Apple seeds iPhone 3.1 Beta 3 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple provided iPhone developers Monday afternoon with a third beta of iPhone 3.1, the first planned update to its third-generation mobile operating system.

Beta 3 is only accessible to those with an existing developer account. Labeled build 7C116A, it weighs in at 307MB.

Apple also released a new iPhone SDK for OS 3.1. The SDK build is 9M2808.

Those running Beta 2 must update by midnight tonight (local time based on each individual device) in order to continue using the device without interruption.

As revealed with the first beta release, 3.1 adds Bluetooth and video features. Users can now invoke Voice Control using a Bluetooth headset rather than a wired headset or the built-in microphone. When editing video clips, users can save a copy of the trimmed video instead of permanently losing the discarded ends.

Since the second beta, iPhone OS 3.1 has allowed developers to connect to and work with a system wirelessly, without the tether of a USB cable.

At least one developer has been told that the new update will allow for augmented reality apps, which overlay information and controls on top of real-world objects seen through a camera.

Unofficially, iPhone OS 3.1 is anticipated to be ready by early September, just in time for Apple's by now yearly iPod updates -- and the seemingly probable release of an iPod touch with a camera that could take advantage of augmented reality when using Wi-Fi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple provided iPhone developers Monday afternoon with a third beta of iPhone 3.1, the first update to its third-generation mobile operating system.

Beta 3 is only accessible to those with an existing developer account. It includes new features and bug fixes.

AppleInsider will update this story with more information as it becomes available.

guys... when you have this little, you should at least call it "breaking news" or something similar so that we can not bother to click the link...

really, nothing beyond the headline yet!

maybe you could make it a linkless headline, with the text below saying "more coming soon" or the like

that said, I generally like your reporting, just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

BTW, my post is longer than the article!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 29
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Woohoo, we are getting closer to 3.1 being released to the public. I suspect we are two betas away from release.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Here's to hoping that AT&T finally turns on MMS when the final 3.1 is released in the next week or two.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    tyrnighttyrnight Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

guys... when you have this little, you should at least call it "breaking news" or something similar so that we can not bother to click the link...

really, nothing beyond the headline yet!

maybe you could make it a linkless headline, with the text below saying "more coming soon" or the like

that said, I generally like your reporting, just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

BTW, my post is longer than the article!!!!

yes.. yes... but that is ALL the info Apple has released.. the DIFF file only says AudioToolbox modifications..
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Cool, didn't even realize it was out but i"m downloading now
  • Reply 6 of 29
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    the first 30 days have passed and Apple has not fixed issues with the wifi that have been reported... They seem to be more interested in getting this camera crap fixed more so than wifi... thank you Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Cool, didn't even realize it was out but i"m downloading now

My friend is a developer and he let me on to his account, sadly he is out of town right now and I can't get into contact with him. Is it plausible to seed the 3.1 beta 3 release some were for me? Thanks for your time.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by futuramaking View Post

My friend is a developer and he let me on to his account, sadly he is out of town right now and I can't get into contact with him. Is it plausible to seed the 3.1 beta 3 release some were for me? Thanks for your time.

Uh, you're joking, right?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Is your UDID activated?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Uh, you're joking, right?

What's so bad about that? It clearly says beta 2 users must update by 12 tonight. I wouldn't want to be stuck with a blocked phone, and if he's just trying to come up on the firmware then it will be his loss because his UDID isn't activated.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Is your UDID activated?

hope he gets the 3.1 beta regardless. if his device is 'registered' then it works, if not then it will teach him a lesson.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

*** Please don't post email addresses publicly ***
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

Is your UDID activated?

Yes it is.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    neonsoxneonsox Posts: 5member
    They should release some fixes before September.
    • Better A2DP Quality with AVRCP

• Fix icon switching issue

• Better icon refreshing (badge management)

• WiFi issues some have been reporting

• MMS and Tethering, but that's AT&T

Just to name a few off the top of my head. I could get greedy and add a bump in processor speed to that list, but it's plenty fast... for now.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Is it a stupid question to ask when we will see wireless syncing?

I used to sync my good old nokia via bluetooth. why isn't that supported by the iphone? I hate getting this damn cable out of my bag just to update one calendar event...

And please don't even try to tell me that I have to get MobileMe. I WON'T pay for this basic function!
  • Reply 16 of 29
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

What's so bad about that? It clearly says beta 2 users must update by 12 tonight. I wouldn't want to be stuck with a blocked phone, and if he's just trying to come up on the firmware then it will be his loss because his UDID isn't activated.

I admit I skimmed the article and that part didn't sink in. It does seem unreasonable that people should only be given less than a day to upgrade firmware without risking the uninterrupted use of their device.

However, he is mooching off a "friend", who actually took the effort to register as a developer. This friend has breeched his contract by allowing others to use his account. Asking others publicly to share a beta version of Apple's OS is totally inappropriate - it's asking other strangers to breech their contract as well. This is like someone posting "yo l33t dudes, cAn U upl0ad the nEw Halo4 beta? I n33d to checK it 0ut!" The post(s) should probably be pulled.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weckbeckheck View Post

And please don't even try to tell me that I have to get MobileMe. I WON'T pay for this basic function!

MobileMe is a lot more than the nice push between iPhone OS X, Windows, and Mac OS X, but if you only want the syncing of contacts and calendars then you shouldn?t pay the $60 for it. There are plenty of free chooses that will offer you those two features. Just don?t expect Bluetooth syncing of 32GB of your media content. That is just insane.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

I admit I skimmed the article and that part didn't sink in. It does seem unreasonable that people should only be given less than a day to upgrade firmware without risking the uninterrupted use of their device.

However, he is mooching off a "friend", who actually took the effort to register as a developer. This friend has breeched his contract by allowing others to use his account. Asking others publicly to share a beta version of Apple's OS is totally inappropriate - it's asking other strangers to breech their contract as well. This is like someone posting "yo l33t dudes, cAn U upl0ad the nEw Halo4 beta? I n33d to checK it 0ut!" The post(s) should probably be pulled.

Not even a day, barely 12 hours. A large amount of Devs activate friends Idevice for fun because they are allowed 100 devices, and I'm assuming no single person has that many. I see no harm in it and obviously a lot of people will be disturbed tonight who didn't catch wind of the timeline or who didn't have the chance to log on.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Why wouldn't you just use Google, NuevaSync, or any of the other methods that use the Exchange ActiveSync protocol for OTA syncing of Calendars & Contacts - I have used it since 2.0 and never once plugged in my phone to sync a contact or calendar nor had to use MMe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weckbeckheck View Post

Is it a stupid question to ask when we will see wireless syncing?

I used to sync my good old nokia via bluetooth. why isn't that supported by the iphone? I hate getting this damn cable out of my bag just to update one calendar event...

• Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WHBoulware View Post

Why wouldn't you just use Google, NuevaSync, or any of the other methods that use the Exchange ActiveSync protocol for OTA syncing of Calendars & Contacts - I have used it since 2.0 and never once plugged in my phone to sync a contact or calendar nor had to use MMe.

OK. This is getting Off-Topic, but could you describe, what excately the steps are, that I have to take?

I looked up NuevaSync and it requires Google Calendars, Google Contacts and Google Mail. Call me paranoid and laugh at me, but I don't want google to know all my contacts and all my dates. Is this a strange attitude nowadays? I don't want any private company (nor the state) to know this information.

Alternatives?