U.S. carries most of iPhone, iPod touch market, for now - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
More than half of all iPhone and iPod touch users worldwide are from the U.S., though international popularity of both devices is currently outpacing growth in America, a study released Thursday shows.

Though the U.S. currently has an estimated 54 percent of the iPhone and iPod touch users, the Mobile Metrics Report from AdMob for June 2009 study suggests that international sales are currently growing faster than in the U.S. In January 2009, the U.S. made up 61 percent of global usage.

The iPhone is shown to be twice as popular as the iPod touch in the U.S., with the AT&T handset carrying a two-thirds market share of devices that run the iPhone OS.

While that ratio holds true in Latin America, overseas the iPhone has a significant market share lead over the iPod touch. For example, in Eastern Europe, more than 90 percent of users on the platform have the iPhone over the iPod touch.

Still, in the overall global calculations weighed heavily by U.S. dominance, the iPhone carries a two-to-one margin.

"In other words, iPhones comprised 68% of worldwide iPhone OS devices and the iPod touch made up the other 32%," the report reads. "This ratio has remained constant over the last several months, implying a similar growth rate for both devices worldwide."

During its quarterly earnings conference call Tuesday, Apple revealed that there are 45 million iPhone and iPod touch devices in consumers' hands worldwide. AdMob based its estimates on 16 million iPhone and iPod touch users who accessed their network in June 2009. The company has a network of more than 7,000 publishers and 2,500 applications worldwide.

Other findings from the report:

Following the U.S., the United Kingdom, Germany, and France each have over 5 percent of users. As a region, Western Europe has a 26 percent share of iPhone and iPod touch users.

An estimated 13 million iPhones have been used in the U.S. since the phone launched in June 2007, while more than 1 million iPhones have been used in Germany, France, and the UK.

An estimated 12 million iPod touches have been used in the U.S. More than 1 million iPod touches have been used in the United Kingdom and Canada.

Google's Android mobile operating system increased 25 percent month over month, and has 5 percent worldwide market share -- slightly ahead of Windows Mobile.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    fail to see the significance of this!
  • Reply 2 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I hope this puts an end to the arguments by some here that the Touch line sells as many, or more devices than the iPhone line.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    The significance is that there is HUGE growth potential for Apple in the rest of the world. If you are an investor or a stock holder in Apple stock, this is useful information.

Having said that I would have thought consumption of these Apple products abroad would have been higher.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Looks like Apple has turned 2009 America into the Japan of 1984 when everyone there ran around with Walkmans. Except those products were made in Taiwan not China.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    qmt49qmt49 Posts: 2member
    Here in London you can't walk for 5 minutes without seeing an iPhone (not that that's a bad thing )
  • Reply 6 of 71
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Any figures showing what percentage of phone users in each country have an iPhone? It's not surprising that the US has the biggest portion of sales when it's got a much larger population than most other developed nations.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hope this puts an end to the arguments by some here that the Touch line sells as many, or more devices than the iPhone line.

Not that I'm one of those (and I suspect iPhone outsells iTouch, but not by much), but these statistics are from an ad agency that monitors internet access (not device sales), so to me it is not that surprising that more iPhones access the web than iTouches: the iPhone can use both telephany and WiFi while the iTouch is limited to WiFi.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Interesting to me that the Touch has a higher percentage of users in the Americas than in the rest of the world. I'm sure this has much to do with the widespread use of CDMA here.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    my favorite part is that Android is already ahead of WinMo.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

Interesting to me that the Touch has a higher percentage of users in the Americas than in the rest of the world. I'm sure this has much to do with the widespread use of CDMA here.

And/or perhaps AT&T's notoriety here?
  • Reply 11 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

Not that I'm one of those (and I suspect iPhone outsells iTouch, but not by much), but these statistics are from an ad agency that monitors internet access (not device sales), so to me it is not that surprising that more iPhones access the web than iTouches: the iPhone can use both telephany and WiFi while the iTouch is limited to WiFi.

I don't think it matters as much as you think. Besides, look at iPod sales and revenue. As iPod sales fell, so did revenue. Since we know that Apple sold 5.2 million iPhones this quarter, in order for iTouch sales to equal that, they would have had to be more than half of all iPod sales. Apple did say that Touch sales were up 130% from last year Q3. Since the cheapest Touch costs more than all iPods other than the poor selling Classic, revenue for iPod sales should have been sharply higher. Since it wasn't, we can deduce that Touch sales are a much smaller percentage of iPod sales than that, and started from a much smaller base last year.

The figures in the charts simply confirm what the arithmetic tells us.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

What it should also put an end to is folks claiming that it is fine for Apple to ignore major aspects of the U.S. market.

Quote:

In January 2009, the U.S. made up 61 percent of global usage.

Numbers like that show that claims about ignoring CDMA or other standards are silly. Claiming that ignoring someone like Verizon and Sprint which together easily make up 50% of the U.S. cell phone market. Ignoring them when the U.S. is such a large percentage of the world market means they are ignoring major numbers, 30% of the entire market is given up for free.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Any figures showing what percentage of phone users in each country have an iPhone? It's not surprising that the US has the biggest portion of sales when it's got a much larger population than most other developed nations.

ok, the US has a population of around 300 million, and has 50% of the iPhone sales, the rest of the world has a population of around 5.6 billion and has 50% of the iPhone sales, and you still find that suprising?

Also, that report lists Asia/Oceania with 10% of the iPhone/iPod touch share, when they currently have a 44% share of the cellphone market..

The only thing that report shows is the iPhone/iPod touch is more popular in the US and Canada, than the rest of the world, which is nothing suprising.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Numbers like that show that claims about ignoring CDMA or other standards are silly. Claiming that ignoring someone like Verizon and Sprint which together easily make up 50% of the U.S. cell phone market. Ignoring them when the U.S. is such a large percentage of the world market means they are ignoring major numbers, 30% of the entire market is given up for free.

What's interesting though is this:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ow_report.html

Sales and usage are moving overseas.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

I don't think it matters as much as you think. Besides, look at iPod sales and revenue. As iPod sales fell, so did revenue. Since we know that Apple sold 5.2 million iPhones this quarter, in order for iTouch sales to equal that, they would have had to be more than half of all iPod sales. Apple did say that Touch sales were up 130% from last year Q3. Since the cheapest Touch costs more than all iPods other than the poor selling Classic, revenue for iPod sales should have been sharply higher. Since it wasn't, we can deduce that Touch sales are a much smaller percentage of iPod sales than that, and started from a much smaller base last year.

The figures in the charts simply confirm what the arithmetic tells us.

Ah, but the iPhone doesn't earn less for Apple than the Touch. An iPhone is $600-$700. YOU pay $199 or $299, but AT&T pays Apple the full price.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Ah, but the iPhone doesn't earn less for Apple than the Touch. An iPhone is $600-$700. YOU pay $199 or $299, but AT&T pays Apple the full price.

And, your point is what, in relation to the sales numbers?
  • Reply 17 of 71
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    "An estimated 13 million iPhones have been used in the U.S. since the phone launched in June 2007."

"An estimated 12 million iPod touches have been used in the U.S."

How does that mean that there are twice as many iPhone users as iPod Touch users?

Somebody's statistics are all balled up.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    duecesdueces Posts: 89member
    The conclusion to be drawn from all this, and something I learned by the time I was in eighth grade and had traveled to 11 different countries is, normal people in other countries have a much, much higher rate of common sense than United Statesians.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

my favorite part is that Android is already ahead of WinMo.

Winwha?
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

What it should also put an end to is folks claiming that it is fine for Apple to ignore major aspects of the U.S. market.

This was also my first thought after reading the article.