it is thought that it has properties of particles and waves. Let me see if I can paste this quote:

"There's a whole side to the universe we don't have any other way to observe except by gravitational waves," said Kip Thorne, a Caltech theoretical physicist and one of the founders of LIGO.

Just as electricity has its electrons and light has its fundamental particles known as photons, gravity should also exist in particle form as "gravitons." But because of the nature of gravity, Thorne said, with our current technical abilities there is no way to actually detect such a fundamental particle as the ephemeral graviton.

Our best bet is to catch a wave.

Here is the URL: <a href="http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/72187_gravity28.shtml"; target="_blank">http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/72187_gravity28.shtml</a>;

BTW, I read an interesting description of your mention of gravity bending space-time. We've all heard that the gravitational forces of black holes are so great that not even light escapes. But its not as though the black holes are pulling in light from space as the earth "pulls" us in, its that it pulls in the entire space so that there is no place else for the light to go! So if you get a spaceship please don't fly too close to a black hole people. It won't feel the spaceship turning toward the hole, it will just seem like you are continuing in a straight line directly into the center.

ANyway, my headphones take care of the chime quite nicely.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Boot into Mac OS 9, open the Sound Control Panel, turn the system volume all the way up, then tick the mute box.

Now reboot into Mac OS X.

You will no longer again hear the startup chime, and you will still hear sound in Mac OS X.