As Verizon profit falls, president praises iPhone innovation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    The iphone is so good that it even works on AT&T. Looks like we're gonna have a carrier war next year.
  • Reply 22 of 105
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Um, hello! Verizon! It's not a good sign that your manufacturers needed to see the iPhone in order to "innovate". Copy is a better word.

I think it's part that the manufacturer needed the iPhone to copy, but also part that the carriers needed to see the iPhone's success in order for them to let the manufacturers innovate. Who knows what stuff the phone manufacturers could have come up with on their own if their every design wasn't dictated and/or crippled by the carriers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Are they kidding? So if I buy an Android phone, it will come installed with two stores selling Android software--the Android one and the Verizon one? If I buy a PalmPre, it will come with a Verizon store selling Pre software, and then the official Palm app as well?

No, according to Verizon's app store announcement, your phone will only come with one app store, namely Verizon's. If you want the Android or Palm app stores, you'll need to install them yourself.

Hmm, so does that mean I'd need to purchase the Palm app store application from the Verizon app store?
  • Reply 23 of 105
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

All commentary about technology aside (realistic LTE rollout speed, multiple iPhone architecture setups, etc), I simply can't understand how Apple would want to extend their contract with AT&T. Obviously, opening the doors would extend their financial opportunities - that's not even worth debating. But after WWDC, when several of the important new features of the 3GS had to be announced as not available at launch for the country in which the parent company is located... Just on embarrassment alone, that's a relationship-ender.

I can't imagine AT&T could offer enough money to offset those two points.

But maybe I'm just a wishful sot, longing for a Verizon iPhone...

I assume that the ATT exclusivity only pertains to the iPhone product category (a cell phone first).

Now, if Apple were to introduce another category, say a mobile device (laptop, netbook, game player, or tablet) that was not, primarily a phone, but used the cell network(s) in addition to other connectivity...

So, this new [category of] device, can be used as a phone, but that's not its primary use-- mobile access to content is the driving use (of the networks).

Apple could honor and expand their current iPhone agreements (ATT exclusive, in the US) while offering the new category to ATT & others, alike!

It need not be locked to a specific (or single) carrier, and could be paygo. Alternately, a contract with a minimum monthly subscription say $5 per carrier for 2 years, with several carriers. Then this smart device, wherever it happens to be, would "look around" for the "best deal" of the moment (signal quality, data rate, cost per minute, minutes used this month thresholds, etc.).

If you tended to use a few carriers, you could sign a contract with these, for a larger monthly rate and get a reduced cost per minute.

As posted in other threads, I believe that this new category will be a "must-have" for all segments of the population, and will sell in the hundreds of millions per year.

Dick
  • Reply 24 of 105
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

Well said! Yep, Don't be a putz like the music industry, the television industry (HBO, NBC), the movie industry, (Disney, etc), the cell phone industry, (Verizon-2 years ago, Motorola-ROKR), IBM (PowerPC chip maker), Microsoft (Zune, Live, Mobile windows, Vista, etc.), CompUSA, Walmart, HP, Dell, Sony (Desktops & laptops), Scandisk (MP3 players), & China! The list goes on and on! Apple is "schooling" these twits!

Watch out Kindle, Camera manufacturers, Hand-held game manufactures and GPS manufacturers!

Yeah, it is too bad that Apple can't take over every electronic device. Then we can have Apple dictating everything we do. We won't have to be confused about what we run on our devices, Apple will only allow what Apple wants you to have. They know best. Our lives as drones can be happy and bliss. Thanks Apple for controlling ever aspect of our Apple devices. Freedom to choose is overrated.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    In the Apple quarterly call COO Tim Cook said that the company has an "excellent relationship" with AT&T and that Apple is very happy with it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Yeah, it's been kinda hard to miss the story-between-the-lines this summer.

AAPL on ATT: ...

ATT on AAPL: we won't always have the iPhone.

VZW on AAPL: Apple is innovative and successful.

• Reply 26 of 105
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

How can Verizon possibly carry the iPhone if they are going to insist on having their own app store? That would seem to be an instant deal breaker for Apple.

i'm pretty sure you can get Blackberry AppWorld and it's 100 apps on a Verizon Blackberry
  • Reply 27 of 105
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

All commentary about technology aside (realistic LTE rollout speed, multiple iPhone architecture setups, etc), I simply can't understand how Apple would want to extend their contract with AT&T. Obviously, opening the doors would extend their financial opportunities - that's not even worth debating. But after WWDC, when several of the important new features of the 3GS had to be announced as not available at launch for the country in which the parent company is located... Just on embarrassment alone, that's a relationship-ender.

I can't imagine AT&T could offer enough money to offset those two points.

But maybe I'm just a wishful sot, longing for a Verizon iPhone...

Same thing on Verizon, except Blackberry will announce a new phone and you have to wait 3 months until you can buy it
  • Reply 28 of 105
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Now you know what iPhone owners have been experiencing for 2 years. Even more so back in 2007 when comparatively there was less competition to the UI and web browser.

QUOTE]

Not so sure about that- everything I'm enjoying now, the iPhone didn't have back then- the video, the texting, the copy and pasting , even the compass- love all of that. Even the Apps weren't around then. But I hear what you saying- somewhat.
  • Reply 29 of 105
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

Aren't LTE and 4G two completely different animals?

No.

LTE and WiMax are 4g technology.
  • Reply 30 of 105
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Um, hello! Verizon! It's not a good sign that your manufacturers needed to see the iPhone in order to "innovate". Copy is a better word.

And Apple doesn't copy things? Please.
  • Reply 31 of 105
    Quote:

Well said!
  • Reply 32 of 105
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Shamelessly copying an innovative new device like the iPhone (and copying it badly at that) is not "innovation". So far, we have seen very little genuine innovation coming from the iPhone's would-be competitors. This situation will hopefully change, but not until the handset makers realize how far behind they actually are.
  • Reply 33 of 105
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

There must be at least two separate agreements between Apple and AT&T as revenue sharing definitely isn't in their latest agreement. It may be that there initial agreement for 5 years but as of now it is only two years from 2008-2010.

They have made two separate agreements. Go back over the 10-Qs for the past 5 years.
  • Reply 34 of 105
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Regarding AT&T's network.

The AT&T deal has been so lucrative for Apple that they were willing to devote heavy resources on the iPhone project to give AT&T a platform to test all the capabilities and short coming of their 3G network technologies deployed.

Apple has been working with AT&T to help them improve it for the past 4 years.
  • Reply 35 of 105
    Quote:

Agreed. Especially after the CEO makes a statement like this during their earnings call.

From Bloomberg.com: ?There?s a very good possibility? Verizon will offer an LTE device with Apple, McAdam said. He declined to comment on whether the companies may collaborate before that.
  • Reply 36 of 105
    The basis isn't true. Apple has said it's conference call that they are extremely happy with AT&T.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StupidGenius View Post

Agreed. Especially after the CEO makes a statement like this during their earnings call.

From Bloomberg.com: “There’s a very good possibility” Verizon will offer an LTE device with Apple, McAdam said. He declined to comment on whether the companies may collaborate before that.

• Reply 37 of 105
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I don't see any reason for Apple to stop using AT&T. They seem to have a good relationship. At the same time...it would be great for Apple to expand their offerings and offer a Verizon iPhone. I think it would only benefit Apple and its customers and potential customers. There are customers that are perfectly happy with AT&T and making them switch to another carrier may not be the best thing to do. At the same time, there are people who don't like AT&T for one reason or another and would like to keep using the iPhone, but not with AT&T's service, or they would like to buy an iPhone, but are turned off by the fact that they have to use AT&T.

I know this puts possibly a little more strain on the iPhone engineering team, but I just think it would be nice for Apple to broaden its horizons a little and not keep everything to 1 device. Apple knows it has a hit on its hands now, unlike when it first introduced the iPhone. This could really make the iPhone bigger than it already is.
  • Reply 38 of 105
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

In the Apple quarterly call COO Tim Cook said that the company has an "excellent relationship" with AT&T and that Apple is very happy with it.

If Apple is negotiating with Verizon, it would not have given Apple any leverage

to say that they were unhappy with AT&T. Cook's statement reminds me of the

statements often made by owners of sports teams, who praise the unsuccessful

coach just a few days before replacing him.
  • Reply 39 of 105
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

How can Verizon possibly carry the iPhone if they are going to insist on having their own app store? That would seem to be an instant deal breaker for Apple.

SJ to verizon ceo: "A verizon app store?" *snickers* "Whatever, now shut up and listen! This is how the apple app store works and this is what you need to do to get your network to support it. And you had better not @#$@ this up!"
  • Reply 40 of 105
    I'm sure Apple and Verizon are talking. When and if they will come to an agreement, there is no way for any of us to know. You cannot just make up Apple's disatisfaction with AT&T when they publicly say the opposite. I beleive Apple likely hates all of the US carriers.

While I agree if the iPhone were on Verizon and AT&T, Apple would own the US mobile phone market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If Apple is negotiating with Verizon, it would not have given Apple any leverage to say that they were unhappy with AT&T. Cook's statement reminds me of the

statements often made by owners of sports teams, who praise the unsuccessful

coach just a few days before replacing him.