8 Killed in Car Crash

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/27/ny...er=rss&emc=rss

Add two american minivans with their crappy handling and subpar safety design to 1 very stupid driver and the result is 8 dead.

That is why my next car will be a BMW. Probably the safest car in the world and the most fun to drive too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I too enjoy German cars. I had a Benz and now an Acura and will go back to German after this one is paid off.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    When I was a kid, my family had a Volvo that was in several accidents (rear-ended five times, hit from the side twice, always the other driver's fault). Six of the offending cars, including a Benz and a small truck, were totaled. Only one drove away from the accident: another Volvo.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

When I was a kid, my family had a Volvo that was in several accidents (rear-ended five times, hit from the side twice, always the other driver's fault). Six of the offending cars, including a Benz and a small truck, were totaled. Only one drove away from the accident: another Volvo.

Good lord, did your Volvo come with a target on it? I think I've been (lightly) rear ended once in a fairly long driving career, and most of that in a dense urban area.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/27/ny...er=rss&emc=rss

Add two american minivans with their crappy handling and subpar safety design to 1 very stupid driver and the result is 8 dead.

That is why my next car will be a BMW. Probably the safest car in the world and the most fun to drive too.

This thread is a non sequitur. Someone goes the wrong way on the highway in car, fails to realize the mistake and stop, cause an accident and this is the proof needed to swear off american cars and only buy german?

Do german cars keep people from going the wrong way on the highway and failing to notice it?
  • Reply 5 of 48
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Good lord, did your Volvo come with a target on it? I think I've been (lightly) rear ended once in a fairly long driving career, and most of that in a dense urban area.

I often wondered the same thing, or whether I was born in Bumper Car Town USA or the car was a character in Wacky Races, or whether the "official" (ie, from the parents) version of the car's history was completely accurate. Glad to say that since I personally have been driving, not a single accident of any kind in over 20 years. Then again, I no longer live where I grew up... If I ever go back to visit, I plan to rent a Hummer.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

This thread is a non sequitur. Someone goes the wrong way on the highway in car, fails to realize the mistake and stop, cause an accident and this is the proof needed to swear off american cars and only buy german?

Do german cars keep people from going the wrong way on the highway and failing to notice it?

Nope. But the opposite is true: smart people, the ones who don't go the wrong way, don't buy american cars.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Just realized, this thread should be in AppleOutsider.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    You're an idiot, Tauron.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

You're an idiot, Tauron.

Nope I am not because I have a japanese car. You, on the other hand, probably owns an american car.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    1) This belongs in Apple outsider, not general discussion.

2) Get a blog for you're anti-Microsoft/America vendettas.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

Nope I am not because I have a japanese car. You, on the other hand, probably owns an american car.

Oh, I get it. You're just a troll.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la rise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradcapo2 View Post

Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

You are welcome. So to summarize, in the future:

1. Buy japanese or german.

2. Drive in the correct lane.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Volvos are great cars. I got the C30 coupe 2 years ago and love it! With so many idiots on the road with hummers and massive SUVs, I wanted a small car with great mileage that was solid and safe, and the Volvo C30 fit the bill!
  • Reply 15 of 48
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    You're so stupid, Tauron, you even reply to spammers.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Volvos are great cars. I got the C30 coupe 2 years ago and love it! With so many idiots on the road with hummers and massive SUVs, I wanted a small car with great mileage that was solid and safe, and the Volvo C30 fit the bill!

Part of the reason that Volvo has a reputation for safety is the time they beefed up their car's structures just for the ads they made a couple decades ago. By the time they were required to stop making those ads, people already got the safety "message", which was at least a partial fabrication. They're safe, but part of that reputation as being so much safer is a little undeserved.

Quote:

Nope. But the opposite is true: smart people, the ones who don't go the wrong way, don't buy american cars.

A smart person would be able to spot your string of logical fallacies. That's kind of like saying a Benz would survive a stomping by T-Rex a lot better. Most people don't go the wrong way, regardless of car brand. You would also have to show that a non-US brand car would fare better, and that Toyota drivers never make the same mistake. Germany and Japan don't have unobtanium.

Looking at the crash test ratings, Toyota even has a model with "only" 4 star ratings. Most minivans have 5 star ratings these days.

Also, you've posted this in the wrong forum. I'd think a supposed smart person would know where this thread is supposed to go in the first place.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Of course Volvo is owned by Ford these days I've heard the quality has dropped in Volvos.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Part of the reason that Volvo has a reputation for safety is the time they beefed up their car's structures just for the ads they made a couple decades ago. By the time they were required to stop making those ads, people already got the safety "message", which was at least a partial fabrication. They're safe, but part of that reputation as being so much safer is a little undeserved.

A smart person would be able to spot your string of logical fallacies. That's kind of like saying a Benz would survive a stomping by T-Rex a lot better. Most people don't go the wrong way, regardless of car brand. You would also have to show that a non-US brand car would fare better, and that Toyota drivers never make the same mistake. Germany and Japan don't have unobtanium.

Looking at the crash test ratings, Toyota even has a model with "only" 4 star ratings. Most minivans have 5 star ratings these days.

Also, you've posted this in the wrong forum. I'd think a supposed smart person would know where this thread is supposed to go in the first place.

Smart people are much less likely to buy american because they are used to thinking about their purchasing decisions in a logical way. They ask themselves, what is the best value for my money?

If you try to answer that question well and you have a good understanding of automotive engineering you will come to the conclusion that american cars are terrible value for the money. So how can anybody buy american? Well they are the same people who buy PCs and vote Republican. Some of them are intelligent, sure, but they are the minority. They arrived at a bad choice for lack of caring.

You seem to be part of the gullible group. The reason being you seem to believe that car safety is dictated by crash test ratings where this is only part of a much larger equation. The other part is the ability the car gives you to avoid the crash in the first place. Things like good driver visibility, good handling including road feedback, neutrality of balance, good linear breaking power and feel, agility, etc.

If you take all of those into account you will realize that american cars are actually pretty unsafe. They handle like crap, especially a minivan which, if american, wobble uncontrollably even at low speeds, has no grip, power or breaking, etc etc. Only a dimwit would buy american, and I know a lot of people who own them and they are all dimwits.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    German cars are a waste of money. They are over priced and BMWs are the Ultimate Asshole Machines. My father's BMW was a clunker.

Hondas and Toyotas are the way to go. Be like me, I vote Republican, own one Honda Civic for my family, ride my 50MPG motorcycle to work (0-60 in 4 seconds), and use a Mac.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

You seem to be implying that people who buy American cars are stupid, no? Keep your opinion to yoursslef, dude. No one is going to stop buying American cars because you say so in a forum post. Get real.