As Verizon profit falls, president praises iPhone innovation

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

They took 3 separate jabs at AT&T. Twice with Forstall with MMS & tethering and once with Schiller. It was dramatic.

Why couldn't this simply be a jab to motivate AT&T to get its act together?

Quote:

I'm not aware of them ever publicly scolding a manufacturer. Even through the Nvidia GPU fiasco, they didn't go after them. All of it has been speculation. Even the speculation seemed from sources inside Nvidia.

Dropping support for a manufacturer is about as public a scolding as can be given. Apple dropped PowerPC (Freescale and IBM) because they could not keep up with Intel. Apple punished ATI because ATI leaked privileged information. Apple refuses to accept flash on the iPhone because they feel flash is not good enough.

Quote:

I don't understand your last comment. Your saying it will end and saying that Verizon may not get it. Verizon has already been rumored by multiple sites as being the carrier for the tablet. Why would Apple end exclusivity only to ignore the one company who has the highest respect for quality of network, was their initial choice to carry the iPhone and looks to be the carrier of their tablet device.

Yes AT&T exclusivity will end, but that does not automatically mean Verizon gets the iPhone.

Those rumors are from people who have no idea what Apple is actually going to do. We cannot trust that as first hand information.

The list of Apple rumors that were wrong is three times as long as the Apple rumors that were correct.

Quote:

I'm not pulling this out of my behind. There are many signs that Verizon will carry the iPhone within two years are there. BTW the way you also have no idea if they're having negotiations or not. You are also jumping to conclusions because you are not there.

You are using information that other people may be pulling out of their behinds.

Its highly likely Apple and Verizon are flirting with each other, they both offer benefit to the other. The iPhone is AT&T's main weapon against Verizon. Verizon offers access to 87 million subscribers to the iPhone.

Who knows what may come from the any talks, but its a good bet some type of talks are going on.
  • Reply 62 of 105
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Verizon will require its new phones to have WiFi in 2010

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robre View Post

I might be wrong but isn't it true that all of the Verizon phones have WiFi disabled? Who would want an iPhone or an Pad without WiFi? Oh - I just figured it out: EXISTING Verizon customers. Enough for Apple to submit itself to "neutering" its hardware. I hope not.

• Reply 63 of 105
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

You are being sarcastic right? the iPhone is the all in one device. GPS device sales are down and TomTom announce a GPS app. Amazon just play Big Brother against George Orwell. OH, THE IRONY kills me. I'll read my e-books on the iTouch.

You have the choice to use other "smartphones"

from a choice of carrier like Verizon.

You can choice to carry a ...

* Camcorders »

* Cameras »

* MP3 Music player»

* Cellphones »

* Netbook »

* G.P.S. device»

* Nintendow DS »

* PSP »

OR an iPhone.

and

ZUNE

KINDLE

CALENDAR

CALCULATOR

HAM SANDWICH

I/V CHAT

IPODTOUCH

OR

AN

IPHONE
  • Reply 64 of 105
    Having Verizon to carry iPhone is a concern.

In the past record, Verizon will "kill"/"hide" other features from factory phones.

You think AT&T limiting the Skype and Tithering is bad. Verizon would block you from syncing the ringtone and wallpaper using Bluetooth and data cable, which are part of factory phone features.

I would be extremely concern if Apple can maintain such a great platform for both developers and users after under Verizon greedy management. To be honest, I am happy (at least okay) with AT&T coverage so far. Not gonna change to Verizon even after iPhone.
  • Reply 65 of 105
    The downside that I see is that if there is a new tablet device on the Verizon network, then it would get more expensive for people to have both devices.

If I could get everything through one or the other (AT&T or Verizon) then at least it is only one huge bill a month and not two.

The fact that AT&T is lagging in features is a bit crazy considering they all appear to be software issues.
  • Reply 66 of 105
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    In order for the iPhone to move to Verizon they're gonna have to let Apple control the phone like they do with AT&T. It sounds like Verizon wants the iPhone bad enough to where it may compromise on that. Otherwise its obviously not going to work and you know Apple isn't going to relinquish control of their own phone to a carrier.
  • Reply 67 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"This as AT&T chief executive Randall Stephenson is reportedly working behind the scenes to extend his company's exclusive iPhone contract with Apple."

I work for at&t and Randall (don't call him Randy) Stephenson is about as stuff-shirted and bean-counting as they get. He's an accountant, not an engineer. I can't imagine how Randall and SJ would even communicate with each other as their culture and lifestyles are polar opposites. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in those "behind the scenes" efforts.

You are very likely correct.

But I'll say this. he listened to SJ's pitch, and went in all the way.

Gotta give him credit for that. I believed him when he said that they hadn't even seen a prototype.
  • Reply 68 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes I do realize that. I'm just saying we cannot jump to conclusions based on no real information. I think it more likely that Apple doesn't care for any of the carriers.

True.
  • Reply 69 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

They took 3 separate jabs at AT&T. Twice with Forstall with MMS & tethering and once with Schiller. It was dramatic. This is not a company that let's out these kinds of things publicly. Even when it's subtle, it is extremely noticeable. Especially when Apple has been extremely polite to AT&T for the past 2 1/2 years. When you purposely make people laugh in the audience at the expense of your partner and carrier, it is very noticeable.

I'm not aware of them ever publicly scolding a manufacturer. Even through the Nvidia GPU fiasco, they didn't go after them. All of it has been speculation. Even the speculation seemed from sources inside Nvidia.

I don't understand your last comment. Your saying it will end and saying that Verizon may not get it. Verizon has already been rumored by multiple sites as being the carrier for the tablet. Why would Apple end exclusivity only to ignore the one company who has the highest respect for quality of network, was their initial choice to carry the iPhone and looks to be the carrier of their tablet device.

I'm not pulling this out of my behind. There are many signs that Verizon will carry the iPhone within two years are there. BTW the way you also have no idea if they're having negotiations or not. You are also jumping to conclusions because you are not there.

Oh, it wasn't that dramatic. Apple tweaked them, that's all. More is being made of this than it was.

It doesn't mean that behind the scenes Apple isn't really ticked.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    All this back-and-forth ("ATT is good!" "No, verizon is better!!" etc) simply reinforces the realization that the US has a pathetic mobile telephony infrastructure compared to many other - in some cases less develeoped - parts of the world.

Yet, sadly, some of us think we're King of the Hill (It's the same thing with health care).

I don't know what's more laughable: being actually backward, or convincing ourselves that we are not.
  • Reply 71 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

All this back-and-forth ("ATT is good!" "No, verizon is better!!" etc) simply reinforces the realization that the US has a pathetic mobile telephony infrastructure compared to many other - in some cases less develeoped - parts of the world.

Yet, sadly, some of us think we're King of the Hill (It's the same thing with health care).

I don't know what's more laughable: being actually backward, or convincing ourselves that we are not.

Oh come on. I was told the same thing when I was in England. O2 is better, no - Orange, no - Vodafone. We read people here saying the same thing about the companies in their own countries.

How many people in Canada seem to like Rogers?

No one likes the phone companies.
  • Reply 72 of 105
    I wish the iPhone goes to Verizon soon.
  • Reply 73 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh come on. I was told the same thing when I was in England. O2 is better, no - Orange, no - Vodafone. We read people here saying the same thing about the companies in their own countries.

I suppose only Verizon or ATnT can make the cut for Apple.
  • Reply 74 of 105
    Quote:

I agree with you about no one liking their phone companies. And, I agree with you about Canada. I was really talking about neither.

My point was about the many, many countries - pretty much most of Europe and Asia - that have a cellular infrastructure (e.g., coverage, calls dropped), product offerings (e.g., MMS, tethering), and service quality (e.g., pricing, wide availability of pre-paid wth ability to switch SIM cards) that far exceeds ours.
  • Reply 75 of 105
    robrerobre Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Verizon will require its new phones to have WiFi in 2010

Sounds like a statement coming from Verizon! It was and is THEM that made the decision to not have WiFi in the phones! They always had a choice.

Here is how it works: A manufacturer such as RIM, Samsung, or Apple designs a phone. They take it to the carrier and the carrier selects what features the phone will have with them. VZ is the biggest "crippler" around. Years ago they crippled Bluetooth. They only allowed it to work with headsets, because they did not have a choice - the competition had it. You could not get photos and videos transfered from phone to the PC for free! Then Wifi came along and VZ went at it again - ignored it. Would disturb their revenue model.

Now that they are the ones "on their knees", they will have to accept to keep features like visual voice mail, Wifi, iTunes store and the app store, and a free GPS in the phone.

(And yes, I know. Apple crippled the Bluetooth profiles as well. But they found better ways to get photos and videos out of the phone.

Don't get me wrong - I like VZs network. It's gonna be interesting to see VZ "bend". Stay strong Apple!
  • Reply 76 of 105
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

I wish the iPhone goes to Verizon soon.

I certainly don't. Verizon has done nothing in the past 6 years to convince me they want my business through incentives.

The 450, 900 minutes, ... are the same, just now more expensive.

They don't impress me at all.
  • Reply 77 of 105
    voodooruvoodooru Posts: 70member
    "When you think about what Apple has done in bringing the iPhone into the marketplace," he said during the Q2 2009 conference call, "it truly has accelerated innovation. And as we talk to all of our manufacturers, everybody has come out with their own iconic device, and I think that this has been very good overall for our customers."

everybody has come out with their own iconic device???

LOL!!

that's reeeaally stretching the definition a bit, don't cha think??
  • Reply 78 of 105
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robre View Post

VZ is the biggest "crippler" around. Years ago they crippled Bluetooth. They only allowed it to work with headsets, because they did not have a choice - the competition had it. You could not get photos and videos transfered from phone to the PC for free!

While I agree that Verizon senselessly limits functionality, as a blanket statement this is not correct. The last Verizon phone I had I could easily sync my Address Book contacts via Bluetooth. And with my current phone I can sync contacts and transfer photos and videos via Bluetooth. Out of the box. No phone hacks or secret codes or anything.

But I do think it's silly for Verizon to nickel and dime customers by asking them to transfer photos and such via their network instead of direct to your computer. They should just let all of their phones do it instead of only some. How much money could they possibly make? But then again, all the carriers are guilty of this same strategy when it comes to SMS...charge ridiculous amounts per usage to force people into signing up for additional monthly service plans.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree with you about no one liking their phone companies. And, I agree with you about Canada. I was really talking about neither.

My point was about the many, many countries - pretty much most of Europe and Asia - that have a cellular infrastructure (e.g., coverage, calls dropped), product offerings (e.g., MMS, tethering), and service quality (e.g., pricing, wide availability of pre-paid wth ability to switch SIM cards) that far exceeds ours.

I wonder how true that really is. Some things in some places are better no doubt, but I'm sure that some are worse. We're too used to people from all over, including us, stating how much better things are over "here". I tend to believe the "grass is greener on the other side" concept is corrupt.

Sometimes thing are different. That doesn't make them better or worse. Also, people from different places LIKE different things, and can't imagine why people in that "other place" do it differently. I mean, WE don't like it that way, so it must be worse.

Well, not really.
  • Reply 80 of 105
    Quote:

I wonder how true that really is. Some things in some places are better no doubt, but I'm sure that some are worse. We're too used to people from all over, including us, stating how much better things are over "here". I tend to believe the "grass is greener on the other side" concept is corrupt.

Sometimes thing are different. That doesn't make them better or worse. Also, people from different places LIKE different things, and can't imagine why people in that "other place" do it differently. I mean, WE don't like it that way, so it must be worse.

Well, not really.

+1. To each man his own choice.