Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as September

Comments

• Reply 101 of 202
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Agreed. And I completely agree with the part I highlighted also, which is why I find the tablet news so confusing. A 10" screen would seem on the face of it to be a bad size for a device of this type, but it's unlikely Apple would make such a dumb mistake.

There is definitely something about the whole business that we don't know or can't see from the perspective of those not in the know about the device. Either it's not what we think it is, or it's multiple products, or there's some kind of magical UI or something. The facts just don't add up as it is right now.

I guess we will have to wait and see. Hopefully all these rumors do amount to something in the relatively near future.
  • Reply 102 of 202
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Where are you getting the dimensions from? You can't scale up the touch dimensions or you are going to have 2 inch+ bezels. Why would Apple do that?

You say the 7.5" screen would be alright. You could almost squeeze a device with a 10 inch screen into those dimensions (keeping the aspect ratio the same as that as the touch, a 10" screen would be 8.32" x 5.55"). Therefore, a device with a 10 inch screen with similar dimensions should be just fine by your standards, assuming that the longer dimension is what concerns you the most.

None of us have a clue what Apple is doing though.

I could get by with the 8.32 x 5.55 maybe. If you add a bit for the inevitable bezel and call it 8.5 x 6, it could be light enough and just small enough to thumb type on if you don't have tiny hands.
  • Reply 103 of 202
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I'd expect Apple to hold the tablet back for CES. Get some buzz when holiday sales wear off. Introduce it in September and every competitor has one at CES. Do it this way and Apple keeps the stage for their new CES presence.

It takes a company a good year to come out with a completely new product. If Apple has been working this for three years (at least) as reports have said, then it's very unlikely that someone can duplicate it by CES. And if some crummy device does come out, what would it be based upon? The same version of Windows tablet the others have been such a failure with.

It's not just hardware that made tablets a failure, though that's a big part of it. It's also the OS and programs.

Presumably, Apple has worked hard to overcome these problems.
  • Reply 104 of 202
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Your right. All the elements have to be just...right for the product to take off. And are of ALL the elements. Something tells me though that Steve Jobs has it right. He's been slaving away on this project and he seems to have been utterly meticulous abuot the details as he is with any project he takes seriously.

Let's hope so. I'm begining to wonder if two larger than Touch devices are coming.

Quote:

And about the air, I don't think it was blown. The first time I saw it I got the impression that it was an exploratory type of device so that certain technologies and form factors could be tested.

Exploratory devices belong in the lab not out on the sales floor. Let's face it AIR can barely manage thermally itself much less satisfy user needs for features.

Quote:

Now that all of that is done here comes the knock out blow from Apple.

Well we can hope so. I'm just a " I'll belive it when I see it" sort of guy. I'm just worried they will pull a big boner with the marketing of the device.

Quote:

EDIT: The one element that worries me the most though is how open this device will be. If it is more like a mac then you can install mostly the apps you want. But if it's only going to be draconian approved apps that take months to get approved if at all then it is going to be a problem. It may be ok for a cell phone but not for more of a personal computing device.

The openess issue is less of a worry for me. As long as I can get the apps I need or write my own I'll be happy. I'm not a massive consummer of apps anyways. The device will need multi tasking and a job scheduler though. It is a huge shortcoming on iPhone but I understand the logic somewhat.

For job scheduling here is an example, the device would be scheduled to download an entire paper every morning and likewise weekly and monthly publications. The web model is fine for certain news and events but falls flat for the limited circulation publications that need that subscription income. Which by the way means yes I hope Apple is working with publishers here. But there is more to job scheduling than that, any number of programs could benefit from periodic execution and a cron type facility ought to actually lower power demand for this sort of thing.

Likewise the device would need a scripting environment. I want them to skip bash though and go for python. Python would enable rapid adoption of the device for business and education as it is almost the ideal language for a platform in this power range.

In the end I can see evolving from iPhone OS and gaining more capability. It is better than evolving from Mac OS and loosing capability.

Dave
  • Reply 105 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

While that's an interesting concept, the docking station idea is one that has never really caught on. it's too complex to be an Apple idea, where simplicity is key. Docking stations, while useful for some, have VERY limited appeal to the broader market. Apple stopped making the Duo Docking station in 1995..

The iPad would have to be a single and at least 2X larger device than the iPod touch. A 6" or 7" screen, with a high pixel density, would be optimal, I think. Maybe they'd offer a larger screen later? If it's too big or heavy, I'd just carry my MBP.

A number of us have been calling for a device about the size you mention.

My thought has always been that if it can be worn on a belt, even if it's a bit big, like the old Newton, then people will always want to carry it with them.

But once they have to use a pouch with a shoulder strap, it becomes a nuisance. Then many people are going to be thinking before they leave their home; Do I want to carry this with me now? More and more, the answer will be no.

Perhaps women, who carry purses, wouldn't mind using a slightly bigger one, if they don't have a big enough one now, but men might not want to carry something extra like that.

But who knows? If this offers so much in a fairly lightweight (1.5 lbs, hopefully no more) package, people might change their habits.
  • Reply 106 of 202
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

I could get by with the 8.32 x 5.55 maybe. If you add a bit for the inevitable bezel and call it 8.5 x 6, it could be light enough and just small enough to thumb type on if you don't have tiny hands.

I think a lot of the worries are just due to the fact that 10" sounds really big. That extra digit really messes with peoples heads. There would be far fewer worries if the screen size was rumored to be 9". Luckily I have a pad of paper at my desk that is is 8.5" by 5.5" so it is like I'm staring at the smallest possible size of a potential 10" device. Personally I would be fine with it, but it would not be pocketable unless you had massive pockets.

People have in this thread have listed a lot of reasons why traditional tablets have failed in the past. But that is Apples specialty, take an existing concept and greatly improve on it. I have no doubt that they have surpassed the major hurdles.
  • Reply 107 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

As much as I've been looking forward to it, I have to admit I've had the same thought.

No doubt Apple has done tons of usability testing on it, but I'm trying to envision a comfortable use position for a 10" device.

If you multiply the weight of the iPhone by about 3 (which is what 10" seems to come out to) it feels a bit heavy to hold in one hand.

Laying flat on a table would seem to require that your eyes be pretty much right above it, which doesn't sound too ergonomic for the neck.

I can see bluetooth keyboard and some sort of built in stand, but at that point, what's the purpose? You just have a tiny desktop system.

I really am curious to see how they've approached this. Should be interesting.

I think the weight would have to be multiplied by five at least. Maybe as much as eight.

Remember that the current screen is only 3.5" diag. This would be 9.7". If you take four screens together, you only get 7" diag.

That's what I'd prefer, but a lot smaller than 9.7.

Depending on what they would do for a battery, we would see a large variation in the weight guesstimates.

I would like to see at least 10 hours internet use. 15 for reading books, magazines etc. over 10 hours for video. And at least 30 for music.

So I think we really need to talk specs.

What processor(s)? Graphics. I went through this in an early post here.

How much RAM for programs? Will this allow multitasking? How much main storage? What will it be, soldered Flash, or removable? External memory cards ala SD slot as we now see on the laptop line?

Any ports? USB 2, Mini Displayport? This begs for those.

If so, will be see HD video out? That's certainly possible with chips Apple will be using in the phone and Touch, how about here? What rez monitor or Tv? What would the rez of a 9.7" screen for this be? a mutiple of 480 x 320? That could be 2x at 960 x 640. Or to maintain the pixel density, 3x at 1440 x 960. Does that look familiar?

External drive storage via USB 2? Hey, what about a keyboard/mouse?

Network port? Maybe over USB 2 at least?

iPhone port? Hmm? That would be nice.
  • Reply 108 of 202
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Exploratory devices belong in the lab not out on the sales floor. Let's face it AIR can barely manage thermally itself much less satisfy user needs for features.

Dave

Not necessarily, just call them a hobby and you got yourself covered- a la AppleTV.

If ever there was an exploratory Apple device that went out on the sales floor before it's time - here you are.
  • Reply 109 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Apple has no need to dominate CES, so I would be very surprised if it hit then. The FY/CY Q1 issue is moot; the driver is to have a great christmas lineup so they can have a blowout christmas quarter. The March quarter will be hyped by something else; iPod sales are dipping to the point that they want to compensate.

I'm surprised, but I am starting to believe the tablet is a reality at 10" and will ship this year...

There is something that we can think about, though it may have nothing to do with this device.

Jobs was asked a couple of years ago if he would ever attend a CES.

His answer was that he would, if they didn't schedule it during Macworld.

Guess what? There is no more Macworld.

So there is a possibility that, if it isn't too late, and he feels strong enough to do it, that for the first time, he could deliver the keynote at CES rather than Gates or Ballmer.

You can bet your bippy that they would rather Jobs do that than either of the dynamic duo.
  • Reply 110 of 202
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

For the most part I agree with you, just for me personally I would have no interest in a tablet running a phone OS, even if iPhone OS is a very good one.

I don't think you understand what we are talking about here. The iPhone OS is the same as what is in Mac OS, it just has a different user API and security model. What we are saying is that it makes more sense to extend that model rather than to try to shoehorn Mac OS and all it's legacy APIs into the device.

Quote:

While not being the most restrictive OS in the world, it certainly doesn't give me the feeling (though admittedly, I've only used iPod Touches, I've never owned one) that "I can do whatever I want on this device", that typically owning any full fledged computer (Mac or PC) gives me.

Yes the OS on the current Touch devices is restrictive but that is done on purpose. For the most part it works really well given the limited hardware platform. The point is everyone is expecting the OS on the new device to be derived from that with the goal of addressing those limitations. It will likely pick up a lot of DNA from Snow Leopard too.

For example the new dock functionality could provide support for multitasking apps on the tablet. Especially a tablet that might not have extensive windowing support. Think about some of the SL dock demos and an OS that only allows on app at a time to own the screen. With a bit of time with a Touch device you discover that a crowded screen is not required for productivity. Yeah currently we are starting and stopping apps as we switch back and forth but it does take much to extend that to switching between active apps.

All I'm saying is think a little bit about how extending the current iPhone interface could lead to a better user experience on a Touch tablet.

By the way this doesn't include other features Apple could add to iPhone OS to make it a better tablet OS. Printing support is one example. The key here is that underneath you still have Apples implementation of BSD and a set of very similar user APIs. So porting should be no problem.

Quote:

But if people want it, they'll buy it!

Well most of us are in wait and see mode. The right combo of features and price would put me in buying mode though. The device certainly needs more features than what is in iPhone but not all of those features are in Mac OS anyways. Hopefully Apple has a good breeding program going and the best DNA from all it's ongoing projects will end up in the device.

Dave
  • Reply 111 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

The current IPod Touch has approximately an external diagonal of 5" (2.5"x4.5")and a screen diagonal of 3.5 inches. If the device size got tripled 10" the device would measure something like 7.5"x13.5". It could be 9x heavier. Too big to carry in a lab coat pocket. The aspect ratio of the pixels would be messed up and existing apps would not utilize the screen area optimally. The 50,000 apps is what would drive the demand for this kind of device in addition to other apps like electronic books, education and apps that need more processing power and display.

What would make sense would be for the device to double the area to 7" diagonal, use multiple core version of the low battery consumption chips from Samsung, may with a higher clock speed, video processors, etc. The virtual keyboard would have double the size keys and the device could easily be held with one hand. Easier to type with larger keys. Not the best way to type a long paper... any laptop or a desktop would be better. Bluetooth keyboard would be an option.

SJ is into details and I doubt he would design brick that is too heavy, or cumbersome to carry. He is not into duds anymore like into old days.

You've got your sizing wrong.

That's much too big.

A screen that's 1.5:1 is a bit over 8" inches long by about 5" high.

Think about that. It's really fairly small.

A device made with that screen could be as small as, with room for a button or two, if needed, like the phone, 9" x6".

That's pretty small.

It might just squeak in as a beltable device if it doesn't weigh to much.
  • Reply 112 of 202
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Not sure what you mean by that comment, but yes, since the very first day it was available to me I have had an iPhone. But that rather validates everything I said above (that you so cryptically responded to), not the reverse if that's indeed what you are thinking.

Well, I don't own an iphone .

I do own a 32g touch but it remains boxed.

I ask you this for a reason, because many people go on and on about some apple device for many days and many sleepless nights and then you see they don't even own it ......32 g

CONCERNING your iphone >>> you say very strongly that there is many silly apps but almost no top gun level type apps for the iphone.

But I thought there was some doctor /medical apps that can show real time HIGH QUALITY X-RAY pictures of sick/injured patients .

Look I don't have the full medical story .But I thought and I may be wrong but I thought there was a score or so of great doctor/nurse/EMS approved apps that have greatly helped them is many ways .

Word processing apps ?? Well, is there not a filemaker pro app and or a benito app or something ??Or M.Y.O.B APP ??

Seems like we can save lives with medical imaging but we can't do an apple works lick app ??

are you sure virgil ?

>>>>>>>>>

sorry for odd opening question >> Did not mean to offends you.

peace

• Reply 113 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

[I

Real production model might have a 'slight' bezel-size increase on both sides. But basically if the screen is 10.1", and I believe it will be, the device will be roughly this tall and wide. 14/15 mm thickness in the center, tapering outward slightly, with tough smooth rubber-ish grips on the rear right and left. And of course the oft-mentioned (by me) rear pop-out stand, for when at a desk for example.

Ireland, welcome back. I didn't see your outsized post before I responded about the size of the tablet.
  • Reply 114 of 202
    cicerocicero Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It always, almost sound like the Jehovah Witnesses, screaming that Jesus is coming.

He is, and He's bringing a mac tablet with Him!
  • Reply 115 of 202
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

*sigh* Sorry Spam. I'm afraid your going to be one of the ones left behind. The rocket ship is about to launch and escape the planet about to explode.

*SpamSandwich screams "WAIT!!" as ship leaves orbit*

......poor guy.

Rocket man plays in the back ground....
  • Reply 116 of 202
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Hmm? I don't get that.

He's sometimes tough to get.
  • Reply 117 of 202
    I know this has been debated ad nauseam as well, but given all this talk about a tablet and the potential for it to have 3G or 4G and that such a data plan has been rumored to be with Verizon - does anyone else find it interesting that today Verizon changed its position on free access to wi-fi hotspots for its FiOS and DSL customers? Coincidence? Or strategery?
  • Reply 118 of 202
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Perhaps women, who carry purses, wouldn't mind using a slightly bigger one, if they don't have a big enough one now, but men might not want to carry something extra like that.

Or soon, we may have to start carrying purses too.... how embarrassing!
  • Reply 119 of 202
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 786member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Where are you getting the dimensions from? You can't scale up the touch dimensions or you are going to have 2 inch+ bezels. Why would Apple do that?

You say the 7.5" screen would be alright. You could almost squeeze a device with a 10 inch screen into those dimensions (keeping the aspect ratio the same as that as the touch, a 10" screen would be 8.32" x 5.55"). Therefore, a device with a 10 inch screen with similar dimensions should be just fine by your standards, assuming that the longer dimension is what concerns you the most.

None of us have a clue what Apple is doing though.

I was just playing around and quickly scaling up based on screen size.

I'm not getting paid for design development here!

Sure the bezels would be narrower... we would hope. But look at the MacBook Air! I HATE that bezel, it's WAAAAAY too wide.
  • Reply 120 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Ex Let's face it AIR can barely manage thermally itself much less satisfy user needs for features.

I've read that it's very popular amongst business travelers.