Apple pulling Google Voice-enabled iPhone apps

Comments

• Reply 61 of 141
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

What in the hell does this have to do with anything?

You're saying GV was pulled because Apple got tired of Google being an asshole? :P

I expect that from one who wants everything for nothing. As you said before, I gather a lot of things are out of your price range.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

ah the price for osx. It's no wonder they are posting profits seeing as how they are making a killing off their inflated pricing.

But that's my opinion. I'll take a laptop with equal or better hardware specs running vista or xp for much less any day.

• Reply 62 of 141
    fulldecentfulldecent Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wlow3 View Post

AT&T charged me for using AIM for iPhone ($.20 per text) and I was messaging/texting with an iPod touch, which also had AIM for iPhone installed (and didn't obviously get charged). They said it's an SMS app so they can do that even though AOL's own FAQ says it should be charged as data not an SMS transmission. Unfortunately it is impossible to find any support number or email for AOL (it's peer-to-peer community boards or nothing apparently) so I can't get AOL's position.

AT&T is rapacious so this article does not surprise me.

Chargeback.

Next problem...
  • Reply 63 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I had a neighbor friend who, when I was going to be flying out of the country, would ask if I would get him a carton of cigarettes, duty-free. No problem.

After a couple of times, he then asked if would I mind getting him a bottle of rum as well.

When he learned that I would be flying out weekly to Jamaica for the next 6 months, sure enough, he expected that I continue to fill his requests. When I hesitated, he simply said, "Hey, you are going there anyway, you don't smoke and you don't drink rum. And it doesn't cost you anything as you are writing off the travel expenses for business."

Well, I did it for a few trips, Then I discovered that he was selling the rum to his brothers, for a profit.

On my following return, he came over for his booty and I let him know that I didn't mind doing it for personal use as a friend?he understood the 'rum' part, "But what about my cigarettes?

To which I responded, "Sorry. But as a friend, I couldn't live with the thought of you getting cancer."

Needless to say, we are no longer 'friends'. Or neighbors.

By the way, when we moved out of the community, I learned that he had gotten his next door neighbor to let him share their internet connection via WiFi. For free. "After all, it didn't cost them anymore money to let him use it too."

P.S. Based on some of the comments here, does anybody here live on Clarkson Drive?

Google isn't just ripping off Apple, in my opinion some of the apps they provide are good reasons to buy an iPhone, spending money on Apple's product in the first place. You're saying Google is allowing people to have "something for nothing" by comparing this situation to some guy that was taking advantage of you? If cell carriers didn't make a killing off of SMS messages which cost almost nothing (aka they charged reasonable prices), not enough people would care about the alternative GV messages introduces. And from my understanding of GV, you're using ATT minutes anyway, for the iPhone at least. You're just using what you paid for in a different way.
  • Reply 64 of 141
    GV is not a VOIP app.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes because of all of those VoIP apps that Verizon has on it's phones.

• Reply 65 of 141
    jbleniojblenio Posts: 27member
    Well, I don't like what Apple and ATT have been doing. They are doing everything they can to keep user costs high. They are doing everything they can to stifle any opportunity for prices to come down. Of course, that's what businesses do, but I have to be honest; because what they are doing is very anti-competitive, and because all they care about is taking as much money out of my pocket as possible, I am starting to dislike Apple Computer and ATT.

They are doing many of the same things everyone has detested about Microsoft.

To me, Apple and ATT are squeezing everything out of the consumer with no care for the consumer's pocket books. Of course they don't care, I know. But, as someone who is cost conscious and looking to control my spending, at some point in the future, when a viable alternative is offered by another company, I will jump...with sour grapes knowing Apple and ATT care nothing about me, and that they squeezed me for as much as they could.
  • Reply 66 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Joikuspot + Nokia + iPhone = AT&T can suck a fat one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

LOL! I laughed upon seeing that.

Could you please elucidate for the rest of us?

Joikuspot? Nokia+iPhone?
  • Reply 67 of 141
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    I don't even know where to begin with this. Let me start here:

"the lag on even a 3G network is high enough that holding a regular conversation isn't really feasible, for example."

No, that's totally wrong. I jailbroke my iPhone and not only does Skype work well on 3G, but it works well on Edge. I was on my boat doing an Edge connection doing a conference call via Skype and had a great connection for about 2 hours. I know people in the city who swear they can't even get a regular call through AT&T without being dropped within 15 minutes.

As far as GV, which is different of course, for AT&T it's all upside. If I want to bypass AT&T for SMS, I'd use any number of free alternative web-based SMS services. AT&T, you have to compete here on offering better service...which when it comes to SMS, you actually do.

For other aspects of GV, the irony here is that it's going to be all about redirecting other lines to my iPhone.

All of this of course just makes jailbreaking far more attractive, and applies pressure for Apple to dump the exclusive relationship with AT&T.
  • Reply 68 of 141
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Google Voice isn't a VOIP service? Really? Really?

How is it they can afford to allow unlimited calls to anywhere in the US and Canada?

How does my voice get from point A to point B? Voice Over Magic?

It is only 'magic' for the simple minded.

RTFM or the FAQ.

You call your GV number and push 2 to dial an out. Enter the phone number and GV connects you to your party. So, you are making a local call. You pay for that local call, unless you plan allows otherwise. (My5, unlimited local, etc) VoIP is involved, but from the GV server to your party. Your call is a regular call to the GV service.

In essence, this is no different than using a calling card service.

Does GV offer VoIP services? Sure. SMS,
  • Reply 69 of 141
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

but greatly reduces the cost of outbound long-distance and messaging, all of which potentially deprive AT&T and eventually other carriers of possible extra revenue.

People are always complaining about being nickeled and dimed by AT&T, or any carrier for that matter, but that is just the way the phone business is. Like any other contractor, for example my landscaper, who billed me around $200 an hour for his crew to work on my yard. Sure he was only paying them around $45 an hour total, but they have trucks and equipment and insurance etc etc.

Same thing for AT&T. People seem to think that it doesn't cost them anywhere near .20 cents an SMS, it should be free, but AT&T needs to make money for expenses too.

I just wish we could simplify the way we get billed. Sure there may be some technical distinction between voice and data but that line is getting rather blurry. Pretty soon it is just going to be data for everything. Then AT&T can bill like Akamai, by the bandwidth used.
  • Reply 70 of 141
    Quote:

I had a neighbor friend who, when I was going to be flying out of the country, would ask if I would get him a carton of cigarettes, duty-free. No problem.

After a couple of times, he then asked if would I mind getting him a bottle of rum as well.

When he learned that I would be flying out weekly to Jamaica for the next 6 months, sure enough, he expected that I continue to fill his requests. When I hesitated, he simply said, "Hey, you are going there anyway, you don't smoke and you don't drink rum. And it doesn't cost you anything as you are writing off the travel expenses for business."

Well, I did it for a few trips, Then I discovered that he was selling the rum to his brothers, for a profit.

On my following return, he came over for his booty and I let him know that I didn't mind doing it for personal use as a friend?he understood the 'rum' part, "But what about my cigarettes?

To which I responded, "Sorry. But as a friend, I couldn't live with the thought of you getting cancer."

Needless to say, we are no longer 'friends'. Or neighbors.

By the way, when we moved out of the community, I learned that he had gotten his next door neighbor to let him share their internet connection via WiFi. For free. "After all, it didn't cost them anymore money to let him use it too."

P.S. Based on some of the comments here, does anybody here live on Clarkson Drive?

I'll be the second to ask, WTF does this amusing story have to do with the thread?

So, when Apple next bows to AT&T and blocks you from using calling cards on the iPhone, you will be OK with this (or Rogers in your case). How about if they keep you from using services like YAK, where you call a local number which routes your actual call through? These are legal and important services companies offer. it is called competition.

You must have been very disappointed when Bell couldn't keep out long distance (and local) competition in Canada. I imagine the same argument would hold true: "People that don't want to pay Bell are simply broke-ass cheap skates and should just shut up and pay Bell. they are simply trying to take advantage. It cost Bell money to create their phone network, people should only pay them"

An ignorant, arrogant, elitist argument to say the least.
  • Reply 71 of 141
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Does GV not use the internet to connect voice communications?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

GV is not a VOIP app.

• Reply 72 of 141
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I am baffled how Skype can be allowed but not GoogleVoice!

Apple owns the playground and they reserve the right not to serve some things, in the same way a GM dealer can refuse to service a ford
  • Reply 73 of 141
    I love Google Voice. Was a Grand Central user and continue to use GV extensively. It is my voicemail of choice for both my cell and home number. The service is great and even better when used with an iPhone (or iPod Touch) and an app such as Sean Kovac's GV Mobile . This might be a preemptive thing as Google is giving GV a lot more love and attention as of late.

Lord Acton said ?Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely." This quote comes to mind when I think of the App Store and Apple's behavior with regard to apps in a number of cases now. I have been trying to avoid jailbreaking as I assume many others have also but if this type of thing continues I won't think twice.
  • Reply 74 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Apple owns the playground and they reserve the right not to serve some things, in the same way a GM dealer can refuse to service a ford

Bad analogy. More like comcast telling you what webites you can visit or AT&T barring you from using a competing long distance provider. The second is exactly what they are doing here. Just that they are doing it by proxy through Apple.
  • Reply 75 of 141
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

Google isn't just ripping off Apple, in my opinion some of the apps they provide are good reasons to buy an iPhone, spending money on Apple's product in the first place. You're saying Google is allowing people to have "something for nothing" by comparing this situation to some guy that was taking advantage of you? If cell carriers didn't make a killing off of SMS messages which cost almost nothing (aka they charged reasonable prices), not enough people would care about the alternative GV messages introduces. And from my understanding of GV, you're using ATT minutes anyway, for the iPhone at least. You're just using what you paid for in a different way.

It must be nice to be born in an era when somebody else has paid the Piper to do and benefit from most of the things we do today.

And then to demand that everything connected to it be free or let somebody develop a vehicle so that freeloaders can sponge on the creativity and work of others.

As for, "?SMS messages which cost almost nothing?," perhaps you, as a IT genius, could illustrate how you could build the infrastructure to your for-free-designed system.

http://communication.howstuffworks.c...s_tutorial.htm

And just to make it quite clear, I would like to pay less for a lot of things. However, there are countries that thrive on copying the works of others. I would rather live here and realize that there is a cost for such freedom.

The idea that everybody is ripping everybody off and all the time, including Apple, suggests that perhaps relocation is better choice for a lot of the futures here.

As for GOOGLE, it must be nice to make money basically off the backs of others, and in particular, Apple.
  • Reply 76 of 141
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

Wow. Here's a gold star for you Extreme Apple Fanboy. Enjoy.

This is simply terrible news for consumers and iPhone fans and iPhone developers. Simply god awful terrible news.

w00master

Not at all fanboism. I use VoIP as my regular phone, and on poor internet connections, it is nearly unusable and highly frustrating for me and the person I'm trying to talk with. VoIP does not work well except with dedicated, low-hop configurations.
  • Reply 77 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Does GV not use the internet to connect voice communications?

From their servers to the party you are calling, yes. From your phone, no.

Even with the GV apps banned, you can still use the GV service. It means you have to manually dial the GV local number and then manually enter the number you want then to call for you. The GV apps simply streamlined this process. You could select a contact from with the app, it would call the GV local number and then connect to your contact.

This is just being a bully to remove LD competition...or at least make it far less convenient.
  • Reply 78 of 141
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

As for GOOGLE, it must be nice to make money basically off the backs of others, and in particular, Apple.

• Reply 79 of 141
    Quote:

You mean the way Apple is making money off of the music industry by using their media to sell more iPods? The way Apple is making money off of every web site in the world by providing users with a browser on the iPhone but not paying the website owners? See, these arguments are ridiculous.

Google is not making any money off of Apple through GV, any more than they are making it off of Dell (i.e. when you run GV web app on your PC) or off of Nortel when you use the GV call forwarding service from your landline.

One could argue they are making money off of AT&T, since AT&T is loosing their very lucrative long distance profits when people use GV. But, that was accepted by courts and the industry many years ago....carriers have to allow customers to use alternative LD providers, because otherwise the carriers will abuse their position and massively overcharge for their service. Just as the have been shown to do with SMS...but then you have already repeatedly stated your support for their abusive pricing of SMS.
  • Reply 80 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

He works(/ed) in the industry and has helped develop marketing for the very practices he is defending. Perceptions may be thusly skewed. Take with a gigantic grain of salt.