Worker commits suicide after iPhone prototype goes missing - reports

Comments

• Reply 61 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Precisely. I believe China is potentially the most dangerous force in the world today, if you look beyond the more immediate threats. Over a billion people living with few human rights, being fed into the most gigantic economic shredder ever conceived. Compared to the period of notorious uber-capitalism of the late 19th century in the US, the scale of what is going on in China today staggers the mind -- especially when you consider that they have no political system to mitigate excesses. I wonder where it will end, what it will come to. I have a bad feeling about it.

I agree with you about the 'bad feeling.'

But the undeniable issue is, the Chinese do lead much better lives today than they did a couple of decades ago. And much of it is thanks to manufacturing being outsourced to China, and to world trade. What is your alternative prescription for how these billion+ people should lead better lives?
  • Reply 62 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I agree with you, but it's not that simple. If we were to change our tax laws, and companies stopped building things in China, China would simply call in that gigantic debt we owe them. It's too late now to stop doing business with China altogether.

Just a little perspective, 60% of the debt is owned by Americans and American Institutions, 40% is owned by outside Sovereign nations of that 8% is owned by China. America is still the largest, most efficient manufacturer in the world. The key is a strong dollar maintained by governmental policies. Having said that I also wish Apple manufactured its products in the US. If Toyota, Honda and Nissan can do it. Apple should be able to negotiate favorable terms with individual states.

At a minimum Apple should suspend all relationships with Foxconn post haste because of this incident and make other arrangements.
  • Reply 63 of 176
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwingrav View Post

Pet peeve of mine...

Communism is a form of government which chooses economic policies to achieve its philosophy. Capitalism is an economic system. Fascism is explicitly a mix of government and economics. China is an odd case since it is a communist government with an extreme form of capitalism but only in limited markets.

Yes, I am aware it says Capitalism is a social system in Wikipedia. It is wrong.

You are right, but you are being very purist. Capitalism as an economic system pretty much controls any underlying social system, I'd argue.
  • Reply 64 of 176
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But the undeniable issue is, the Chinese do lead much better lives today than they did a couple of decades ago. And much of it is thanks to manufacturing being outsourced to China, and to world trade. What is your alternative prescription for how these billion+ people should lead better lives?

You agree with me about something? Hold the presses!

Yes, some Chinese do lead better lives today, but many don't, especially in the rural areas where the government has reduced spending on education and health care, in order to drive more workers into the cities. The working conditions in the cities are very poor -- workers are effectively warehoused, and when they can't keep up with the pace and the conditions, they are fired. More are available to take their places. It's a brutal system.

My alternative prescription to authoritarianism is a lack of authoritarianism. Democracy would be the prescription. An ability of people to protect themselves from exploitation.
  • Reply 65 of 176
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do you even have to ask?

Democracy!

People who don't know history or economics are doomed to sound clueless when talking about international trade.
  • Reply 66 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Do you even have to ask?

Democracy!

Told ya

Now ask him what we should all do when the people vote to continue the explosive growth policies that have gotten them so many gains in the past 30 years.
  • Reply 67 of 176
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I think its time Apple bring its production facilities back to the US. Give the US workers much needed jobs, bring back made in the US. I'm sure Apple would get some massive tax breaks if they wanted to do so. And I'm not blaming Apple for this. It just seems like Apple is having all kinds of issues now days.

I do feel bad for the worker. I mean what if he really did just misplace it and doesn't know where it is. Killing yourself over something so silly. Almost not worth the job.....
  • Reply 68 of 176
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Precisely. I believe China is potentially the most dangerous force in the world today, if you look beyond the more immediate threats. Over a billion people living with few human rights, being fed into the most gigantic economic shredder ever conceived. Compared to the period of notorious uber-capitalism of the late 19th century in the US, the scale of what is going on in China today staggers the mind -- especially when you consider that they have no political system to mitigate excesses. I wonder where it will end, what it will come to. I have a bad feeling about it.

Gee, except that the Chinese people are happier than ever and 74% like the current free enterprise system backed by strong government regulation and 86% like the direction the country is going.

The primary areas of (economic) discontent is with corruption driven economic disparity. Something the party is not unaware of given that's how the CCP got into power in the first place.

If there's something those guys understand is how corrupt capitalists get overthrown by "socalists" and are looking to mitigate these problems in as much as their necks depend on it.

http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=261
  • Reply 69 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Waiting for the "blame Apple crowd" to show.

Damn straight I'll blame Apple. A vendor pulling a stunt like this doesn't happen in a vacuum. That company had already been "deficient" in the past, and Apple - instead of finding another company - decided to believe their bullshit stories and now - oops - is that blood on my iPhone?

Why YES - yes it is.

Stay classy Apple indeed. Isn't there a nice company in Singapore or Taiwan available right about now, or do you want to continue to use a company that seems to regard itself a high-tech prison camp?

And to the corporate apologists, perhaps you could take a lead from this young man's example and take a flying leap.
  • Reply 70 of 176
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A 25-year-old man reportedly committed suicide after an iPhone prototype he was responsible for went missing, leading to alleged "unbearable interrogation techniques" in the ensuing investigation, according to a Chinese publication.

How does a 25 year old man in Chine become responsible for an iPhone prototype? How are these prototypes protected? If these units are so top secret how come they are not gps enabled? I mean, I hate the idea of a 25 year old coming under so much pressure he feels the only way out is to jump out a window but how senior could this guy be at that age?
  • Reply 71 of 176
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Unions are the reason things in the US aren't like they are in China. Sure, there are greedy Unions, but on a whole it is not their fault the economy is in the mess it is in. Greed on the part of manufacturers is the reason the jobs left. The eighties were the greatest economic time our Country has ever seen. Things were made here then. The manufacturers used some of their increased wealthy to pay off Congress to get so called free trade agreements passed so not only did foreign built products not have to pay importation taxes, but also so slave labor could be used. The companies were making money before the manufacturing went overseas. Now they are making far more money, just at the expense of our Countries values.

It is not possible for American workers to compete with workers who have no voice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Seriously, people don't seem to understand that capitalism on communism is like lipstick on a pig.

Maybe if we can free up the death grip of some of the unions in the US we can move some of these jobs back home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for workers having some sort of representation to make sure they don't get screwed by corporations, but some of the demands of these union managers are just to line their own pockets & don't get anything for the worker.

• Reply 72 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I think its time Apple bring its production facilities back to the US. Give the US workers much needed jobs, bring back made in the US. I'm sure Apple would get some massive tax breaks if they wanted to do so. And I'm not blaming Apple for this. It just seems like Apple is having all kinds of issues now days.

So you're saying the government should be paying the workers' salary to move them back to the USA? Doesn't sound very capitalistic. (That IS what taxbreaks for jobs equal).
  • Reply 73 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

And to the corporate apologists, perhaps you could take a lead from this young man's example and take a flying leap.

I love it when people take, and hold, the moral high ground.
  • Reply 74 of 176
    Quote:

So you're saying the government should be paying the workers' salary to move them back to the USA? Doesn't sound very capitalistic. (That IS what taxbreaks for jobs equal).

So we should keep jobs overseas and leave US citizens looking for jobs? You do know millions of jobs have been shipped overseas right?

The tax breaks would be to build the facilities like Apple got for building a data center in NC. Not a tax break for paying for the salaries/benefits of US workers. Of course they would still be up to Apple to provide.
  • Reply 75 of 176
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Like any good leader, Steve Jobs flew to China to throw him out the window to set an example.

I know it's not right, but...
  • Reply 76 of 176
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Unions are the reason things in the US aren't like they are in China. Sure, there are greedy Unions, but on a whole it is not their fault the economy is in the mess it is in. Greed on the part of manufacturers is the reason the jobs left. The eighties were the greatest economic time our Country has ever seen. Things were made here then. The manufacturers used some of their increased wealthy to pay off Congress to get so called free trade agreements passed so not only did foreign built products not have to pay importation taxes, but also so slave labor could be used. The companies were making money before the manufacturing went overseas. Now they are making far more money, just at the expense of our Countries values.

It is not possible for American workers to compete with workers who have no voice.

FYI: 7 out of 8 US workers are not unionized. (In the private sector, 9 out of 10 are non-union).
  • Reply 77 of 176
    Quote:

So we should keep jobs overseas and leave US citizens looking for jobs? You do know millions of jobs have been shipped overseas right?

The average person is better off because of international trade. Some are made worse off, but many more are made better off. So yes, we should keep jobs overseas and leave unskilled US citizens looking for jobs (or hopefully, looking for and obtaining the skills to get better jobs).

Quote:

The tax breaks would be to build the facilities like Apple got for building a data center in NC. Not a tax break for paying for the salaries/benefits of US workers. Of course they would still be up to Apple to provide.

I find your cognitive dissonance in this matter impressive.
  • Reply 78 of 176
    Quote:

The average person is better off because of international trade. Some are made worse off, but many more are made better off. So yes, we should keep jobs overseas and leave unskilled US citizens looking for jobs (or hopefully, looking for and obtaining the skills to get better jobs).

I find your cognitive dissonance in this matter impressive.

I'm glad you don't run anything with our country.... Your thinking is the prime reason we are in the position were in today.... But whatever...moving on.....
  • Reply 79 of 176
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Pre-recession, the unemployment rate in the US has hovered between 4% and 6% - i.e., about 95% of the people looking for work in the US have generally found it. (Currently the rate is close to 10%, but that is because of the economic slowdown.)

How does outsourcing explain that?
  • Reply 80 of 176
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

I fully agree. My Apple SE proudly says "Made in U.S.A." and it was made well; it still works. Why would we not be able to do this any more?

The current policy of laying people off in the USA and produce in low-wage countries is a dead-end street. I wish that Apple would play a model role here and put the "Made in U.S.A." sticker back on their products.

Why don't they "make stuff here anymore"? Because we don't have a currency artificially pegged to the dollar... we have the dollar. Magically cut the cost of everything by 1/7th, then we'll talk.