Apple pulling Google Voice-enabled iPhone apps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141
    Quote:

the lag on even a 3G network is high enough that holding a regular conversation isn't really feasible, for example

Bollocks. I've spent two hours this morning having conversations from South Africa to the UK, on Skype, over 3G, via my iPhone. The parties receiving the call didn't even notice that I was 6000 miles away.

3G lag == operator kool aid.
  • Reply 42 of 141
    bob4000bob4000 Posts: 2member
    Yeah, Chipman called me about my app too. He was so polite but still a superjerk. It's probably not him. He's just a meat puppet being told what to do.
  • Reply 43 of 141
    Joikuspot + Nokia + iPhone = AT&T can suck a fat one.
  • Reply 44 of 141
    It's really unacceptable to reject such an app. Sometimes Apple does have their boo-boos too.
  • Reply 45 of 141
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    I had a neighbor friend who, when I was going to be flying out of the country, would ask if I would get him a carton of cigarettes, duty-free. No problem.

After a couple of times, he then asked if would I mind getting him a bottle of rum as well.

When he learned that I would be flying out weekly to Jamaica for the next 6 months, sure enough, he expected that I continue to fill his requests. When I hesitated, he simply said, "Hey, you are going there anyway, you don't smoke and you don't drink rum. And it doesn't cost you anything as you are writing off the travel expenses for business."

Well, I did it for a few trips, Then I discovered that he was selling the rum to his brothers, for a profit.

On my following return, he came over for his booty and I let him know that I didn't mind doing it for personal use as a friend…he understood the 'rum' part, "But what about my cigarettes?

To which I responded, "Sorry. But as a friend, I couldn't live with the thought of you getting cancer."

Needless to say, we are no longer 'friends'. Or neighbors.

By the way, when we moved out of the community, I learned that he had gotten his next door neighbor to let him share their internet connection via WiFi. For free. "After all, it didn't cost them anymore money to let him use it too."

P.S. Based on some of the comments here, does anybody here live on Clarkson Drive?
  • Reply 46 of 141
    zhe wizzhe wiz Posts: 4member
    From one of your biggest supporters: SCREW YOU APPLE! This really irks me. So many good apps are being pulled/denied for BS reasons: QIK, sling player and now Google Voice. I never thought I'd say this, but your competitors are looking better all the time. Either switch or jailbreak, those are my options.

Zhe Wiz
  • Reply 47 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zhe Wiz View Post

From one of your biggest supporters: SCREW YOU APPLE! This really irks me. So many good apps are being pulled/denied for BS reasons: QIK, sling player and now Google Voice. I never thought I'd say this, but your competitors are looking better all the time. Either switch or jailbreak, those are my options.

Zhe Wiz

+1 This is what irks me about this policy of the App Store.
  • Reply 48 of 141
    I am an other one who will take a good look at the Android phones once my iPhone contract expires.
  • Reply 49 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Joikuspot + Nokia + iPhone = AT&T can suck a fat one.

LOL! I laughed upon seeing that.
  • Reply 50 of 141
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    Quote:

Neither Apple nor AT&T has clarified their stances on the issue

Neither Apple nor AT&T have a stance on this issue. They will simply do as they please and invent whatever flimsy justification their PR departments feel like using that day. I think pulling Google Voice apps is incredibly stupid on Apple's part.
  • Reply 51 of 141
    Even as of a few weeks ago, I was craving an iPhone on Verizon. But I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon pulled these stunts too and Apple complied. The iPhone has so much room for innovation, but in terms of just being a phone (if Apple keeps getting rid of apps that encourage competition with cell carriers), it seems like Android is looking better all the time, if Google fully incorporates all of their services into the phone OS.
  • Reply 52 of 141
    I am baffled how Skype can be allowed but not GoogleVoice!

Skype also allows you to make and recieve phone calls as well as send text messages.

Skype is limited to WiFi and this is a reasonable restriction.

GV should be allowed but restricted to WiFi use as well.

I wonder if any of this is to give the appearance to the Attourney General that Apple and Google aren't in bed with each other. Should there be any antritrust action they can point to this and say "look we didn't give them any preferential treatment".

Also on a side note, If Apple can sell an iPod Touch for $229, An iPhone 3G S shouldn't cost $600-700. I'm guessing Apple is making 30% profit on an iPod Touch and around a 50% profit on the iPhone.
  • Reply 53 of 141
    You still charged for inbound SMS. This is no different from AOL IM. This is Apple at work and not ATT&T. Google voice is already out for Blackberry, which ATT has many models, and is coming for WM, with ATT has dozens of models.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Repeating what others have said: Google Voice is not VOIP. However - it does provide a front-end for dialing through its web interface.

There are two ways GV is a threat to AT&T right now:

Directly: I could use it for ALL my SMS needs from the iPhone. Not as convenient as SMS on the iPhone plans but it works. I can also choose to use GV some of the time, like when my plan is low on SMS messages.

Indirectly: I can use my landline, conveniently, for free outbound long distance, resulting in less use of my iPhone voice minutes. Otherwise I'd be using iPhone minutes to take advantage of free long distance.

The comments about voice quality are moot. This is all about AT&T stifling innovation - which is what they do best. Where have the carriers been with all the features GV offers? Shouldn't their expertise have made it easy to offer these things, even if for a fee?

• Reply 54 of 141
    This is ridiculous. I have PURCHASED three apps that have been removed, almost immediately after my purchase.

Aside from the fact that this is fraud, it's totally unfair and really bad business to limit a developer or a buyer, post fact. I am not a stupid person, nor do I think that any buyer is going to be confused by any similarity an app might (or might NOT) have with the iPhone.

Application development is a time consuming and expensive process. This is a very stupid move on Apple's part. Expecting application developers to spend the time and money to complete an application on the chance that it will make to the "App" store is unfair and wrong headed. An application?s success or failure should be a market decision.

Has Apple become an enemy?

I've been in several major law suites (which I've won) but anyone who's been through that process will tell you that there are no winners, it doesn?t matter what you walk away with because the time and energy it takes to win, is time taken away from the rest of your life.

However, this a case worth winning. A class action case worth bringing.

I waited more than a year for Google Voice. Now that I have it, I can tell you it's fantastic. It?s helpful and works for me. HOWEVER, it needs a dedicated iPhone App.

Both of the pulled apps are good, but need ongoing development. Given they have been pulled after my purchase, I AM PISSED. There won?t be anymore development. Why limit any of this, why tie third party development to Apple?s self-image?

This is exactly the type of behavior I've "Joked" with Apple about, only now it's become a fact and not a joke. This kind of ?thinking?(lack of thinking, really) kills innovation. Exactly the type of behavior that killed what little innovative spirit Microsoft once had.

I think it's time to put together a class action, give WGM in NY a call but more important get the best PR firm in the world to start making noise.

Apple needs to get real and stop acting like Microsoft. PMG can't you get anybody to listen there? WAKE UP.

If this is the result of AT&T it is time for congress to move on the "exclusivity" issue. In fact, it's time to consider whether or NOT Apple should have the exclusive rights to limit what developers want to produce and the public wants to purchase. Freedom is NOT just another word for nothing left to loose?
  • Reply 55 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

This is yet another reason that if Verizon ever gets the iphone I will be one of those goofballs on tv waiting in 5 hours lines to sign up. I give ATT too much money to be shortchanged. If ATT reads this....Ich verlasse dich!!!

You are insane! Verizon is 10X more resrtrictive than AT&T. They cripple Bluetooth on their phones and tell the handset manufacturers what Apps can be on the phone. Apple tried to work with Verizon first before they went with ATT. Verizon wanted to control the iPhone and limit a lot of it's capabilities. AT&T is far from perfect bit they aren't nearly as draconian in protecting their antiquated business model.
  • Reply 56 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

You are insane! Verizon is 10X more resrtrictive than AT&T. They cripple Bluetooth on their phones and tell the handset manufacturers what Apps can be on the phone. Apple tried to work with Verizon first before they went with ATT. Verizon wanted to control the iPhone and limit a lot of it's capabilities. AT&T is far from perfect bit they aren't nearly as draconian in protecting their antiquated business model.

Basically, all cell carriers suck.
  • Reply 57 of 141
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

This is a great decision by Apple.

Why should Google come along and deprive Apple and their valued partners of revenues? Go play with your Android friends Google. You are not wanted here.

Even more important ensuring voice calls are of the highest possible quality. Guess who is going to get blamed when call quality is terrible, lines drop, and latency makes conversation next to impossible? The iPhone of course!!!

Apple did the right thing here.

Amazing. You've managed to troll these guys with a single statement better than anyone I've ever seen. First rule of trolling: Believe it. You have to sell it, and you did just that.

I mean, I don't pick up on any sarcasm, and what you said pretty much wraps up the wrost of what people think of Apple fanboys; Just let Apple do what they want and praise them for it, even when what they are doing only benefits themselves and not the consumer.

I applaud you sir. You are king of the trolls.
  • Reply 58 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Dude STFU, you don't have a clue of what your talking about, google voice is not a VOIP service.

Google Voice is just a virtual phone # that forward calls to your phone. Pulling this App makes no sense at all cause people can still log to google voice via the web browser and use the service. If AT&T had a free incoming call plan i will understand that they could be losing out on something but since they don't, i don't see a how this app could heard them.

Google Voice isn't a VOIP service? Really? Really?

How is it they can afford to allow unlimited calls to anywhere in the US and Canada?

How does my voice get from point A to point B? Voice Over Magic?
  • Reply 59 of 141
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yes because of all of those VoIP apps that Verizon has on it's phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

This is yet another reason that if Verizon ever gets the iphone I will be one of those goofballs on tv waiting in 5 hours lines to sign up. I give ATT too much money to be shortchanged. If ATT reads this....Ich verlasse dich!!!

• Reply 60 of 141
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I had a neighbor friend who, when I was going to be flying out of the country, would ask if I would get him a carton of cigarettes, duty-free. No problem.

After a couple of times, he then asked if would I mind getting him a bottle of rum as well.

When he learned that I would be flying out weekly to Jamaica for the next 6 months, sure enough, he expected that I continue to fill his requests. When I hesitated, he simply said, "Hey, you are going there anyway, you don't smoke and you don't drink rum. And it doesn't cost you anything as you are writing off the travel expenses for business."

Well, I did it for a few trips, Then I discovered that he was selling the rum to his brothers, for a profit.

On my following return, he came over for his booty and I let him know that I didn't mind doing it for personal use as a friend?he understood the 'rum' part, "But what about my cigarettes?

To which I responded, "Sorry. But as a friend, I couldn't live with the thought of you getting cancer."

Needless to say, we are no longer 'friends'. Or neighbors.

By the way, when we moved out of the community, I learned that he had gotten his next door neighbor to let him share their internet connection via WiFi. For free. "After all, it didn't cost them anymore money to let him use it too."

P.S. Based on some of the comments here, does anybody here live on Clarkson Drive?

What in the hell does this have to do with anything?

You're saying GV was pulled because Apple got tired of Google being an asshole? :P