This looks cool....But.....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This looks cool but i wonder if it works faster than VPC with windows xp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I imagine it works significantly better, since it doesn't have to emulate hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>I imagine it works significantly better, since it doesn't have to emulate hardware.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Neither does VNC (Virtual Network Computing).
  • Reply 3 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>Neither does VNC</strong><hr></blockquote>Um, frank said VPC, not VNC. VPC is emulated. VNC is only good if you have another actual computer networked nearby.

Anyhow, yes, when MoL first started supporting OSX, I read reports that the OSX environment is downright fast, taking a near-zero speed hit.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    The question you should be asking yourself is, is this legal and how long will it be before Apple shuts these guys down?

Also, who would want to run OS X inside of Linux anyway? I mean come on! I thought what Linux folks liked so much about OS X was that they could play DVDs and write shell scripts in one operating system and not have to dual boot or use an emulator like Mac-on-Linux.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Of course this is perfectly legal, provided that you own a copy of Mac OS X. MoL is just like WINE or Classic -- it runs the OS in an environment that appears to be the computer itself.

People have been running Mac-on-Linux with OS7/8/9 for YEARS. I have never once seen a complaint from Apple.

Why do it? Uhh, maybe so you can run Mac OS X software on linux. Hard-core linux users may never want to actually boot into or run OSX full-time, but they may still want to run the occasional OSX-only app. Like WINE, this allows them to do that.

[ 12-07-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    - or they do it because it makes it possible to run

MacOS X on a teron ppc box..
  • Reply 7 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Um, frank said VPC, not VNC. VPC is emulated. VNC is only good if you have another actual computer networked nearby.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh sorry. I really need new glasses
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I think the OS X dock should work and look more like the bottom menubar in that picture. It should fit all the way across the bottom of the screen and any open app window should not conflict with it.

Plus, I think it would be better if it was used more to display system status items. And, it'd be nice if a section of it was reserved for 3rd party items.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>I think the OS X dock should work and look more like the bottom menubar in that picture. It should fit all the way across the bottom of the screen and any open app window should not conflict with it.

Plus, I think it would be better if it was used more to display system status items. And, it'd be nice if a section of it was reserved for 3rd party items.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Believe me, the KDE dock is one of the worst inventions in Graphical User Interface history.