Apple's much-anticipated tablet device coming early next year

Comments

• Reply 101 of 332
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Has any Mac journalist followed up on what happened to those two lower level Intel execs who got smacked down by their boss? Would love to know if it impacted their career path.
  • Reply 102 of 332
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

I hope it looks somewhat like this...

That looks too much like Apple is stealing from Jeff Bezos' Kindle/Amazon?
  • Reply 103 of 332
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJeep View Post

What do you think?

Exactly the same answer that I have done
  • Reply 104 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

wife and I have 2 iphones. 3G and 3GS and like them. unlike Mac's these actually have the most powerful hardware on the market in their category. we have the internet everywhere we have a cell phone signal. and they replace a few other devices on the go.

what exactly is the point of this tablet except as a complementary device?

Agreed! I find myself thinking, "Damn, another 'must have' from Apple that I will buy!" Along, with my iPhone, iPods, MacBook, iMac, Time Capsule, AppleTV and attendant Apple Software.

Yes there is overlap, but damn they are all so beautiful!

I think whatever happens the Apple Tablet will be thin, elegant and functional. Oh, and there will be sw available in the app store!

[url]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3498/3226244527_e206fd1d02.jpg?v=0
  • Reply 105 of 332
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

- a 10 " tablet, nine times the screen size and resolution of the iPhone, resembling the iPhone from the looks an being roughly as thick

- thus immediately working with every existing iPhone app

- combining everything from the iPhone (3G, WiFI, Bluetooth, AppStore, iTunes synching) with everything from the mac (iLife and iWork will work with new preinstalled specialized versions for touch control) - OS X Snow Leopard is the key - that's why they focus on performance.

- it will be touch controlled with a large visual/virtual keyboard, but of course the existing sleek Apple wireless Keyboard will work immediately using Bluetooth

- it will have 1 or 2 (micro)USB-ports making it the ideal device for storing, presenting and basic editing of photos and videos while on holiday, for watching videos with the family (for eventually it will be possible to import our DVDs in iTunes just like our CDs ...)

- it will have a front camera and microphone for video-conferencing or for putting your face into games or for making fun photos with photo booth

- it will be THE new gaming device for groups, playing all the famous board games on a screen large enough lying in front of you and sitting on every side of it (like chess with touch control and animation)

- it will be THE new book reader (though i have some doubts concerning readability in sunlight and battery life when compared to e-ink devices like the kindle), especially making it possible to produce "books" with integrated video and sound content

- it will have a stand to work as a notebook screen when typing with the keyboard or to use as small display to watch videos or digital tv or for presentations (maybe a protective cover doubles as a stand when flipped over ..)

- it will have a bluetooth remote control, reasonably good speakers and a SD-card reader built in

- it will be gorgeous, lightweight and affordable without being cheap and crappy like the windows netbooks

- it will be priced between the iPhone/ iPod touch and the MacBook - let me guess: somewhere between $ 499 with 8 GB and without iWork and $ 799 with 32 or even 64 GB and including iWork

- it will be THE product to present your creative work on the go, to watch video and photos in a group, to work on documents with basic editing while sitting in the bus or on the plane, to check and write emails and much more

- we will be allowed to use our existing apple software on this product without an extra fee

- it will work and synchronize with iTunes on a PC, thus being the entrance to the real mac world for old time PC-customers (they simply will want to buy an OS X-system next time a new notebook or desktop will be needed)

- it can be used like the iPhone, but it can't replace it (because of size), it can be used like a MacBook but it can't replace it (because of lack of keyboard, processing speed, lack of large storing space, limited display resolution, limited connectivity)

- it is simply the perfect companion in between.

What do you think?

Blah, blah, blah...go buy a Macbook or Air because that'll never happen. See my post a few up replying to Cubert.
  • Reply 106 of 332
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed! I find myself thinking, "Damn, another 'must have' from Apple that I will buy!" Along, with my iPhone, iPods, MacBook, iMac, Time Capsule, AppleTV and attendant Apple Software.

Yes there is overlap, but damn they are all so beautiful!

I think whatever happens the Apple Tablet will be thin, elegant and functional.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3498/...fd1d02.jpg?v=0

I really like that design.
  • Reply 107 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I really like that design.

I agree that this design is elegant and MB Air-like. But where do you put your thumb when the bezel is close to nothing at all? So i'd say Apple probably has something else planned for the bezel.
  • Reply 108 of 332
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

thats what I was just going over in my mind. I'm picturing what people would look like using something like this. It just seems odd, but then again, I guess I'm just so used to the classic folding laptop style.

Because holding iPod Touch and iPhones horizontally with two hands and mimicking a steering wheel is natural looking?
  • Reply 109 of 332
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

<After four years of meticulous of developmental riddled with setbacks, Apple is now racing toward an early 2010 launch of a device that may see the electronics maker redefine the portable computing market for the second time in twice as many years.

A 42 word sentence that contains the phrase "for the second time in twice as many years" is pretty much common for articles on AppleInside HapplessInsider but it sure would be nice if someone with some editing skills was involved. (I tried really hard but could only come up with a rambling 40 word sentence of my own)

I won't mention leading of with "After four years of meticulous of development..." (Oops, just did)

Come on guys, we're interested in what is being said here but saying it so badly is painful to watch.

Maybe it is because I come from another language, but I have no problems with this sentence, it has a nice flow and some breathlessness in. And it reflects the general style of Appleinsider. There is enough good prose around that uses long sentences, yes, using short sentences will on average help most writers, but it is no hard and fast rule.
  • Reply 110 of 332
    I prefer this to the original rendition, but its lacking. I don't know I would want a giant iPhone, but if this is more capable, I'm in. What names are there that we know of? I would hope for it to- at this point- not be the iProd(ogy?). This is because I want a closer to Mac experience with a tablet, but still close to a iphone. Iwould call it- surprise surprise- the PaperMac. Its a cute name that people would probably like, and it kinda sets the mood for a "lite" Mac without a name like "MacLite". It still sounds like a grand title, and has Mac in the name, which makes you seem high class(even if its a dell mini 9)

What would you call it?

SG
  • Reply 111 of 332
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Ahh, the iTablet - a solution in search of a problem. Macbook Wheel anyone? "I never knew how much I hated having a keyboard"
  • Reply 112 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaperMacWriter View Post

I prefer this to the original rendition, but its lacking. I don't know I would want a giant iPhone, but if this is more capable, I'm in. What names are there that we know of? I would hope for it to- at this point- not be the iProd(ogy?). This is because I want a closer to Mac experience with a tablet, but still close to a iphone. Iwould call it- surprise surprise- the PaperMac. Its a cute name that people would probably like, and it kinda sets the mood for a "lite" Mac without a name like "MacLite". It still sounds like a grand title, and has Mac in the name, which makes you seem high class(even if its a dell mini 9)

What would you call it?

SG

I think they should have called it the iPad, but I think HP has already used that name for their devices in the past. How about the MacPad?
  • Reply 113 of 332
    persnoally, if they made this device more capable, i'd rather they made a mac net book. I think the whole keyboard-less design is just Steve Jobs' way of not having to deal with multiple keyboard layouts for the various countries that differ from the standard QWERTY.
  • Reply 114 of 332
    ijeepijeep Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Blah, blah, blah...go buy a Macbook or Air because that'll never happen. See my post a few up replying to Cubert.

1. "blah, blah, blah ..." does not sound like a decent argument. don't pretend to actually know more than the rest of the world. we are all just guessing here, so no room for this kind of arrogance. we will see what will happen ...

2. concerning your reply to cubert: it is not supposed to replace a laptop! it will complement the macbook with a keyboard. that's we I won't have to buy a MacBook like you suggested. I will just keep my MBP 13" and get the new MacBook Touch as well.

apple will want you to use you iPhone for fun, phone and the occasional web experience, the MacBook Pro for serious work, mostly not on the go but at a desk (at home or at the library or at work), and the new device for everything in between, like I tried to describe in my post.
  • Reply 115 of 332
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

The question is: Would the chipset run Snow Leopard, iPhone OS, ...both?

Yes yes, these are both OSX-based, so what's a third OSX-based OS? But a lot of SL's enhancements (zoom slider bars, etc) look like features specifically aimed at a user with an iPhone-like touch device. ...So maybe SL will be able to run on this new device?

That is the key question, any computing device either needs a strong single purpose or it needs a wide variety of third-party applications. The iPod, the cellphone, the Kindle are examples of devices with a strong single purpose. The personal computer, or more precisely the different OS platforms are of the second kind. The iPhone has a strong single purpose (or rather several, phone, iPod, mobile e-mail and internet) and is also tapping into the large third-party support pool.

Thus, the question is: will the Apple tablet have a strong single purpose (eBook reader, mobile browsing?) or will it thrive on third-party applications? I highly doubt that Apple can outdo Amazon in the eBook reader field. Therefore, how will Apple attract third-party developers to develop for it. Yes, morphing an iPhone application into a tablet application might be relatively simple, but will the resulting apps be compelling?

Can this tablet thrive (ie, garner enough third-party applications) without running OS X apps? And will running OS X apps be a pleasant experience on a tablet?

I am not saying it cannot be done, but Apple has to produce a really compelling product to make this work (which I think they are aware of and which contributed to the long delay).
  • Reply 116 of 332
    Quote:

1. "blah, blah, blah ..." does not sound like a decent argument. don't pretend to actually know more than the rest of the world. we are all just guessing here, so no room for this kind of arrogance. we will see what will happen ...

2. concerning your reply to cubert: it is not supposed to replace a laptop! it will complement the macbook with a keyboard. that's we I won't have to buy a MacBook like you suggested. I will just keep my MBP 13" and get the new MacBook Touch as well.

apple will want you to use you iPhone for fun, phone and the occasional web experience, the MacBook Pro for serious work, mostly not on the go but at a desk (at home or at the library or at work), and the new device for everything in between, like I tried to describe in my post.

I would suggest reading the post directly below your's if you want a reason. Plus. I think if you read through all the previous posts, you see many reasons why i believe that my response is valid.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant or ill-spirited, so I (like very few on AI forums) will apologize. Just stating my opinion.
  • Reply 117 of 332
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    if no LTE chipset, then no iTablet/iTouch/AirTouch for me.

Otherwise, what?! Struggling on a crippled HSPA(+) network?! NO thanks, and wifi is just not good enough for a nice QoE.
  • Reply 118 of 332
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Never underestimate the importance of fitting into the average purse. Women are 52% of the population in most countries and major buyers of Apple stuff.

And that's why, unlike what some are saying, it won't be called an iPad.
  • Reply 119 of 332
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vypergts View Post

You all are missing the obvious. If this pans out it'll be a Kindle killer.

Why do so many people think this? The Kindle is $299 and has lifetime free network access. Do they think Apple will match those?
  • Reply 120 of 332
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

... I highly doubt that Apple can outdo Amazon in the eBook reader field. Therefore, ...

This sounds like crazy talk to me.

*Anyone* could easily "outdo" the Kindle on a hardware basis, and the Amazon "ebook" store could be completely destroyed by a device that can easily read PDF's and not be stuck with purchasing proprietary format junk from entrenched publishers. Apple's app store is also easily the equal of amazon's eBook store if it simply starts selling ebooks. If you add into the mix, the fact that an Apple tablet has tools to *author* books built in, then it has an even greater advantage.

Bezos is no fool. The kindle is a pre-emptive strike in an attempt to gain some kind of market share before Apple's tablet muscles into the market. Amazon has a bit of a head start, but there is nothing to say that Apple can't do what it did in the other media markets and take over the whole thing if they do it right. This would leave Amazon to do what it does best, which is to sell paper books to an older, fading generation.