AVG antivirus update attacks Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    AVG was right! Anything made by Apple should be flagged and blocked. Nonething but bloatware for people not tech savy enough to use a pc.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Want proof? Open Word for Mac and then open Pages. Pages seems to be running on a supercomputer compared to the slowness of Word for Mac. Everything executes several-fold faster.

Hmmm... One of my complaints about iWorks is that it is sooooo sloooow. I have had every version and I find both Pages and Numbers very slow to open and slow at processing input.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crankenstein View Post

AVG was right! Anything made by Apple should be flagged and blocked. Nonething but bloatware for people not tech savy enough to use a pc.

So you are saying that ~80% of computer users worldwide (Windows users) are tech savy?

And why should users be "tech savy" to use a computer? Oh. that''s right. It's because they HAVE to be tech savy to get the computer to work.

The means justifies the end?
  • Reply 24 of 65
    One of my primary ways to back up my MacBook's iTunes library is to copy everything over to my old-er PC. I run AVG on my PC box, WinXP SP3. I happened to open iTunes on my PC the day I heard about this problem (last week) just to see what happened, and all was good. So apparently this didn't happen to everybody.

For me, I tried Avast!, and didn't care for it at all. Several error messages, application hangs, etc. So I went back to AVG. I don't really see any HDD slowdowns or update problems.

Whatevs. I use that PC for rare PC gaming, and iTunes music backups (besides Time Machine on my MacBook)...AVG works fine for me, and didn't have this issue thankfully.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

So you are saying that ~80% of computer users worldwide (Windows users) are tech savy?

And why should users be "tech savy" to use a computer? Oh. that''s right. It's because they HAVE to be tech savy to get the computer to work.

Please don't feed the troll. He's been here only a couple of days and has made 20 trolling posts in several different threads. Ignore him and he'll go away.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

All those Windows guys who say "I'm responsible and never get viruses on my PC" will really love this. You don't even need a virus when anti-virus will remove your music library for you.

Removing iTunes doesn't remove your library. It only removes iTunes. And really, you have to do something stupid to get a virus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Savvy? Savvy: "well-informed and perceptive" You don't have to be a computer genius to use a computer.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oseame View Post

AVG is the standard app recommended by our external IT Support folks.

I DREAD to think what would happen if AVG ever mistook our accounts database for a virus....

Any preferable anti-virus alternatives for those of us supporting Windows machines that contrary to their nature are expected to stay running and stable?

Definitely Avast!. I've been using it for years for me (before I got Mac) and for all my friends on their WirusXP/Vista/7 machines and I can say it's a great program. NOD32 is excellent as well, but free app lasts only 30 days, then it has to be reinstalled - not worth.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    AVG makes some pretty poor software, in my opinion. I spent years as a computer technician/supervisor and problems like this with AVG happened too frequently. It also failed, all too often, to protect a machine against new threats. I guess you get what you pay for. I haven't seen much better performance from the full version.

I personally prefer Nod32 for Windows. Not very intrusive--especially compared to the alternatives--and among the best in dealing with ground zero threats.

As for Mac, I just love not having to deal with these things. There's always someone chiming in about how there are also numerous Mac vulnerabilities, but what they're really observing is how many vulnerabilities are patched on both systems. The statistic that really matters, here, is how many vulnerabilities are actually taken advantage of. Even if the Mac had twenty times more vulnerabilities patched each month than Windows (obviously this is a hypothetical situation), Mac users would *still* be much safer, because odds are not a one of them would be taken advantage of to target the actual user. Life as usual. On Windows, pretty much every single one of them that offered an attractive attack vector would be translated into real-world viruses or spyware.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Hehe, I doubt he even cares anymore. He stopped caring right after Vista.

Are you kidding!? He has over $50 billion in wealth - and all his future good works - tied up in it. You bet he cares like hell (and is scared as hell too, with what's unfolding with his company).
  • Reply 30 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

The antivirus hit is just part of the story. Wanna see the other reason why PC's are so slow has to do with software architecture. Why is it that any software written for PC are so slow and cumbersome? It has to do with the modus operandi of software engineers who are used to working with PC's versus Macs. Want proof? Open Word for Mac and then open Pages. Pages seems to be running on a supercomputer compared to the slowness of Word for Mac. Everything executes several-fold faster. Try to really push it and Word for Mac crashes.

Everything written for the PC follows the same low quality, unreliable and stupid software design. It is not one thing, it is the total package.

I agree about MS Office for Mac. It feels as though they did the minimum necessary to get everything running on OS X and brought a lot of baggage along with them.

However, I disagree about all Windows software being slow and cumbersome. That's a bit over the top. The world, for the most part, still get stuff done with Windows, and there are several areas where Windows is the best OS (such as multitasking performance) over all but the mainframe OS.

Let's stick to fair and true assessments. OS X is still far ahead, but you don't need to distort reality.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

"Trojan virus" is an oxymoron. Trojans and viruses are two entirely different forms of malware.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's an oxymoron. If I say "banana apple" is that an oxymoron? A term is an oxymoron only when the terms that make up that term are contradictory or have opposite meaning
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Not to put too fine a point on it, but "Java Vulnerability" does not equal "OS X" vulnerability.

Java on OS X is implemented by Apple (not Sun), and is built into the OS.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazinghero View Post

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's an oxymoron. If I say "banana apple" is that an oxymoron? A term is an oxymoron only when the terms that make up that term are contradictory or have opposite meaning

"Taped live" is an oxymoron.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazinghero View Post

I guess oxymoron isn't strictly accurate. Nonsense may be better. But whilst "Trojan" and "virus" aren't opposites, they do contradict one another in the sense that it is not possible to be both a Trojan and a virus at the same time.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadisonTate View Post

However, I disagree about all Windows software being slow and cumbersome. That's a bit over the top. The world, for the most part, still get stuff done with Windows, and there are several areas where Windows is the best OS (such as multitasking performance) over all but the mainframe OS.

Please keep in mind that you're speaking with people who have very little to no idea what they're talking about.

AVG read a file as a false positive, the mistake was corrected promptly, and no damage was done, but still people here will act as if it's a critical flaw in everything about Windows. Amazing.

If anyone's looking for a decent discussion, it won't be found here in this thread.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

If anyone's looking for a decent discussion, it won't be found here in this thread.

Yeah, there's a lot of crud, but we did learn that AVG isn't great and that Avast and NOD32 (which I'd never heard of) are probably better. So, I learnt something at least.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadisonTate View Post

"Taped live" is an oxymoron.

That is redundant, not an oxymoron.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member

One more reason to go Mac.

Oh, and to put the question to rest, MS wants Word to drag on OSX, and Apple wants iTunes to drag on Windows. That's why these things happen.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oseame View Post

Any preferable anti-virus alternatives for those of us supporting Windows machines that contrary to their nature are expected to stay running and stable?

On the Windows machines I set up for folks who wish to use one of the free antivirus apps, I usually install either: Avira, Avast, or BitDefender (note there is no anti-spy function in BitDefender, so perhaps use Windows Defender anti-spy with that choice).

I am currently using Avira on my own Windows machine.

I agree that Avast and Avira are less intrusive, and seem (to me) to use less resource than AVG.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Yeah, there's a lot of crud, but we did learn that AVG isn't great and that Avast and NOD32 (which I'd never heard of) are probably better. So, I learnt something at least.

lol good point. I take back what I said.