spyware

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
How do I know if there is spyware on my mac or is there spyware out there that works on mac? I use Liwewire and how do I know that there isn't spyware. I have OS X 10.1.5

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    i believe that no spyware[s] have been made for mac [9/x] yet.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I believe that the reason for not (yet) seeing a Mac version of Kazaa, is because spyware wouldn't work the same on a Mac.

(I don't know how much of this is in any way accurate)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I vaguely remember something about Netsuck logging your searches (not via Google or anything, just browser search) to Netscape. Not that web-based search engines don't do that already, just pointing that out.

Only example I can think of. Unless you want to consider Remote Desktop or Timbuktu Pro 2000 spyware (which they can potentially be used as, though I think of them as useful utilities for remote administration. )
  • Reply 4 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>I vaguely remember something about Netsuck logging your searches (not via Google or anything, just browser search) to Netscape.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes.

[quote]<strong>Only example I can think of. Unless you want to consider Remote Desktop or Timbuktu Pro 2000 spyware (which they can potentially be used as, though I think of them as useful utilities for remote administration. )</strong><hr></blockquote>

Huh? Spyware? At best, you could perhaps consider them trojan horses, but not spyware.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Depends on your definition of spyware.

The aforementioned programs can certainly be used to spy on others.

• Reply 6 of 10
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    So what exacly does spyware spy on/record?

I use kazaa on the PCee infrequently, and while im not too bothered, as i dont exactly have any sensitive info, Id be pissed if my online bank account was being spyed on in explorer by kazaa
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Chucker is right, Spart. Those apps are not at all spyware. Sure, they may fit your own made-up definition of spyware, but they do not fit the most common definition of spyware (see below).

KaZaA is one of the most well known apps that utilizes spyware. Once you're installed it, MarcUK, you've also installed all of its helper apps that run invisibly in the background, using your CPU and bandwidth to report back things like what you search for and what web sites you visit. It will also download updates automatically, often without your knowledge. Who knows what the next update could contain?

If you google for kazaa and spyware, you'll find a number of resources. Here's one with a concise explanation regarding Kazaa specifically:

<a href="http://www.isu.edu:8000/kb/disppage.php?doc_id=335"; target="_blank">http://www.isu.edu:8000/kb/disppage.php?doc_id=335</a>;

[quote]What is spyware?

To put it in it's simplest form, spyware is a piece of software that is installed on a person's computer which gathers various data about the users of the infected computer, and passes that information on to others, all with neither the user's knowledge nor permission. The information it gathers from the user will invariably be about his or her websurfing habits, his or her email address, and in some cases, passwords and credit card numbers.

Most are considered legal only because they include long, convoluted, dense, and hard-to-read legal disclaimers that their maker knows people will never read. People will unwittingly install these products when they install something else, just like a trojan virus. The most common way to get infested these days is by installing certain of the popular peer-to-peer file-swapping products now on the market.

Nearly all of the file-swapping programs now routinely come bundled with so-called adware or spyware--programs that automatically pop up advertisements while people surf the Web or that keep track of where someone surfs, information that can then be sold to marketing companies. Despite growing concerns about this bundled software, usage and downloads of the file-swapping programs are at an all-time high.

Is Kazaa a spyware?

KaZaa, the popular file-sharing program, installs numerous spyware/malware tag-a-longs, including New.net, Onflow, WebHancer, msbb, TOPtext and CydoorSpyware that manipulate the computer's memory and user/system resources. These apps running in the background without the user's knowledge quite often lead to conflicts, crashes, and general system instability.

These apps then go on to steal the user's internet connection's bandwidth to send this information back to it's creators. In many cases, the spyware will download new ads, instructions, and/or updates.

People who accept 'terms of service' already distributed with Kazaa's software are already agreeing to let their computers be used without any payment at all.<hr></blockquote>

And here's a page describing Kazaa Lite and how it gets around Kazaa's spyware:

<a href="http://kazaalite_69.tripod.com/kazaa/kazaa1.html"; target="_blank">http://kazaalite_69.tripod.com/kazaa/kazaa1.html</a>;

As has been mentioned already, there are no known spyware apps available for Mac OS X yet. I believe it is also true that Kazaa has not been actively developed for Mac OS X because of the effort needed to get its hidden spy apps to run properly and invisibly on OSX.

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I have Kazaa on a PC and when I want to do any that involves credit card or banking I run Ad Aware and remove the Kazaa spyware, cydor.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    heh, my roomie always has to force quit msbb because it continually locks up his system. too bad that kazza works better than limewire/acqusition
  • Reply 10 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Chucker is right, Spart. Those apps are not at all spyware. Sure, they may fit your own made-up definition of spyware, but they do not fit the most common definition of spyware (see below).</strong><hr></blockquote>

You have no sense of humor at all.