Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as September

Comments

• Reply 121 of 202
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Or soon, we may have to start carrying purses too.... how embarrassing!

Well, there are "purses" for men. For a while in the late '90's, I had a tummy pack, because I needed some medicine for a couple of years (strangely enough, for my tummy), and I could carry film and stuff without needing something off my shoulder.

I suppose a few inches taller and wider, and It would have worked as well.
  • Reply 122 of 202
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    If this device will have 3G/4G access, the speculation that Verizon might be the carrier for this device makes no sense. Does Apple really think people who own an iPhone with a 2-year contract are going to want to sign up for another multi-year contract with a different provider for this device? That seems nuts. No way would I go for that no matter how fabulous the device is.

Perhaps Apple will be announcing that the iPhone and iTablet (or whatever it will be called) will be available from both AT&T and Verizon by then. Then it would make sense. Get your iPhone and iTablet service from one company or the other.
  • Reply 123 of 202
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Hmm? I don't get that.

He's saying he never forgets.
  • Reply 124 of 202
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

If this device will have 3G/4G access, the speculation that Verizon might be the carrier for this device makes no sense. Does Apple really think people who own an iPhone with a 2-year contract are going to want to sign up for another multi-year contract with a different provider for this device? That seems nuts. No way would I go for that no matter how fabulous the device is.

Perhaps Apple will be announcing that the iPhone and iTablet (or whatever it will be called) will be available from both AT&T and Verizon by then. Then it would make sense. Get your iPhone and iTablet service from one company or the other.

Tethering?

Given that tethering is free for me with Rogers/Fido that is what I would want. I know AT&T plans to charge for tethering, but if they even offered that, you could still have a tablet with internet on AT&T. Maybe they would provide a lower cost, unsubsidized version without the 3G/4G chip like the iPod touch.

Giving the tablet to Verizon would open up Apple products to even more of the US market.

I don't think Apple is very happy with AT&T anymore, and I don't think they would want to give them even more exclusive business.
  • Reply 125 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

*sigh* Sorry Spam. I'm afraid your going to be one of the ones left behind. The rocket ship is about to launch and escape the planet about to explode.

*SpamSandwich screams "WAIT!!" as ship leaves orbit*

......poor guy.

I would be quite happy if Apple were able to introduce another world-beating device that would sell like hotcakes. IMO, it's too early to introduce something like the rumored tablet. There is no pent-up consumer demand for it... yet. As usual, Apple waits for a market to become firmly established, with a clear demand from consumers before they swoop in with a superior technology and system for information delivery and commerce. The Kindle and all of the other e-ink based displays are in their infancy, just like AppleTV is still in it's infancy. The AppleTV was also a product ahead of its time and has languished thanks to that timing. The iPhone arrived at exactly the right time.
  • Reply 126 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You need to look into the SDK a bit as there is more to apps than pictures. You have heard of quartz haven't you. For that matter you have read about finding the screen resolution in the SDK. Frankly pictures have little to do with apps and even if important can either be scaled or supplied in different resolutions.

So open up the SDK documentation and if nothing else look at the examples.

Dave

Yes, Quartz is part of the SDK. Graphics play a large part in app development. PNG is a flexible, but resolution dependent format. If one is creating non-3D character animation, animated PNG files are likely involved. I'm probably more disappointed than most that they haven't found a way to take advantage of SVG or Adobe Illustrator-style vector graphics in a way that makes sense for the iPhone.
  • Reply 127 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I would be quite happy if Apple were able to introduce another world-beating device that would sell like hotcakes. IMO, it's too early to introduce something like the rumored tablet. There is no pent-up consumer demand for it... yet. As usual, Apple waits for a market to become firmly established, with a clear demand from consumers before they swoop in with a superior technology and system for information delivery and commerce. The Kindle and all of the other e-ink based displays are in their infancy, just like AppleTV is still in it's infancy. The AppleTV was also a product ahead of its time and has languished thanks to that timing. The iPhone arrived at exactly the right time.

The Apple TV has languished due to its relatively high buy in cost/limited (less than expected) functionality. An Apple announcement of a tablet would create all the demand it needed, provided they have overcome the problems that have plagued other tablets.
  • Reply 128 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've read that for some time, Apple has told developers not to do that, but to write with the assumption that the rez may change. True or not, I don't know.

Not in the Human Interface guidelines that Apple provides.

Quote:

But most apps wouldn't have a difficult time of it, and the rest could get updates over a short time.

There would be a lot that would have to be changed to port an iPhone app to a larger device.

BTW, you used to do some programming, right? Have you gotten a copy of the SDK? It's interesting stuff. I never realized what a trial it is to create an app. \ For those new to X-Code, it is a real brain-melter.
  • Reply 129 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The Apple TV has languished due to its relatively high buy in cost/limited (less than expected) functionality.

Yes, timing is everything. The demand for recordable TV/computer hybrid products is much smaller than the demand for simple TV recorders/DVD players. The digital programming delivery model is still nascent.

Quote:

An Apple announcement of a tablet would create all the demand it needed, provided they have overcome the problems that have plagued other tablets.

I just don't agree with this assessment. Demand does not yet exist. Kindle is breaking the ground for future products from Apple and others. iTunes has established a method of delivering digital content that already had huge demand, even though it was "illegal" trade. Competition for the Kindle is the iPhone, magazines, newspapers, and portable computers.
  • Reply 130 of 202
    mi_satmi_sat Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Apple thinks outside of the box.

= My vote for the dumbest -- and most overused -- business cliche.
  • Reply 131 of 202
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Tethering?

So I'd have to attach my iPhone to my iTablet to get Inernet access? Sounds kludgey to me and defeats the purpose of having 3G/WiFi build into the tablet.

Hopefully it means that Apple is taking away exclusivity from AT&T and adding Verizon to the mix. That would make more sense being that AT&T has dropped the ball with their inability to provide MMS and tethering services since 3.0 was released. AT&T has become like IBM with the PowerPC chip - Apple got sick of waiting for them to improve it and moved on to Intel.
  • Reply 132 of 202
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    Any chance that this will NOT be a big iphone/ipod touch and instead be a small (footless) iMac?
  • Reply 133 of 202
    Quote:

Not in the Human Interface guidelines that Apple provides.

Maybe not officially.

Quote:

There would be a lot that would have to be changed to port an iPhone app to a larger device.

BTW, you used to do some programming, right? Have you gotten a copy of the SDK? It's interesting stuff. I never realized what a trial it is to create an app. \ For those new to X-Code, it is a real brain-melter.

It's not necessarily that different. Just the graphical part. And it could be rezzed up with the same graphic elements that were used before, just at higher rez, and sized a bit differently, according to the new guidelines Apple would have for the device. If the aspect ratio is the same, I see no problem at all.

I used to program in Fortran and Forth.

I keep meaning to get on the developer program, But I don't have the time to do much playing around with it, though my wife says I should take a shot at it. I would have to start from scratch almost, as I've never worked with "c".
  • Reply 134 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

So I'd have to attach my iPhone to my iTablet to get Inernet access? Sounds kludgey to me and defeats the purpose of having 3G/WiFi build into the tablet.

Hopefully it means that Apple is taking away exclusivity from AT&T and adding Verizon to the mix. That would make more sense being that AT&T has dropped the ball with their inability to provide MMS and tethering services since 3.0 was released. AT&T has become like IBM with the PowerPC chip - Apple got sick of waiting for them to improve it and moved on to Intel.

Tethering can be done through bluetooth, so your iPhone can stay in your pocket. If you have two separate 3G devices, they will be required to have two separate 3G plans, even if they are both from AT&T. Tethering would allow for you to use multiple devices on one plan, although if companies are like AT&T they will still charge you for it (although perhaps at a lesser cost than an entire new plan).

As I said before, I get free tethering with Rogers/Fido. Why would I want to pay $60 a month for internet on 2 devices if I could pay $30 instead, and have the option of sharing the internet with my laptop too?

In my previous post, I specifically mentioned a 3G free tablet. They did it with the iPod touch, why not with the tablet too? Some people will not want to pay a monthly plan, and iPhone users shouldn't want to pay two monthly plans. It makes a lot of sense to make such a tablet, and to allow tethering.

Now I don't like carrier exclusivity, however it wouldn't be the end of the world for iPhone users on AT&T if Verizon got exclusivity on a 3G/4G tablet if tethering was permitted, and you could buy a lower cost 3Gless version.
  • Reply 135 of 202
    Quote:

Yes, timing is everything. The demand for recordable TV/computer hybrid products is much smaller than the demand for simple TV recorders/DVD players. The digital programming delivery model is still nascent.

I just don't agree with this assessment. Demand does not yet exist. Kindle is breaking the ground for future products from Apple and others. iTunes has established a method of delivering digital content that already had huge demand, even though it was "illegal" trade. Competition for the Kindle is the iPhone, magazines, newspapers, and portable computers.

Unless Amazon does something special with the Kindle in later models, and Plastic Logic does the same,

http://plasticlogic.com/

I see these as technological dead ends.

I completely agree with this, and I've been saying it from the beginning (about the Kindle):

Quote:

This is the first device that caters to digital readers on the go. Amazon’s (AMZN) black and white Kindle was such a poor attempt that it’s not even worth analyzing. Same goes for the netbook fad.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1511...agship-product
  • Reply 136 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I used to program in Fortran and Forth.

I keep meaning to get on the developer program, But I don't have the time to do much playing around with it, though my wife says I should take a shot at it. I would have to start from scratch almost, as I've never worked with "c".

You may be better suited to app development than me... I last programmed in Apple Pascal! ...and not very well, either!

Whatever app ideas you have though, you should give it a try. I'm working with a small team of 3 and it is sheer hell trying to get through the manuals and coordinate things... and 2 of the other team members are already programmers!
  • Reply 137 of 202
    Quote:

You may be better suited to app development than me... I last programmed in Apple Pascal! ...and not very well, either!

Whatever app ideas you have though, you should give it a try. I'm working with a small team of 3 and it is sheer hell trying to get through the manuals and coordinate things... and 2 of the other team members are already programmers!

I have program ideas. I'm just not sure I want to get down and play in the dirt anymore.
  • Reply 138 of 202
    I think AI wants the tablet more than anyone because it keeps making up rumors about it. Did I say "making up", I mean fabricate!
  • Reply 139 of 202
    Quote:

I don't really consider the kindle to be Apples competition, nor do I expect a lot of demand for the tablet to come from the ebook reader area. It could kill the kindle, but you are right there is no significant market to gain there yet. Adding an ebook store to itunes could help maintain demand for this device further down the road though.

Love them or hate them, netbooks are selling, and I would expect people to pick this device up as an alternative. If Apple does get these things subsidized through a carrier, they could have very similar price to unsubsidized netbooks. Since most people only look at the initial purchase price, that shouldn't be a problem, this tablet will be viewed by the population as cheap as a netbook, but with much more to offer.

The other major source would be the personal media player market, which is very well established, and Apple dominates there. Some people would get it just to have video on a larger screen.

If this has decent note taking capabilities it could be a hit with students too. Which was where tablets should have taken off if they were done right in the first place.

Personally, I see variety of sources for Apple to draw from and I do think an announcement will be enough to drum up demand for the device, just look at how many pages of comments this rumor is generating (high, even for an Apple centric site).

If Apple does this right, in a few years Apple haters will be saying that Apple didn't invent the tablet, just like now they are saying that Apple didn't invent the mp3 player. Apple has spent years on this, and they've been able to analyze countless examples of why previous tablets have failed. I think the time is right for them to reinvent the tablet.
  • Reply 140 of 202
    l255jl255j Posts: 57member
    I'm sure they could totally put a full version of Snow Leopard on it, only slightly modified to have bigger objects since one's finger is bigger than the virtual mouse pointers of today.