Entourage 2004 vs. Mail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Been using Entourage 2004 since, well, 2004 or so, but have had thoughts about moving over to Apple's Mail application (especially since a Mac repair guy told me that Microsoft is thinking about not supporting it anymore past the next version of Office).

Just wanted to pick people's brains about the pros and cons of each, and which application you prefer. I'm leaning towards Entourage because of the simple functions it has that Mail doesn't seem to (e.g.: next message/previous message arrows within a mail message window, ability to file messages into folders from within a mail message without dragging), but Entourage seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to randomly declaring incoming mail as junk and I've missed a few important e-mails because of that (even though some addresses are in the address book or from safe domains).

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RockTheGlobe View Post

... (especially since a Mac repair guy told me that Microsoft is thinking about not supporting it anymore past the next version of Office).

Your Mac repair guy is full of crap. Microsoft is supposed to make the next version of Entourage much more of an Exchange server management tool than it is now. This will bring it much closer to parity with Outlook. The next Entourage will be close to what it should have been when the product was introduced back in 2001.

Its awful spam filter is only one of Entourage 2004's many faults. I switched to it only after a server upgrade rendered our Exchange server incompatible with Mail's Exchange settings. I now use Entourage 2008. I am given to understand that Entourage 2008 can autodiscover an Exchange server on your LAN. As I said before, Microsoft is reported to dramatically improve Exchange support in the next version of Entourage. Apple is supposed to dramatically improve Exchange support in the Snow Leopard version of Mail.

If you like the way Microsoft does things, then you may want to stick with Entourage. If you prefer the Apple way, then Mail/Address Book/iCal is the way to go.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    One issue with Entourage is that it stores the database as one huge file whereas Mail uses individual files per email. The latter makes Mail recovery and backup a lot easier if you have a lot of emails and big attachments.

I personally use Mail but Entourage works pretty well. Try both before committing to one or the other.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Need some help, using microsoft office 2008 i can send and receive mail but the mail that i send is not received. if i reply to a email the sender will receive my reply
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randyjohnston View Post

Need some help, using microsoft office 2008 i can send and receive mail but the mail that i send is not received. if i reply to a email the sender will receive my reply

It is not nice to double-post.