Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as September

Comments

• Reply 21 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I'd expect Apple to hold the tablet back for CES. Get some buzz when holiday sales wear off. Introduce it in September and every competitor has one at CES. Do it this way and Apple keeps the stage for their new CES presence.

You could be right

- they could introduce the new ipods in September, which would sell well for xmas

- a new product category introduced at the start of their peak season might confuse the customers - as most people would be trying to figure out what to do with it (myself included)

- so a January infroduction might allow for a smoother, less disruptive introduction.

BTW, anyone else think that 10" seems a little on the large side?
  • Reply 22 of 202
    A.I./Kasper: Your sources said 1st Quarter of 2010. Apple's marketing year has its first quarter in October, doesn't it?

Reading the articles about Apple's quarterly financial reports (the last one was the 21st) there was repeated mention of Apple's 3rd Q results (through June). That would make 4th Q through September.

1st Q 2010 would then be October-December, making your sources tie with this report. Were your sources *explicitly clear* that it was CY2010, and not FY2010?

I'm just curious - I do take all of these with a grain of salt but there's an awful lot of smoke around this 10" device.
  • Reply 23 of 202
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

A.I./Kasper: Your sources said 1st Quarter of 2010. Apple's marketing year has its first quarter in October, doesn't it?

Reading the articles about Apple's quarterly financial reports (the last one was the 21st) there was repeated mention of Apple's 3rd Q results (through June). That would make 4th Q through September.

1st Q 2010 would then be October-December, making your sources tie with this report. Were your sources *explicitly clear* that it was CY2010, and not FY2010?

I'm just curious - I do take all of these with a grain of salt but there's an awful lot of smoke around this 10" device.

That is a very intriguing observation!
  • Reply 24 of 202
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Why does everything about an Apple product always has some kind of mystery. All these newspapers, magazines, analysts, rumor mills, and dick and harry, everyone claim to hear from unnamed sources.

It always, almost sound like the Jehovah Witnesses, screaming that Jesus is coming.

Better to ask why no other (that I know of) tech company generates this type of excitement. HP, DELL, MS --- no one. (Well maybe gaming machines...)

I think it is because Apple thinks outside of the box.
  • Reply 25 of 202
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    TBH there's no point believing this until it's out of Apple's mouth.

If you're an investor, however, this news/rumour gets more interesting and it's actually important to get to the bottom of it.

But I'm just a humble user, covered in AAPL-sauce.
  • Reply 26 of 202
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Better to ask why no other (that I know of) tech company generates this type of excitement. HP, DELL, MS --- no one. (Well maybe gaming machines...)

I think it is because Apple thinks outside of the box.

You got it.

Apple drives the industry. Apple is this industry's guiding light, in virtually all areas. They make products people actually want, and products you never knew you wanted.

Apple is associated with certain ideas (or ideals) in the public consciousness. That didn't happen by accident.
  • Reply 27 of 202
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    and everyone will scream because they'll have to get Verizon service to use it.

I still think a simpler device would plug in your 3GS phone as the processor and (network) 3G service.
  • Reply 28 of 202
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 786member
    Both a September and January CES intros have pros and cons.

I doubt there will be the word "Tablet" in the name. It's been done and it has failed in the past. Name your scene changing product Edsel or Pinto.
  • Reply 29 of 202
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

Very good observation. Might be worth messaging AI to see what they think, I don't think they read threads beyond the first few comments.
  • Reply 30 of 202
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Why does everything about an Apple product always has some kind of mystery. All these newspapers, magazines, analysts, rumor mills, and dick and harry, everyone claim to hear from unnamed sources.

It always, almost sound like the Jehovah Witnesses, screaming that Jesus is coming.

Good analogy!
  • Reply 31 of 202
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Both a September and January CES intros have pros and cons.

I doubt there will be the word "Tablet" in the name. It's been done and it has failed in the past. Name your scene changing product Edsel or Pinto.

As an Apple insider who does not want to be named,,,,,,,,, :-) .........

This Sept, you will see a 10 inch flat screen device. You take your iPod touch or iPhone and it slides into a slot in the side of the unit. The unit has a large touch screen, large battery and 3G-4G system. The cpu in the new 3GS provides the power and you have your "new computer".

One more thing........ if you down load movies into this device it can play them as a stand alone player.

Not a new system, just new ways of getting access to your material.

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 32 of 202
    Didn't Appleinsider post a lot of reasons why a tablet is more likely to run Snow Leopard than iPhone OS? I'd rather it run OSX, so its not so restricted. If iPhone and iPod Touch users are losing really innovative apps to Appstore Restrictions, why would you buy a full fledged (sort of, anyway) computer with those same software restrictions?
  • Reply 33 of 202
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

Didn't Appleinsider post a lot of reasons why a tablet is more likely to run Snow Leopard than iPhone OS? I'd rather it run OSX, so its not so restricted. If iPhone and iPod Touch users are losing really innovative apps to Appstore Restrictions, why would you buy a full fledged (sort of, anyway) computer with those same software restrictions?

My guess is that it will either incorporate both. Or be iPhone OS alone.
  • Reply 34 of 202
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    It is quite possible the "iTablet" may indeed revolutionize mobile computing. Something with 2x the screen size, faster multicore processing with video processors, higher battery life can be a big success. Personally, I would prefer BYO data plan via Wi-Fi, WiMax, EVDO, by having a slot for carrier card and built in antennas.

Just in education alone it is a huge market. As an example in Medical Schools, entire Anatomy, Neuro, Physiology, In color too with links to the internet. Clinical texts with color photos would be available to be downloaded or online. No more carrying sack full of heavy books to school, In the clinical practice, patient data like labs, radiology, and even real time telemetry would be available and easily read. The current iPhone screen is too small. 4X pixel density would be plus but probably too expensive. Even hi school, college education will change. Just look what Kindle is doing and that is a weak product.

The laptop is too heavy to carry around and battery life is poor especially in hi performance use. Most people do not want to lug a laptop. Even the MacBook Air is a brick to carry around. A 2x sized Tablet would fit in the coat pocket and easily carried around. It would be good if it could tethered via Blue Tooth or even WiFi to a phone plan.

I would not bet on Apple coming up with an Edsel.
  • Reply 35 of 202
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 786member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

This Sept, you will see a 10 inch flat screen device. You take your iPod touch or iPhone and it slides into a slot in the side of the unit. The unit has a large touch screen, large battery and 3G-4G system. The cpu in the new 3GS provides the power and you have your "new computer".

While that's an interesting concept, the docking station idea is one that has never really caught on. it's too complex to be an Apple idea, where simplicity is key. Docking stations, while useful for some, have VERY limited appeal to the broader market. Apple stopped making the Duo Docking station in 1995..

The iPad would have to be a single and at least 2X larger device than the iPod touch. A 6" or 7" screen, with a high pixel density, would be optimal, I think. Maybe they'd offer a larger screen later? If it's too big or heavy, I'd just carry my MBP.
  • Reply 36 of 202
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:

From the nytimes this past weekend in an article about artificial intelligence:

"'Something new has taken place in the past five to eight years,' Dr. Horvitz said. 'Technologists are replacing religion, and their ideas are resonating in some ways with the same idea of the Rapture.'"

• Reply 37 of 202
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstermac77 View Post

I believe the contract states that they are tied by voice communications. That's why most articles explicitly state that it's 3G data.

Will one be able access AT&T 3G's using their current iPhone contract? Or will it be more, separate, etc ?
  • Reply 38 of 202
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    An Apple tablet with WiFi would be worth my consideration. With WiFi and with or without 3G, if the data plan is optional, it would be worth my consideration.

If a data plan is mandatory, then I'll pass.
  • Reply 39 of 202
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

BTW, anyone else think that 10" seems a little on the large side?

As much as I've been looking forward to it, I have to admit I've had the same thought.

No doubt Apple has done tons of usability testing on it, but I'm trying to envision a comfortable use position for a 10" device.

If you multiply the weight of the iPhone by about 3 (which is what 10" seems to come out to) it feels a bit heavy to hold in one hand.

Laying flat on a table would seem to require that your eyes be pretty much right above it, which doesn't sound too ergonomic for the neck.

I can see bluetooth keyboard and some sort of built in stand, but at that point, what's the purpose? You just have a tiny desktop system.

I really am curious to see how they've approached this. Should be interesting.
  • Reply 40 of 202
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

As an Apple insider who does not want to be named,,,,,,,,, :-) .........

One more thing........ if you down load movies into this device it can play them as a stand alone player.

Not a new system, just new ways of getting access to your material.

Total bollocks. Horrible idea that couldn't even be engineered most likely. You know nothing about industrial design at all.