Which 4G wirless technology does Apple intend to support?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Will it be WiMax or LTE?



I'm trying to predict the moves Apple might make based on what 4G technology Apple might support in the future.

Can you guys help me out?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    Will it be WiMax or LTE?



    I'm trying to predict the moves Apple might make based on what 4G technology Apple might support in the future.

    Can you guys help me out?



    My guess is LTE.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    ksecksec Posts: 1,567member
    It will definately be LTE, the question i always ask is,



    Name me ONE advantage WiMax has over LTE?



    As far as i am concern it has Zero.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    My guess is LTE.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post


    It will definately be LTE, the question i always ask is,



    Name me ONE advantage WiMax has over LTE?



    As far as i am concern it has Zero.



    Well then....



    there goes my theory that Apple, Intel, and Google was secretly planning on buying up Sprint. \



    I therefore see Apple definately ending it's exclusivity deal with AT&T so they can add Verizon as a carrier.

    AT&T and Verizon together should satisfy the needs of the iPhone customers.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    Well then....



    there goes my theory that Apple, Intel, and Google was secretly planning on buying up Sprint. \



    I therefore see Apple definately ending it's exclusivity deal with AT&T so they can add Verizon as a carrier.

    AT&T and Verizon together should satisfy the needs of the iPhone customers.



    What do you not understand regarding Verizon? They dictate the Apps and OS on phones they support.



    There is a reason AT&T and Apple are enjoying their partnership.



    When AT&T moves to rolling out 4G Apple will be there helping.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    What do you not understand regarding Verizon? They dictate the Apps and OS on phones they support.



    There is a reason AT&T and Apple are enjoying their partnership.



    When AT&T moves to rolling out 4G Apple will be there helping.



    There's nothing stopping them from going with Spring and T-Mobile, though. Here's an interesting tidbit: According to the Register in the UK, Apple still has an exclusive deal with O2 for the iPhone 3G S. However, they offer the 3G to other carriers. It's probably a sign of things to come in the U.S.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    What do you not understand regarding Verizon? They dictate the Apps and OS on phones they support.



    There is a reason AT&T and Apple are enjoying their partnership.



    When AT&T moves to rolling out 4G Apple will be there helping.



    4G? AT&T hasn't bothered to update to 3G for most of its network...or even have a network in most places. Verizon's network and 3G upgrades are much more extension.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post


    There's nothing stopping them from going with Spring and T-Mobile, though. Here's an interesting tidbit: According to the Register in the UK, Apple still has an exclusive deal with O2 for the iPhone 3G S. However, they offer the 3G to other carriers. It's probably a sign of things to come in the U.S.



    They offer it because the European Union requires it and anyone willing to respect Apple's complete autonomy for their devices have always been welcome.



    Verizon chooses to be the to tell the phone vendor how its going to be developed and much more.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post


    4G? AT&T hasn't bothered to update to 3G for most of its network...or even have a network in most places. Verizon's network and 3G upgrades are much more extension.



    AT&T will test 4G in late 2010 and start regionally deploying it in 2011. Apple's next phone will be ready for it before it formally rolls out.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I think when Verizon rolls out their 4g network, Apple will offer them the iPhone, or should offer them the iPhone. There are just too many customers on the Verizon network to ignore, Verizon's network is top notch and I suspect Verizon will beat ATT to the punch when it comes to 4g deployment.



    If Verizon continue to demand control over the iPhone and Apple balk as they should, then Verizon are idiots.



    It'll be interesting to see if and how the Pre gets deployed on Verizons' network. It'll help determine if the conditions will exist that'll be acceptable for Apple to release the iPhone on Verizon's network.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I could be wrong but I was under the impression that it is a done deal. In the US that would mean at least two supporting service providers for iPhone. Further because Apple apparently only wants to support one standard it means alternative vendors are years away. I wouldn't expect widespread LTE support until late 2011.



    It may be elementary anyways as the little battery in iPhone can barely support the current rev of 3G. Try to push even more data and can't imagining the battery lasting long. Apple will need new integration or battery tech or both to deliver a viable LTE device.



    Dave
  • Reply 11 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    I think when Verizon rolls out their 4g network, Apple will offer them the iPhone, ...



    How you figure that? When Verizon rolls out its 4G network, the vast majority of its network will still be CDMA. Verizon will require different versions of the iPhone 4G than those used by AT&T customers. Will Apple engineer the dying CDMA technologies into the iPhone for the exclusive use of Verizon customers? I doubt it.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post


    According to the Register in the UK, Apple still has an exclusive deal with O2 for the iPhone 3G S. However, they offer the 3G to other carriers.



    The Register's record on Apple-related stories is pretty poor.



    Mind you, I can't find the article to which you refer, do you have a link? There was a story about T-Mobile (a relatively small player here in the UK) buying up grey market unlocked phones, but I'm not sure I believe that.



    You can't buy an iPhone on any network other than O2 (who, for what it's worth, are the largest in the UK).
  • Reply 13 of 22
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    How you figure that? When Verizon rolls out its 4G network, the vast majority of its network will still be CDMA. Verizon will require different versions of the iPhone 4G than those used by AT&T customers. Will Apple engineer the dying CDMA technologies into the iPhone for the exclusive use of Verizon customers? I doubt it.



    It would be pretty easy for Apple to sell 1 to 2 millon iPhones to Verizon customers. That's easily 1 billon in revenue. That will cover developement costs petty easily, no?



    And Verrizon will likely be the first to roll out a 4g network (WiMax notwithstanding). I don't think Apple will want to allow competitors to tout 4g capability before the iPhone. LTE is potentially a 'game changer' as far as speed is concerned.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    It would be pretty easy for Apple to sell 1 to 2 millon iPhones to Verizon customers. That's easily 1 billon in revenue. That will cover developement costs petty easily, no?



    ....



    No. Different chip set that is limited to US customers. Order of magnitude smaller economies of scale. Apple either accepts smaller margin on Verizon sales, sells to Verizon at a higher price, negotiates a higher subsidy from Verizon than from AT&T, or some combination of the three. Bad business all the way around.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    AT&T will test 4G in late 2010 and start regionally deploying it in 2011. Apple's next phone will be ready for it before it formally rolls out.



    Which is great if you're in New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles. AT&T focuses on high visibility, not so much on a comprehensive network.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    No. Different chip set that is limited to US customers. Order of magnitude smaller economies of scale. Apple either accepts smaller margin on Verizon sales, sells to Verizon at a higher price, negotiates a higher subsidy from Verizon than from AT&T, or some combination of the three. Bad business all the way around.



    You're ignoring the development of the iPhone.



    Originally Apple negotiated with Verizon instead of ATT. If they had intentions of selling the iPhone internationally when it was originally designed, then Apple have always considered supporting GSm and CMDA cell phones.



    Look Apple is the only handset maker that doesn't make CMDA and GSM phones. It isn't that hard. The difficulty of doing so is overstated.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    You're ignoring the development of the iPhone.



    Originally Apple negotiated with Verizon instead of ATT. If they had intentions of selling the iPhone internationally when it was originally designed, then Apple have always considered supporting GSm and CMDA cell phones.



    .... It isn't that hard. The difficulty of doing so is overstated.



    All you have done is to say that Apple coulda made a CMDA phone. The fact is that it did not. The iPhone is now in its third year as a GSM-exclusive phone with CDMA headed for the scrap heap of technology. Nobody said that manufacturing a CDMA iPhone was hard. Owing to the economies of scale, CDMA iPhones would cost more and earn less profit per unit.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    All you have done is to say that Apple coulda made a CMDA phone...



    And that they will in the future. Time will tell.



    Your reasons why they won't make an iPhone that'll work on Verizon's network don't impress me. Apple are widely rumored to be making a special iPhone for the Chinese market. While we're talking a much larger market, it still re-enforces the my belief that Apple will make special iPhones for specific markets. Eventually the low hanging fruit will have been picked. To grow sales then, Apple will have to look making specialized iPhones for specific markets.



    Let's see what happens with the Pre. I think that'll be a good predictor. IMO it similar to the iphone in capability and design and would likely benefit the most (along with the iPhone) from a 4g network. A 4g Pre could have significant advantages over a 3g iPhone. I don't think Apple will let the Pre get that advantage.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    ksecksec Posts: 1,567member
    Personally i dont think Apple will make an Special version of iPhone only for China. However they will likely make a cheaper version iPhone that Fits China Requirement and sell it Internationally.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    They offer it because the European Union requires it and anyone willing to respect Apple's complete autonomy for their devices have always been welcome.



    You're wrong, they don't require it.
Sign In or Register to comment.