Scanner for OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm looking to buy a scanner for my imac (g4 700 15")and running OSX ... I don't want to use classic because it causes problems for my printer drivers and since my wife uses the computer frequently, she can't deal with it. I need a scanner that will run on OS X . . . I was looking at the epson perfection 1250 and the canon LiDE 30. I have Photoshop 7 as mentioned in the requirements for the canon but have read negative comments about using it under OSX. Will the epson run natively on OSX?? Which do you recommend or do you have another recommendation?

(under $100)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Epson all the way

Download the driver from their site and you are set
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jaskejaske Posts: 73member
    I just bought the Canon LiDE 30 and it works fine under X. I love the fact that it has only one cord for power and data, and its small foot print is a great selling point. That being said, its "ToolBox" is a piece of garbage, with the ugliest GUI I have seen in a while. Also, It scans with Photoshop very well.

The only problem is with it's crappy installers which creates a headache (but here's the cure):

1) Install the toolbox, then the driver. Then go to /Library/CFMSupport and delete N670U_ButtonManager (keeping N124U_ButtonManager for the LIDE 30, or do the opposite if you purchased the LiDE 20).

2) Check System Preferences / Login Items. Remove the any items referring to the deleted ButtonManager from the list as required and log out and back in again.

One last thing, if you want to use VueScan with the scanner you have to remove both ButtonManagers from System Preferences / Login Items. This means that the buttons on the front will be useless, but I'm not certain they actually have any merit.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by jaske:

<strong>I just bought the Canon LiDE 30 and it works fine under X. I love the fact that it has only one cord for power and data, and its small foot print is a great selling point. That being said, its "ToolBox" is a piece of garbage, with the ugliest GUI I have seen in a while. Also, It scans with Photoshop very well.

The only problem is with it's crappy installers which creates a headache (but here's the cure):

1) Install the toolbox, then the driver. Then go to /Library/CFMSupport and delete N670U_ButtonManager (keeping N124U_ButtonManager for the LIDE 30, or do the opposite if you purchased the LiDE 20).

2) Check System Preferences / Login Items. Remove the any items referring to the deleted ButtonManager from the list as required and log out and back in again.

One last thing, if you want to use VueScan with the scanner you have to remove both ButtonManagers from System Preferences / Login Items. This means that the buttons on the front will be useless, but I'm not certain they actually have any merit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I also have the Canon LiDE 30 and after a little not knowing what I was doing I have it all working great and I LOVE IT!!

I used to have an old UMAX on my PC and it died.

The Canon is wonderful! I first had a Canon s630 inkjet printer that I bought about 1 year ago and it has been the best inkjet printer I have owned out of the three I have had.

Epson was Junk

HP was ok but not Photo Quality

Canon is great!

Best of luck to you.

Fellowship
  • Reply 4 of 6
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    I have the Epson 1250 and it has been a dream working with it in OS X. I use the TWAIN drivers and Image Capture for all of my scans. I have not tried scanning from Photoshop, but apparently it does work.

I have no hesitations in recommending this scanner, it's worked flawlessly for me so far, under both 10.1.5 and 10.2.x.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    make that 3 votes for canon LiDE30. best prices at amazon and buy.com. it's cheap and it does the job. however, if you need to do a lot of pro quality scans, then probably go wth epson. i have a great scsi epson scanner, but i dont have scsi ports now. the canon doesnt compare, but it works in os x... so that was a selling point. doesnt come with photoshop LE, in case you wondered, but the next model up does.

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I too recently bought a scanner and opted for the Canon LiDE 30.

Pro:

Small footprint

One cable (power and data over USB)

Titanium color matches Apple hardware nicely

Thin & light -- easy to take elsewhere

Con:

Crappy installer software. Very confusing to install the driver.

Mediocre software interface.

Slow. My UMAX SCSI scanner from 5 years ago was much faster.