Any Web developers want to help finish mobile AppleInsider optimized for iPhone?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Good job nvid!

Thread comments are difficult to read though. Formatting.

Thanks... Yeah, that's where I hit the wall.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Hey guys, I'm not a developer but this is an excellent idea. I just checked out the web app link and it looks great. Keep working on this! I wish I could help.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shutterrelease View Post

Hey guys, I'm not a developer but this is an excellent idea. I just checked out the web app link and it looks great. Keep working on this! I wish I could help.

Good attitude
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Good attitude

Yep Mr. Good Attitude.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Hi Kasper, I sent you an email...
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Hi guys, my iPhone AppleInsider Forums prototype is experiencing server problems, so

http://flame.macsquad.net

may not be accessible for next several hours. (It's a free hosting provider [110mb.com])
  • Reply 27 of 56
    OK flame.macsquad.net (enter this into your iPhone Safari) is back up now.

Any news on the official mobile version of AppleInsider??
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Here's a shortcut on "nvidia2008's" web site! See appleinsidermobile.com!
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Okay, I am really confused. What happened to "the real internet - on your phone!"? I thought the iPhone was above all that mobile optimized nonsense from the dark ages?
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

Okay, I am really confused. What happened to "the real internet - on your phone!"? I thought the iPhone was above all that mobile optimized nonsense from the dark ages?

Sometimes, reality sucks.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imike310 View Post

Here's a shortcut on "nvidia2008's" web site! See appleinsidermobile.com!

Interesting.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Really nice work, nvidia2008.

How's the new gig going? Have you given up development on this now, or will Flame Research still live on?
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Really nice work, nvidia2008.

How's the new gig going? Have you given up development on this now, or will Flame Research still live on?

Thanks...!

I'm doing some Mac-related consulting stuff. For you know, the day job.

I haven't touched much of the code since July-August 2008. Just a few tweaks here and there once every few months when quotes were showing up weird and stuff.

I've stopped development, until a point in which I can form better partnerships with delivering web forums that come with great iPhone-compatibility "built-in".

Flame Research is an idea I came up with, but not registering a company or anything yet.

Finished off a Flash-PHP thingy recently. It's like a Flash-based product-viewer driven off a simple PHP-MySQL.

Now thinking about the next project. In the current environment "venture capital" or even microfinancing (from boss/ investor/ friends/ parents) for projects isn't that easy to come by.

As I mentioned above, I think the business model I would go for is possibly turnkey Forum website solutions which feature great iPhone compatibility... Or, more tricky, an iPhone App that easily interfaces with Forum websites.

The latter is challenging because unless you have access to the Forum maintainers themselves, there's a heck of a lot of parsing of HTML to get the right content to display on the iPhone.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more iPhone Apps to do with reading Forums. We've got eBooks, tons of Newsreaders, custom News apps, Twitter, but not the good ol' Forums. AFAIK.

Again, back to the funding side, if times were better perhaps I could string together some coders, get some investors, and work on it, even part-time. The prototype is far from perfect, but demonstrates viewing Forums easily. Quick, easy replies would be the next stage of course.

*Probably the hybrid solution makes the most sense. Group together iPhone App Developer, Web Coder, Interface Dude/Dudette and I am the "Idea Guy". Each Forum website (our customer), once paying for product/services or agreeing to revenue share, offers both an iPhone-compatible Forum (there's modified vBulletin templates and such ilk), and to the more dedicated Forum reader, a dedicated Forum App.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Now, I have to return to my day job. Seriously though, having to focus on the day job mostly during this trying times.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Hi all, thanks for the journey and the feedback on the prototype, that was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_QLGhXu_wY

For various reasons, I will be taking down http://flame.macsquad.net / http://flame-research.110mb.com

All the best to iPhone developers out there...! And it would be cool to see forums and forum interfaces work out well on the iPhone, netbook and mobile Internet devices. Twitter is alright but forums still play a role in today's Internet and will continue to play a role over many years, particularly as they are indexed by search engines and are useful for troubleshooting, archived news, comments etc. etc.that Twitter and so on does not provide.

Thanks to Kasper and AppleInsider for "closing one eye" and not blocking me from using (page scrape) data off the AppleInsider website.

Remember, great work continues to be done on iUi http://code.google.com/p/iui/ which is very useful for rapid prototyping/ rollout of iPhone web apps with a "native app" look and feel. Check out iUi if you can.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    I'll try. We could call it Appleinsider Lite!
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A web app, right?

What Kasper means is like m.digg.com and m.cnn.com as well as iphone.foxnews.com and so on :P

Great example for all iPhone websites: http://www.cssiphone.com/

I think m.appleinsider.com is better than mobile.macrumors.com b/c it's too long! :P Macrumors should've went m.macrumors.com instead!
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

What Kasper means is like m.digg.com and m.cnn.com as well as iphone.foxnews.com and so on :P

Great example for all iPhone websites: http://www.cssiphone.com/

I think m.appleinsider.com is better than mobile.macrumors.com b/c it's too long! :P Macrumors should've went m.macrumors.com instead!

www.m.appleinsider.com sounds good!
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Theres no need for a mobile site.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btitusjr View Post

Theres no need for a mobile site.

Actually, AI just launched the mobile version (not sure when that happened). It turned out to be a lot nicer than MacRumors' version

iphone.appleinsider.com is the correct address and it'd be nice if it was m.appleinsider.com or i.appleinsider.com