Book sales mark shift toward Mac, iPhone development

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Retail book sales indicate the market for computer books has experienced a steady decline since the middle of 2008, with subjects related to Mac and iPhone development showing solid growth amid an otherwise morose outlook.

A report on the computer book market, published by O'Reilly's Mike Hendrickson and based on Nielsen Bookscan retail sales data, reflects the overall status of the computer industry itself and the economy in general. Hendrickson described the report as "lots of bad news peppered with small glimmers of hope."

Growth in Mac programming book sales

Within the top 121 categories of computer books, the report cited only 8 subject areas that could claim a year over year increase in sales during the first six months of 2009.

Within that short list of recession-defying growth was Mac programming, Objective C, online video, mobile programming, and open source topics, providing additional evidence of the significant shift in interest toward iPhone development. While none of those growth categories could claim a place within the top twenty in terms of units sold, the historically popular subjects all experienced major declines.

The data showed that books related to 'Windows consumer' experienced the greatest decline year over year. Sales of books on the Mac OS also fell significantly, although the market for Mac-releated books is and continues to be significantly greater than half as large as the market for Windows books, a sharp discrepancy from published market share figures of actual PC sales, where Macs account for less than ten percent of US sales.

Objective C takes off

At the same time, interest in Objective C, the language used to develop both iPhone apps and Mac programs, has grown dramatically from a "a small (low unit sales) language into a large (high units sales) language," Hendrickson wrote.

Apple's unique use of the Objective C language has tended to isolate Mac development in contrast with more mainstream computer languages such as Java or C++/C#, despite Objective C being a superset of C that many programmers claim is relatively easy to learn. Mac applications can also be written using more common languages such as Java or plain C, although some knowledge of Objective C is needed to make full use of the Mac's Cocoa frameworks.

On the iPhone however, Apple has made Objective C the required development language, and has taken steps to prevent third parties from installing alternative runtimes. This complicates efforts to simply port over existing Java apps, for example, requiring developers to get familiar with Apple's own Xcode environment and the standard but often less familiar Objective C language.

Without an installed base of millions of eager software buyers using the iPhone and iPod touch, Apple's Objective C iPhone development strategy would likely have dampened developer interest outside of core Mac developers already familiar with the language, the same way Apple's very novel development environment for the 1994 Newton Message Pad, which was not even familiar to Mac developers, appeared to stifle interest in writing apps for it, which in turn did nothing to induce additional device sales.

In contrast, the blockbuster sales of iPhone mobile apps through iTunes, protected from rampant piracy by DRM and accelerated by Apple's efforts to actively push software sales at low "impulse buy" prices, have resulted in launching book sales of Objective C in the first half of 2009 past sales of C/C++ and JavaScript, and nearly as high as the three leading languages in front of it in terms of book sales: C#, Java, and PHP.

Objective C is becoming a hot programming language. | Image credit: O'Reilly.

In creating a new generation of Objective C programmers with the iPhone, Apple is also widening the audience of developers qualified to write native Mac applications, which use identical development tools and very similar frameworks to those used to build iPhone apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    iphone1982iphone1982 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Retail book sales indicate the market for computer books has experienced a steady decline since the middle of 2008, with subjects related to Mac and iPhone development showing solid growth amid an otherwise morose outlook.

... | Image credit: O'Reilly.

In creating a new generation of Objective C programmers with the iPhone, Apple is also widening the audience of developers qualified to write native Mac applications, which use identical development tools and very similar frameworks to those used to build iPhone apps.

You left out the most important part of the O'Reilly article that makes this article irrelevant

Quote:

A little disclaimer material: This information comes from Nielsen Bookscan and is the US Retail Point-of-Sale data. In other words, a "sold unit" is recognized when you walk into a bookstore like Barnes & Noble or Borders or order online at Amazon. This is NOT data that is used to calculate royalties or report on the financial health of any particular publisher. Many publishers report that more than 50% of their revenue is achieved as direct sales, and those numbers do not get reported into Bookscan. Sales at traditional college bookstores are typically not reported into Bookscan as well. Again this is US Retail Sales data recorded at the point of sale to a consumer.

I'd call 50% scew of numbers more than "A Little Disclaimer Material"
  • Reply 2 of 77
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Will this website's editors ever stop slinging mud at Microsoft?
  • Reply 3 of 77
    princeprince Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

.You left out the most important part of the O'Reilly article that makes this article irrelevant"

The numbers presented are in comparison with the same numbers for the same market a year ago, not in contrast with unknown figures for the entire market of books sold. So yes, the large shift indicated in that change is very relevant.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    princeprince Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

By "slinging mud" do you mean reporting relevant facts that are unflattering to Microsoft?

Are you from the Ministry of Truth? Should we bend facts and lie to make it sound like Microsoft is doing better than it is? Would that comfort you, or simply misinform readers?
  • Reply 5 of 77
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

I give up - where is the mudslinging at Microsoft? Did I miss something? (Would not be the first time.)

I guess there is a ref to C#.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

. ... You left out the most important part of the O'Reilly article that makes this article irrelevant ... I'd call 50% scew of numbers more than "A Little Disclaimer Material"

This is a ridiculous argument.

The "missing" numbers you talk about would either contain the same data, or they would be skewed by what is being *taught* at major Universities (American Colleges), as opposed to what is popular, which is what the article attempts to describe. The University I work at teaches a lot of computer language and programming stuff that has nothing to do with today's market as I'm sure most do. The issue is what is selling and what is popular now, to people in the real world.

Nothing about your "disclaimer" means anything in the context of the article. Maybe that's why it was excluded?
  • Reply 7 of 77
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That is true but in practice I believe those developers prefer to develop for a stable mobile platform. What I mean by stable is that all the iPhone and iPod Touch devices have similar base hardware whereas the Mac lines do not. Varying graphic cards, displays and major versions of OSX require extra development to keep-up with. The iPhone OS is simpler to develop for and support.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That is true but in practice I believe those developers prefer to develop for a stable mobile platform. What I mean by stable is that all the iPhone and iPod Touch devices have similar base hardware whereas the Mac lines do not. Varying graphic cards, displays and major versions of OSX require extra development to keep-up with. The iPhone OS is simpler to develop for and support.

Unless you are talking about games development, most of that stuff hardly matters. Someone who knows how to program for the iPhone is now ready to easily transition to developing for Mac OS X computers. It's a major boon for Cocoa and Objective-C and ultimately Apple's OS platforms now and future. The rumored tablet, for instance, seems like it will be using another different flavor of Mac OS again, but you can bet that programs will be developed the same way.

Just sayin'.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    Actually, the line that makes this article difficult to swallow is the assumption that just because you know how to program in Objective C....that you can be an iPhone dev or by extension, a Mac dev.

There are a lot of crap UIs out there on a lot of crap iPhone apps, and I'd be dollars to doughnuts that most of those come from people who never developed on a Mac before.

You have to acquire more than programming skills to be a good iPhone developer or Mac developer: you have to acquire the culture and the understanding of the expectations of the Mac user.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

You left out the most important part of the O'Reilly article that makes this article irrelevant

Heh. Funny to see you guys squirm.

PS: By "you guys", I mean, you that feels so very threaten (or jealous) by Apple's success.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

The numbers presented are in comparison with the same numbers for the same market a year ago, not in contrast with unknown figures for the entire market of books sold. So yes, the large shift indicated in that change is very relevant.

So what you are saying is, you are only interesting in the numbers that help you make a point, not the 50% of numbers which may prove your arguement wrong?
  • Reply 12 of 77
    It is too bad iPhone development book authors did not maximize the pre-release time for revamping existing books for iPhone OS 3.0. I have a couple books at home, and made it through about half way of each book, but now it is difficult to work through some of the exercises because of the changes. Not trying to be an expert developer, but was having fun playing with the phone at the programming end. Now it is just frustrating.
  • Reply 13 of 77
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

You are missing the point. The iPhone is creating (bringing in) new developers to the platform (OS X). People who never used OS X, will now see what it can do compared to Windows. Interest to then develop for the Mac will follow.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

It is too bad iPhone development book authors did not maximize the pre-release time for revamping existing books for iPhone OS 3.0. I have a couple books at home, and made it through about half way of each book, but now it is difficult to work through some of the exercises because of the changes. Not trying to be an expert developer, but was having fun playing with the phone at the programming end. Now it is just frustrating.

True, but that's the nature of a fast-moving beast. Try: http://apress.com/book/view/1430224592

Well written and released a few weeks ago.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I'd call 50% scew of numbers more than "A Little Disclaimer Material"

Can you show that the other 50% is markedly different from the published figures?

If not, then the safest take is that it's about the same.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    Quote:

Can you show what "mud" was slung? Other than published numbers, I don't see anything wrong.

If a PC centric site said that Windows book sales were almost twice as large as that for the Mac, and it showed a strong preference for Windows amongst buyers, would you have accused them of slinging mud at Apple?
  • Reply 17 of 77
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:

Not speaking to the validity of your accusation, but come on. Microsoft fans danced on Apple's grave mercilessly during the years Apple was down. They made a fine art of it. It was not fun for us. Can't you let us have just a little satisfaction now that we are rolling in cash and popularity while MS is looking like the "sick man" of the computer industry?
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Quote:

It's not that difficult. A long time ago when the Mac only had 512 x 340, and higher rez screens came about with the introduction of the Mac II, there was a problem, because developers had written for the one rez. Their programs showed up as a window in a blank screen surrounding it.

But once the methods and API's for variable rez screens came out, it made life much easier.

In addition, Apple has always had a central "clearing post" for graphics and video, unlike MS, where every program had to have separate drivers for every video card available.

We now have major versions for the iPhone as well, and are beginning to have major versions of the hardware as well.

That's to be expected, and guess what? Developers will manage just fine.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So what you are saying is, you are only interesting in the numbers that help you make a point, not the 50% of numbers which may prove your arguement wrong?

Or which may make the argument even stronger. You don't know.

Besides, he's right. It's a measurement from year to year of the same data points.

So you're saying, without any evidence, that these stats mean nothing because they're in Apple's favor and you don't like that?
  • Reply 20 of 77
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

By this logic, no one should want to develop for Windows at all since Windows runs on almost any kind of hardware.

Also,I don't think you really understand how the X-Code development tools work. I'm not even a developer and even I know that different graphics cards are not an issue unless you are doing games development and want access to the bleeding edge capabilities of said cards. The system handles the graphics coding for you in most situations.