iPhone not being accepting of new update

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Every time i try to install the latest software version (2.2.1) it starts to download for a few minutes, maybe 20-3o of the 246 MB update, and it stops and I get a message, Network has timed out! check network settings etc... Anybody have a clue about this?! thanks! I have a new unibody macbook that has hitherto been flawless...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    What type of net connection do you use?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    a home wireless network, router
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I got this problem to. I hope Apple fixes it but there is a way to get around it. Usually (for me, i don't know about others) right before the Network Timeout the download would stay at the same length. Right before the download stops, pause it for about 5 seconds and restart it and it should start downloading the rest. It took a while for me to figure that work around out but hopefully it helps you.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    You can download the file directly from Apple via the links here.

Make sure you get the file for the correct model. When it downloads, Safari saves it ending in ".ipsw.zip". Take off the .zip extension and leave .ipsw. DO NOT TRY TO EXTRACT IT.

Then, hold option while you click the restore button, and select the ipsw file.

One more thing to check when you're having download problems, is look in the iTunes Library folder for a "Downloads" folder, and delete any files ending in .tmp. this article talks about it in reference to videos, but the point is the same.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hankx32 View Post

Every time i try to install the latest software version (2.2.1) it starts to download for a few minutes, maybe 20-3o of the 246 MB update, and it stops and I get a message, Network has timed out! check network settings etc... Anybody have a clue about this?! thanks! I have a new unibody macbook that has hitherto been flawless...

Geez. This is wierd. Try downloading a lower software, then try upgrading again. Hopefully it works. Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with your Macbook.