Palm fires back at Apple, fixes Pre sync with iTunes

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 166
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    I find it slightly ironic that some are complaining about Palm using a USB ID hack to trick iTunes into thinking a Pre is an iPod, but forgot Apple has used their Windows update SW to piggyback Safari and Mobile Me downloads onto Windows machines. It's bad if Microsoft abused their monopoly to support their SW, but somehow good for Apple to support their little ecosystem by locking out others?

Honestly, I don't see what the issue is, isn't all music on iTunes DRM-free now? So if Apple doesn't let some sync their Pre with iTunes, perhaps they are losing out on a few songs sales...it's a hack, but I don't know what the big deal is, unless Apple is just paranoid about any possible hint of competition.
  • Reply 162 of 166
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I find it slightly ironic that some are complaining about Palm using a USB ID hack to trick iTunes into thinking a Pre is an iPod, but forgot Apple has used their Windows update SW to piggyback Safari and Mobile Me downloads onto Windows machines.

Get a clue. Apple doesn't use Microsoft Windows Update to deploy their software, they wrote their own update.

Which is exactly what RIM/Blackberry did to leverage people's iTunes music, and is exactly what Palm should do (and could easily do if they weren't so interested in being juvenile at the expense of their customers).
  • Reply 163 of 166
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    itunes was always only meant to work with Apple devices. that is the purpose of it. I have no problem with that so long as their are alternatives if I want to use something else. Blackberry makes their own Desktop Management software. Palm did too. Palm simply needs to up their game and design their own Media Manager.

i can imagine the syncing mess that can happen if you have and iPhone / iPod AND a Pre.

I used to support Microsoft Activesync. Nightmare.
  • Reply 164 of 166
    doughboydoughboy Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

itunes was always only meant to work with Apple devices. that is the purpose of it.

During the time before Mac OS X, didn't Apple provide plugins that allowed third-party MP3 devices to work with iTunes?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2172
  • Reply 165 of 166
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post

During the time before Mac OS X, didn't Apple provide plugins that allowed third-party MP3 devices to work with iTunes?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2172

We are not talking about third-party players being able to play files download from iTunes. We are talking about syncing with.

How would iTunes sync with a device that Apple does not manage unless the third-party player used Apples' IP? And why would Apple give a third-party player that feature for free?

Yes, you can play files downloaded via iTunes (sometimes you have to covert the file to a file format that the third=party players support), but iTunes has never supported syncing with third-party players.
  • Reply 166 of 166
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Competing products benefit each other greatly. Companies in monopoly positions get lazy and don't innovate. They don't get any inspiration from the competition, because there is none.

Wake up and stop being a completely blind Apple fanboy.

On June 6, in AU47*, Palm released its hotly anticipated Pre, igniting discussion boards around the internet with opinions about this latest iPhone killer. Along with the Pre, Palm also announced Palm Prefect, a new media organization application with a surprisingly robust feature set, and friendly UI.

"Palm Prefect probes your PC and procures access to your precious media, promptly and precisely. It's the perfect application to manage everything on your Pre," said a company spokesman.

In related news, Apple Inc. announced an update for all iPods and iPhones to allow their devices to connect to Palm's new software. "This media sync update is a feature of our OSs to synchronizes seamlessly with Prefect, giving you a simple and easy way to transfer DRM-free music, photos and videos to your iPod or iPhone," said Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

"In addition, we're ceasing development of iTunes. This undoubtedly improves compatability and choice for our loyal customers. The iTunes store will continue as a stand-alone application, but mainly to feed purchased media to Prefect."

Jobs also commented, "oh, and we also reported Palm to the USB consortium, because initially, our devices weren't connecting to Prefect. Something about device and vendor Ids locking us out."

*Alternate Universe 47