Apple's much-anticipated tablet device coming early next year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 332
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

wife and I have 2 iphones...what exactly is the point of this tablet except as a complementary device?

Oh AaaaaL......
  • Reply 22 of 332
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I hope it looks somewhat like this...

• Reply 23 of 332
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

You guys are reading too much into the rendition. It's just to show a size comparison to the iPhone. The aspect ratio should mirror that of the iPhone.

K

Ok, sorry. Maybe you need a * and disclaimer stating that the rendition doesn't reflect actual anticipated construction materials or product size. Or anything else.
  • Reply 24 of 332
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The lighter, the better. 300 g or less would be great.

The smaller, the better. Pocketable would be great.

Firewire for repairs via Target Disk Mode.

At least two USB 2 ports for wireless remote control and pendrive.

Ethernet port.

Wifi.

Bluetooth.

Touch screen.

Full and true GPS (TomTom compatible).

Full Mac OS X for full blown presentations from NATIVE Apple Keynote and Microsoft PowerPoint via video-out port to videoprojectors (with VGA adapter cable).

Here it is:

iNetbook rerendered

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoboer/3226244527

First picture of:

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games?

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games

We need thousands for our University.

Integrated pico style projector is the future, no video out port.
  • Reply 25 of 332
    So the device will be used to only play Kro-Mag Rally?
  • Reply 26 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The lighter, the better. 300 g or less would be great.

The smaller, the better. Pocketable would be great.

It'll definitely be light, but it won't be pocketable . From the large order of 10 inch screens, this will not be a pocketable device. It'll be Apple's answer to the netbook, albeit a premium priced netbook.

Quote:

Firewire for repairs via Target Disk Mode.

At least two USB 2 ports for wireless remote control and pendrive.

Ethernet port.

How do you expect to fit all of this onto a pocketable device? The more I think about this, the more I realize that the MacBook Air was probably an early prototype for this device, much like the MacMini was an early prototype of the AppleTV. So, there will be no firewire, no ethernet, but probably at least one USB port.

Quote:

Wifi.

Bluetooth.

Touch screen.

Full and true GPS (TomTom compatible).

They should have no trouble adding all of these, as they should be standard features.

Quote:

Full Mac OS X for full blown presentations from NATIVE Apple Keynote and Microsoft PowerPoint via video-out port to videoprojectors (with VGA adapter cable).

It will probably be somewhere between the full-blown Mac OS X and the locked-down iPhone OS. As for VGA out, that will probably come from a mini displayport to VGA adapter cable, which will come separately.

Quote:

Here it is:

iNetbook rerendered

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoboer/3226244527

First picture of:

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games?

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games

We need thousands for our University.

• Reply 27 of 332
    <After four years of meticulous of developmental riddled with setbacks, Apple is now racing toward an early 2010 launch of a device that may see the electronics maker redefine the portable computing market for the second time in twice as many years.

>

A 42 word sentence that contains the phrase "for the second time in twice as many years" is pretty much common for articles on AppleInside HapplessInsider but it sure would be nice if someone with some editing skills was involved. (I tried really hard but could only come up with a rambling 40 word sentence of my own)

I won't mention leading of with "After four years of meticulous of development..." (Oops, just did)

Come on guys, we're interested in what is being said here but saying it so badly is painful to watch.
  • Reply 28 of 332
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil Maneker View Post

So the device will be used to only play Kro-Mag Rally?

yes. and you'll buy it too!
  • Reply 29 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

Integrated pico style projector is the future, no video out port.

I don't get the point of an integrated projector. While it would be okay for things like watching a movie it would absolutely be useless for presentations or sharing your screen with an audience. By utilizing the object as a projecter you lose the ability to use it as an input device and would need a second unit anyway.

It's like strapping a cup to a fork - it can pick up food or it can hold a beverage, but not both at the same time
  • Reply 30 of 332
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    What a horrible looking "rendition"
  • Reply 31 of 332
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    The Mac has been useful due to the browser applications and some local run apps like Office, iTunes, etc. It has quite a few useful applications, but nothing like what is available for the iPhone via the App Store... 50,000+ apps. If an Atom processor is used + MacOS, it may not be able to run the iPod apps. If the processor used and the OS is similar to the one on iPhone, then apps may run, but there may be limitations to tablet OS relative to the MacOS, such as multitasking, and incompatible with the MacOS. May be somebody knowledgeable here can comment on these issues.

The iPhone is good platform, but the screen is little small and multitasking would be nice. I understand that limitation of battery consumption, processor power probably kept Apple from implementing these features.

I would rather not be tied to any carrier. Rather supply my own data plan... and VoIP and a Bluetooth headset. Or just use WiFi, etc at work and at home. Don't want to get ripped by VZ in addition to paying up ATT or any other carrier for a phone+data plan.
  • Reply 32 of 332
    If, and I mean if, Apple ever releases a tablet like this... I hope they take the iPhone/iPod Touch route... and provide a wireless carrier subsidized product as well as just an 802.11x enabled device.
  • Reply 33 of 332
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    In addition to the visual finesse, I bet Jobs was pretty obsessive over feel and weight, and wants the rigidity and weight of the device to be far superior to any potential competition, such as the iPod and iPhone were. It's gotta feel dense and stiff enough to feel "high-grade", but also be lighter than the MacBook Air.

I call it a "titanium baby" effect - Apple devices have this unique quality of initially looking so precious that you think they'll shatter in a million pieces on any impact; but then prove to be surprisingly resilient and sturdy.
  • Reply 34 of 332
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil Maneker View Post

I don't get the point of an integrated projector. While it would be okay for things like watching a movie it would absolutely be useless for presentations or sharing your screen with an audience. By utilizing the object as a projecter you lose the ability to use it as an input device and would need a second unit anyway.

It's like strapping a cup to a fork - it can pick up food or it can hold a beverage, but not both at the same time

You can share a screen via a program like webex. If this is for business presentations than integrated projector is the way to go. Less stuff to carry. Laptop is becoming like a desktop in that no one wants to carry it around.
  • Reply 35 of 332
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

OHH, iwork on this tablet would be a dream, screw office, can't stand it. What if they also included one of the new mini projector's being discussed in future phone's...!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

Apple (with PA Semi) outdoing Atom seems possible, but to do it with any large difference was probably the real challenge.

What I find ironic, is that if Microsoft would/could make Office for iPhone and the new tablet, they would have a rather large market. I'm sure Apple would rather make iWork the standard, though.

If this is real, I don't think you'd want to use it for lengthy document writing. You're going to be holding it in two hands, like an iPhone, typing with your thumbs on an onscreen keyboard, like an iPhone.

Dose the size of a MacBook Pro's keyboard increase when you move up from a 13" screen to a 15" or 17" screen? No.
  • Reply 36 of 332
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

If, and I mean if, Apple ever releases a tablet like this... I hope they take the iPhone/iPod Touch route... and provide a wireless carrier subsidized product as well as just an 802.11x enabled device.

And allow tethering with the iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 332
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

The Mac has been useful due to the browser applications and some local run apps like Office, iTunes, etc. It has quite a few useful applications, but nothing like what is available for the iPhone via the App Store... 50,000+ apps. If an Atom processor is used + MacOS, it may not be able to run the iPod apps. If the processor used and the OS is similar to the one on iPhone, then apps may run, but there may be limitations to tablet OS relative to the MacOS, such as multitasking, and incompatible with the MacOS. May be somebody knowledgeable here can comment on these issues.

The iPhone is good platform, but the screen is little small and multitasking would be nice. I understand that limitation of battery consumption, processor power probably kept Apple from implementing these features.

I would rather not be tied to any carrier. Rather supply my own data plan... and VoIP and a Bluetooth headset. Or just use WiFi, etc at work and at home. Don't want to get ripped by VZ in addition to paying up ATT or any other carrier for a phone+data plan.

Every telco wants to qualify a device on their network before they officially support it. Best we could hope for is a quad band radio like in the blackberry tour that works on gsm and CDMA. But I think you have to pay royalties to qualcomm for anything CDMA.
  • Reply 38 of 332
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    If they launch this after AT&T enables iPhone tethering, they could potentially ignore the whole wireless carrier issue. Let people use it primarily as a wi-fi device or tether it to whatever phone they want. Or really blow us away and introduce wireless tethering. They have plenty of leverage on AT&T to get their buy-in.
  • Reply 39 of 332
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    I highly doubt Apple will launch a 10" multitouch device. Why?

-A 10" inch capacitive multitouch screen of 1024x600 moreless resolution in expensive.

-To last an acceptable time, it have to have a good battery so it adds weigth to the device

-Working with a tablet it's the epitome of poor ergonomy. You must to hold it with the two hands so to write (in a virtual keyboard) you have to hold with one hand (tired) and write with the other, or hold it flat and look at it vertically and write.

I have never understood why everyone is willing to have an iTablet.

Please, make a 10"-11" Macbook and then yes, this can be the answer to netbooks, but an iTablet is not the answer to netbooks.
  • Reply 40 of 332
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

I highly doubt Apple will launch a 10" multitouch device. Why?

-A 10" inch capacitive multitouch screen of 1024x600 moreless resolution in expensive.

-To last an acceptable time, it have to have a good battery so it adds weigth to the device

-Working with a tablet it's the epitome of poor ergonomy. You must to hold it with the two hands so to write (in a virtual keyboard) you have to hold with one hand (tired) and write with the other, or hold it flat and look at it vertically and write.

I have never understood why everyone is willing to have an iTablet.

Please, make a 10"-11" Macbook and then yes, this can be the answer to netbooks, but an iTablet is not the answer to netbooks.

thats what I was just going over in my mind. I'm picturing what people would look like using something like this. It just seems odd, but then again, I guess I'm just so used to the classic folding laptop style.