Apple's much-anticipated tablet device coming early next year

Comments

• Reply 141 of 332
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

No, thats incorrect. Tethering, when it arrives for real will carry an extra charge. The reason they charge more is because the amount of data consumed by a computer running several apps at once can consume alot more data than the phone typically would.

Ok, i missunderstood. But...I've seen people using a cell phone for access on a laptop. So why would it be any different than that? Or is that an early form of tethering before PC Cellular cards existed?

I just don't see why this idea wouldn't work. But, i guess i underestimate the capabilities of ATT.
  • Reply 142 of 332
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Ok, i missunderstood. But...I've seen people using a cell phone for access on a laptop. So why would it be any different than that? Or is that an early form of tethering before PC Cellular cards existed?

I just don't see why this idea wouldn't work. But, i guess i underestimate the capabilities of ATT.

The contract you have with ATT (or any carrier) relates to only that particular handset.
  • Reply 143 of 332
    It's talk like this that makes me very ill.

The thought that all that you guys state could actually happen really infuriates me. I really hope they got the iPhone iPod Touch route. The idea that a cell carrier could charge you to transfer data through a cable from a device that you already pay for access to another device just makes me angry! It like double dipping! horse-doodle!!!!

you know that iPhone users already have the highest priced cellular service out of all the smartphones on the market...let's just punish you even more!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Nope. I don't see that happening. The device will have it's own data plan built into the price of the device renewable every year. You'll have to buy chunks of pre-paid time....probably from Verizon. Watch, it's gonna happen.

There might also be a similar deal for AT&T for tethering.....maybe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macerroneous View Post

That's right, AI forced me to register since I can't resist tablet speculation. Since I consider it a given that Steve wants us to have an iPhone, Macbook Pro, AND a tablet, I think the tablet will be geared specifically to tether with iPhone. In fact, maybe the tethering delay on ATT's part is to wait for this new toy.

Specifically: "sign a 2 year iPhone tethering plan for $30 a month and get $300 off your tablet"

• Reply 144 of 332
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

It's talk like this that makes me very ill.

The thought that all that you guys state could actually happen really infuriates me. I really hope they got the iPhone iPod Touch route. The idea that a cell carrier could charge you to transfer data through a cable from a device that you already pay for access to another device just makes me angry! It like double dipping! horse-doodle!!!!

you know that iPhone users already have the highest priced cellular service out of all the smartphones on the market...let's just punish you even more!

But what if you don't have an iphone but still want the tablet with data service. I believe the price is going to include a data plan (non contract). And not with AT&T.

I guess we're going to soon find out.
  • Reply 145 of 332
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vypergts View Post

You all are missing the obvious. If this pans out it'll be a Kindle killer.

It'll also be about 2 to 3 years too early. The Kindle-led e-book market (face it, Sony never made a dent) still needs it's color display. Color displays in the e-ink vein won't be affordable for a few more years hence.
  • Reply 146 of 332
    Quote:

But what if you don't have an iphone but still want the tablet with data service. I believe the price is going to include a data plan (non contract). And not with AT&T.

Well, if you don't have an iPhone then offer a 3G USB wireless card like they do with notebook computers. Sounds like a simple solution to me...
  • Reply 147 of 332
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It might have been easier to use my mockup. Sorry, I had to post it. When I made it, it was to the 10.1" screen size, and proportional the iPhone beside it.

• Reply 148 of 332
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Well, if you don't have an iPhone then offer a 3G USB wireless card like they do with notebook computers. Sounds like a simple solution to me...

That is far from an elegant solution. Apple isn't going to promote a product that requires a dongle to get internet if you don't have an iPhone. It makes sense to offer this with 3G service so the cost can be subsidized. People like low up front costs. If you have an iPhone, you should be able to purchase it unsubsidized, and tether it.

I agree with you that the concept of paying for tethering sucks. I hope AT&T doesn't offer a subsidized tethering plan for this device if it comes out. If that happens, Rogers will follow suite, and tethering is free right now... Maybe Apple the tablet will be Verizon only and thus keep AT&T's greedy mits off of it. Then perhaps my tethering service will remain free
  • Reply 149 of 332
    Quote:

There are only two kinds of people I'm this country: those who hate ATT and those who hate Verizon. (Not counting those who hate both.)

Steve wants to sell three devices to each of these groups, so he puts a Verizon card in the new tablet. That way, the ATT haters can can make skype calls form their iPod Touch tethered through wifi to their tablet, which in turn is connected to Verizon data. Meanwhile, Verizon haters will access the Internet on their tablet via a tether through their iPhone on ATT. Blanket the entire country. Deposit subsidy checks from both carriers.

Of course, we'll still need our Macs for "real work"
  • Reply 150 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

That is far from an elegant solution. Apple isn't going to promote a product that requires a dongle to get internet if you don't have an iPhone. It makes sense to offer this with 3G service so the cost can be subsidized. People like low up front costs. If you have an iPhone, you should be able to purchase it unsubsidized, and tether it.

I agree with you that the concept of paying for tethering sucks. I hope AT&T doesn't offer a subsidized tethering plan for this device if it comes out. If that happens, Rogers will follow suite, and tethering is free right now... Maybe Apple the tablet will be Verizon only and thus keep AT&T's greedy mits off of it. Then perhaps my tethering service will remain free

I hope you're right. I never said my solution was elegant but it works for the MacBooks so why not this? I still think offering a WiFi only version with a 3G card would be the most consumer friendly version, that way the consumer would be able to choose whichever service works for them. That would also broaden the consumer base that would actually purchase this device. Seemed to work for the iPod Touch and the iPhone.
  • Reply 151 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This sounds like crazy talk to me.

*Anyone* could easily "outdo" the Kindle on a hardware basis, and the Amazon "ebook" store could be completely destroyed by a device that can easily read PDF's and not be stuck with purchasing proprietary format junk from entrenched publishers. Apple's app store is also easily the equal of amazon's eBook store if it simply starts selling ebooks. If you add into the mix, the fact that an Apple tablet has tools to *author* books built in, then it has an even greater advantage.

Bezos is no fool. The kindle is a pre-emptive strike in an attempt to gain some kind of market share before Apple's tablet muscles into the market. Amazon has a bit of a head start, but there is nothing to say that Apple can't do what it did in the other media markets and take over the whole thing if they do it right. This would leave Amazon to do what it does best, which is to sell paper books to an older, fading generation.

Agreed. Apple has been late to the game in other areas and then soundly "schooled" the existing participants! I don't think the Amazon/Kindle is the main focus of Apple with the Tablet. But Amazon/Kindle will feel it's impact (like RIM, Nokia, Motorola with iPhone) and the Kindle may go the way of the Zune!
  • Reply 152 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed. Apple has been late to the game in other areas and then soundly "schooled" the existing participants! I don't think the Amazon/Kindle is the main focus of Apple with the Tablet. But Amazon/Kindle will feel it's impact (like RIM, Nokia, Motorola with iPhone) and the Kindle may go the way of the Zune!

One earlier post-er mentioned that Amazon isn't the only leading merch. with ebooks either. plus the DESPERATE NEED for a standardized ebook format. But i can easily see a ebook section of the iTunes Ap Store. I agree that this new device should be more like a Kindle killer instead of a netbook killer, which it clearly won't be for all the reasons already posted on this forum.

If you track the history of Apple's "ground breaking" products, you'll notice that they've always been late to the game. When it comes down to it, they just learn from everyone else and then create a product that is similar, but so earth-shatteringly better that you can't help but want one. Look at the MP3 player vs. iPod, the smartphone vs. iPhone, Windows Media Center vs. iTunes...they all were around in some form way before Apple made it so much better. That's not a bad thing, just learning from everyone else. Conservative but smart.
  • Reply 153 of 332
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Display:

Size: 9.7" multi-touch screen

Resolution: 1366 x768

Processor:

Self-developed ARM processor in cooperation with PA Semi ip.

1,5 Ghz

1024 KB L2 Cache

128 L Cache

128 D Cache

RAM:

1024 MB

133 Mhz

Connectivity:

3G HSPDA 7.2 mbps

AirPort Extreme (802.11a/b/g/n)

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR

USB 2.0

30 Pin connector

Storage:

64 GB or 128 GB

Battery:

Integrated Battery. Non removable.

30-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery

Extra:

GPS

Compass

Motion sensor

Light sensor

No camera and no proximity sensor

Price:

$699 and $799
  • Reply 154 of 332
    Quote:

One earlier post-er mentioned that Amazon isn't the only leading merch. with ebooks either. plus the DESPERATE NEED for a standardized ebook format. But i can easily see a ebook section of the iTunes Ap Store. I agree that this new device should be more like a Kindle killer instead of a netbook killer, which it clearly won't be for all the reasons already posted on this forum.

Good Points... I can't see the large publishing houses ignoring Apple's push into the eBook Market that the Tablet/iTunes will provide. Surely the large publishing houses will have learned from the experiences of the inept/incompetent music and movie industries. They better get on board and quick! Then again, maybe they won't!
  • Reply 155 of 332
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Display:

Price:

$699 and $799

Joke?
  • Reply 156 of 332
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good Points... I can't see the large publishing houses ignoring Apple's push into the eBook Market that the Tablet/iTunes will provide. Surely the large publishing houses will have learned from the experiences of the inept/incompetent music and movie industries. They better get on board and quick! Then again, maybe they won't!

A TFT/LED screen to kill eink readers? I expect that this doesn't take place.
  • Reply 157 of 332
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

I hope you're right. I never said my solution was elegant but it works for the MacBooks so why not this? I still think offering a WiFi only version with a 3G card would be the most consumer friendly version, that way the consumer would be able to choose whichever service works for them. That would also broaden the consumer base that would actually purchase this device. Seemed to work for the iPod Touch and the iPhone.

I see this device being marketed a lot different from the macbooks. Apple has stated that they can't make anything good for under $500, yet it appears this device is supposed to compete against netbooks. If that is the case, Apple needs the subsidy that a 3G plan could provide to get the price down into the high end of the netbook range.

You are probably right about there basically being a WiFi only version and WiFi + 3G version (if the device actually appears). I'm honestly not sure what you mean by 3G card. Do you mean something like an express card/usb dongle (which I don't see happening), or an internal chip (like how the iPod Touch lacks a 3G radio)?

Personally I would like to see one model with the 3G chip disabled if you purchase it without a data plan as opposed to two separate models like the iPhone and iPod Touch. Assuming of course that it wouldn't increase the cost too much. That way you don't need to buy a new device if your situation changes. I don't think this device would gain the same benefits as the touch did from shedding the 3G radio (mostly thinking of how much thinner and lighter the touch is) due to the overall size of the device.
  • Reply 158 of 332
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Price = $999
  • Reply 159 of 332
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Joke?

Nope, AT&T partially subsidized.
  • Reply 160 of 332
    From all the rumors I've read, it does seem that this iTablet will be a media device like the iPod Touch. I can't wait. This will only draw more excitement about Multi-Touch control.

I personally hope that Apple will make a Mac-Like Multi-Touch device. Maybe something with this interface design:

http://macslate.blogspot.com/

Of Course I might be a little biased since I made these concept designs

Picture from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenewtouch/