Apple's much-anticipated tablet device coming early next year

Comments

• Reply 261 of 332
    netlolanetlola Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordjeremias View Post

what about a stylo? haven't seen no one talk about the need for a stylo until now!

for me the only attractive to a tablet pc is the ability to use it as a writing paper. the "virtual keyboar is no substitute to the actual ability to write, draw and do math with a stylo/pen!

i don't see no use for this intermediate device if it doesn't provide anything else much different from an iphone/ipod touch on one side and the macbook on the other. i wnat a "drawing book", a math book, a lecture with graph note taking book, and also the ability of bein connectec, mail, music bla bla bla of the iphone. if it doesn't give me that i'll either stay with an iphone/ipodtouch and do the basics or take the macbook for serious work.

but by the way, does this new has any actual truth/real source ???...

I'm just going to jump in here....see the Patent filed by Apple for inking in "Pen-aware computer systems"- (USPTO) NOTE: apologies to Apple et al, if I am posting about this, but it IS a public document:

http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=...iew+first+page

There are references to a "Pen driver, "Tablet specific driver", "ink manager", "handwriting recognition manager".......etc. Be sure to click on directionals that will take you to all 16 pages of this Patent Filing registered on July 21st 2009.
  • Reply 262 of 332
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Beautiful rendering, TacoJohn. How about some sort of flipped-able camera built into the top edge so that we can do iChat/Skype as well as take quick snaps!
  • Reply 263 of 332
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    I like your vision on this device. My wife and I are conjuring up our own personal list.
  • Reply 264 of 332
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Yeah, this here bandwagon is starting to get a bit crowded as of late...
  • Reply 265 of 332
    naman34naman34 Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

there are two schools of thought here - either the iTab is an enlarged touch that runs apps on the iPhone OS, or a smaller MacBook that runs applications on the desktop OS, adapted to touch screen UI.

the track pad/keyboard UI of the MacBook could be converted into a touch screen UI logically. but the human finger is just not as precise a pointer as a cursor, nor are we all well coordinated. it is even harder to do precisely with something your are holding or when in motion. and applications often require fairly precise location of the cursor. so in practice you would have to zoom the screen bigger and then smaller, etc., an awful lot.

bear in mind all the prime Apple applications would have to work well to meet Jobs' high standards. not just iTunes and Safari, but also the entire iLife and iWorks suites. their UI includes a lot of smaller things. so unless Apple revised them quite a bit, they would be inconvenient to use much on an iTab in their standard format with many controls, menus, etc.

this would also be true for all third party applications. and how many of them would be revised to touch friendly for a unique isolated Mac product UI with an installed base of -0-? for a long time, very very few.

whereas, for the iPhone Apple specifically has scaled down and simplified Safari and iTunes to be limited function touch-friendly apps - just the most important stuff from each. Apple could also do the same with the iLife and iWork suites, which would then really work well on the bigger 10" touch screen display.

and of course a huge variety of thousands of third party apps already exist today that could run on it, since the installed base of that UI is now 45 million and growing rapidly.

as for the keyboard, in either case it is less than ideal. i think we all will just learn to type with one hand. the iPhone made it clear Apple does NOT design its mobile products around the keyboard, but around the UI instead.

the above clearly tells me the new iTab will not be a shrunken laptop, but rather a super Touch. just for myself, i would not buy a mini-laptop version - if i want to run full sized applications then i want to run them in the way they were designed to work well - so i'd have to buy a MacBook.

but i would buy a super Touch, for all the apps, the media, the mobile convenience. and i hate trying to use a clamshell laptop scrunched up in coach for hours - the ergonomics are terrible and i can't open the lid all the way for the best viewing angle. but the ergonomics and view of a tablet would be dramatically better.

Well, all I want to say is, I'm amazed. You're the only person, who wants a big ipod touch instead of a macbook tablet. But let me tell you that not a lot of people share your view, and I'm sure apple won't just release a big ipod touch. It'll be a failure that way. It has to be something that can do almost everything (if not everything) that a netbook can do and more, and also in a much much more enjoyable way (I didn't say easier, no keyboard!)

You are being too pessimistic. Ofcourse all the apps need to be developed to work well with touch. But its not as big a project as you think it is. The underlying software is ready any way. They just need to redesign the UI to work well with touch and it done. Make the buttons bigger, strip down some less required featured and you're done. Apple has a knack of surprising people this way. Remember when they announced their switch to intel, and told how OS X had been compatible for 5 years....

If they could do something like that. and keep it hidden for 5 years. Its totally possible that they have touch friendly versions of their software ready, for the release of the device. Also, you should remember, that this device has been in the making for a long long time. They've been waiting cuz they dont want it to fail like newton. The idea for the iphone came from this device. The touch controls were originally developed for this tablet.

When it comes out, if it ever does, it'll be the most amazing thing to hit the market!
  • Reply 266 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esque View Post

I'm going to go with this. I think a larger iPhone screen doesn't make sense considering an unsubsidized iPhone costs 699 and this is supposed to cost 800 with more power, memory, screen size and function.

Actually the unsubsidised iphone cost $435 now. That's how much AT&T pays apple per device. OK that is for bulk orders, so can stretch it to $500 at most.

For 300 extra dollars, you get a bigger screen, but also a much bigger box to put in the power. So its pretty possible for $800.

Also, intel is launching new chips in september, and the price of all the existing chips is bound to fall. It's very plausible to make an awesome tablet for 800.

Also considering the fact that all their notebooks are called macbook pro now. (apart from that old and obsolete model)

and the fact that they made snow leopard take up less space.

and P.A Semi..

and all the rumors

suggest that some revolution is in definitely in the works.
  • Reply 267 of 332
    Quote:

i really see great potential in simplified iPhone-type apps for iLife and iWork. this has gotten very little discussion so far.

if the iTab has the camera/video, then easy to use touch screen versions of iPhoto and iMovie with much simpler menus and bigger control buttons etc. would be killer. just basics, but including all the common things that would be enough 80% of the time for consumers (the iPhone 3.0 video app is a baby step only). the 10" screen would offer enough view area, whereas the iPhone screen is obviously too small.

likewise, for light document editing in a streamlined iWork, even the limited virtual keyboard would work. obviously would not write a thesis on it, but modifying docs on the road or a keynote presentation would be very possible. or keeping notes, records, etc.

Apple has a huge incentive to broaden iLife and iWork into touch screen app suites. it does not want to see those key mobile consumer functions captured completely instead by Google and others' web apps. and it would further reinforce Mobile Me's alternative cloud services for them.

these very sophisticated apps might not be ready until January or later, even if the iTab were released this fall just as a super-sized Touch for Xmas. that might account for the conflicting release dates we are hearing about ...

Another thing just struck me. remember how pages has a full screen view now. Most people hardly need it. Sure its cool, but it doesn't really server a purpose on their computers. However, it makes complete sense for a tablet with a 10" screen. You dont want to lose your whole screen by coovering them with buttons and controls. You want to work on the canvas, and have access to them when you need them.

I think apple has already made touch friendly versions for most of their 'key' apps.

Also this tablet will have a front facing camera for ichat, and a small click-wheel instead of the iphone home button. The click-wheel will work like command-tab function and help in multitasking. You cant really waste screen real estate on things like the dock. Just scroll to the app you want and click to switch to it.

Apple, filed a patent for an enhanced click-wheel sometime ago, so you do things like flick on it, there half a chance the tablet will get that enhanced click wheel.

Expecta thin bars on sides of the screen that expand to give controls in apps and the auto-hide., with the canvas taking center stage!
  • Reply 268 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I was about to say we'll be getting the last laugh. But ultimately I think it's Steve Jobs himself who will be getting the last laugh.

Its still not out yet you know. Don't speak too soon.
  • Reply 269 of 332
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naman34 View Post

Agreed. Maybe. Totally. Yeah
  • Reply 270 of 332
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Yeah, this here bandwagon is starting to get a bit crowded as of late...

I know right?

All the naysayers are going "I was wit u guys from da beginning!".

pleaseeee.
  • Reply 271 of 332
    Quote:

Agreed.

Also, lemme take this opportunity to temper my enthusiasm of this new device by saying that I'm disturbed at how Apple has become a bit too controlling of late. You all are seeing now how Apple not only denies apps for the iphone that might be offensive or would be potentially harmful.....

but they obviously also deny truly groundbreaking, innovative apps as well if it seems to threaten them or their buisness partners in any way. As well, they do no communicate to devs why apps are denied so as to give them the opportunity to correct the apps.

Very very disturbing trend indeed.

Even so, I'm still very much looking forward to this product and how it's revolutionary design will influence the entire computing industry as a whole.
  • Reply 272 of 332
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Well, all I want to say is, I'm amazed. You're the only person, who wants a big ipod touch instead of a macbook tablet.

Well you blew it in the first line of this post! I will be the first to say I'm looking for something more like a big iPod Touch rather than a scaled down Mac notebook.

Quote:

But let me tell you that not a lot of people share your view, and I'm sure apple won't just release a big ipod touch. It'll be a failure that way.

History says otherwise.

Quote:

It has to be something that can do almost everything (if not everything) that a netbook can do and more, and also in a much much more enjoyable way (I didn't say easier, no keyboard!)

When I here BS like the above I wonder if people even have a clue as to how powerful the current Touch based OS is or how easy extending it to support more features will be. I suspect it will be far easier for Apple to extend the Touch OS for more powerful devices than it will be to trim Mac OS for a new product. Beyond that I don't think Apple would spin it's wheels with development of the robust OS that is in iaphone with out plans to use it else where. We are talking a huge development effort that needs to be leveraged on more products.

Quote:

You are being too pessimistic. Ofcourse all the apps need to be developed to work well with touch. But its not as big a project as you think it is. The underlying software is ready any way.

Yeah and those APIs run under what? Let's here it Apples Mobile / iPhone OS.

Quote:

They just need to redesign the UI to work well with touch and it done. Make the buttons bigger, strip down some less required featured and you're done. Apple has a knack of surprising people this way. Remember when they announced their switch to intel, and told how OS X had been compatible for 5 years....

The point you are missing is that is exactly what they have done with Touch. So what would be the point in making the Mac APIs even more complex? In any event you fail to realize how difficult doing what you describe is, especially keeping it compatible with existing software.

Quote:

If they could do something like that. and keep it hidden for 5 years. Its totally possible that they have touch friendly versions of their software ready, for the release of the device. Also, you should remember, that this device has been in the making for a long long time. They've been waiting cuz they dont want it to fail like newton.

Newton didn't fail it got axed. Big difference.

Since we are talking about failures here, every tablet brought to market up till this time has been a failure. Every single one. Part of that is due to the use of an OS API simply not suitable for the job.

Touch is a successful tablet API right now, extending it to support larger devices would lead to rapid user acceptance. It has proven to be suitable for the job.

Both Touch and Mac OSes are based on the same underlying code so in a way this arguement is a bit silly. It is really a discussion about APIs for user apps. One good thing about Touch is that there is no legacy APIs to be supported.

A touch device running Mac OS is a very bad idea if current programs designed for desktop interfaces can run on it. Going iPhone derived for the OS eliminates the possibility of running apps that don't work on the tablet. Apple needs a platfom for tablets that breaks from the past.

Quote:

The idea for the iphone came from this device. The touch controls were originally developed for this tablet.

Yes it was which should make it obvious that something derived from iPhone OS is the likely development path. Think about it this project was shelved slightly to refocus on getting a cell phone out the door. This in effect means two years of solid development have likely gone into the OS since iPhones debut. IPhone OS is a trimmed down version of whatever this tablet OS was, it should be clear that capability beyound what we see in the iPhone is a real potential.

Quote:

When it comes out, if it ever does, it'll be the most amazing thing to hit the market!

That remains to be seen, Apple has proven that it can screw up just about anything still. AIR is just the last example. Frankly there are even more ways to screw up a tablet. The most obvious way to screw it up would be to implement a poorly ported desktop OS on it. Really mucking up the hardware is an issue too.

Dave
  • Reply 273 of 332
    Guys, go easy on the responses of Lord of the Rings' like proportions. Our modern minds can only read so much text in one sitting.
  • Reply 274 of 332
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

there are two schools of thought here - either the iTab is an enlarged touch that runs apps on the iPhone OS, or a smaller MacBook that runs applications on the desktop OS, adapted to touch screen UI.

It is pretty clear that a small format tablet (9" 10" multi-touch screen) cannot be Mac. It won't run Mac OS X. This will not be a Mac tablet.

Why? Because Mac OS X runs desktop applications. And desktop applications, like Photoshop and Word and Maya and Pages, all assume that you have a screen, and a keyboard and a mouse.

The world has seen what happens when you port a desktop app onto a tablet. In 2006 Microsoft did just that. And it was a disaster.

Clue. When Apps think they are running on a desktop, and they are really running on a tablet, they don't magically improve, they are a mess. They are a train-wreck.

Apple does a lot of things, but shoving train-wreck user interfaces at its users is not something Apple likes to do.

If this machine comes out, it will run a custom interface, and applications designed for that interface.

Not iPhone Apps, not Macintosh Apps, but tablet apps. And every pixel in that interface will be hand-crafted to work on that format.

C.
  • Reply 275 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Newton didn't fail it got axed. Big difference.

If I have got my numbers right...

...each day the iPhone sells more units that the Newton did over its entire lifetime.

Now it might not have failed.

But it was not an unqualified success.

C.
  • Reply 276 of 332
    cubefancubefan Posts: 53member
    Its taken me an hour to read all the posts on this thread, but its been worth it, all the technology, products and patents are converging:

a bit of background first tho:

I have one of those so-called Windows smartphones, WM6 powered, the hardware is ok, far too big, but the OS is rubbish, I have hardly used it, ever. My other half has an iPhone which does more, in a smaller form factor which is easier to hold and use, lovely

To the future:

I have an iPod touch, I use it all the time, over the air syncing with my calendar is so neat, my biggest worry is dropping it so it lives in a leather jacket with a flip top cover, problem solved

If a Mac mini was an Apple TV prototype (more likely a logical development) then what's a unibody aluminium Macbook Pro, or a Macbook Air? Combined with gestures on a trackpad.....

You have a viable template, the target OS must be SL, slimline Leopard, all solid state, a Newton for todays' market. I've never owned a Newton, but understand that they were much loved and admired with great functionality for the time.

If I was holding an $800 machine in one hand I wouldn't want to drop it unless it were rugged enough to cope with the fall - a unibody with screen protection sounds like a good start.

Half a Macbook Air (the screen half) but perhaps a bit thicker, the Air is a great exercise in packaging, even if powered by Inte,l so a unibody for strength and stiffness, with a downsized screen, powered by touchscreen gestures. Air tested the resistance to a machine without an optical drive and offered a usable solution (sharing over the ether)

Bluetooth if you really want data input, but I can type pretty well with two thumbs on an iPod touch in portrait mode.

But what else could you use it for?

With accelerometers, a mega gaming platform (I don't game, but lots of people do);

All the browsing you can handle

All the multimedia you can carry, streamed from your Apple TV perhaps

Would make a great combined input device for any Mac with a big enough display, like a 42" TV.

For e-books,Stanza is just great for e-book reading even on a Touch.

All the other stuff I can easily agree with, with the exception of perhaps 3G, otherwise what'll it do to the iPhone market?

There have to be some killer differentiators, features and benefits, otherwise, why bother? because there'd be no market for it at any price.

One final thought, if it comes out, it'll be right, it'll work and we'll all want one.
  • Reply 277 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

It is pretty clear that a small format tablet (9" 10" multi-touch screen) cannot be Mac. It won't run Mac OS X. This will not be a Mac tablet.

Why? Because Mac OS X runs desktop applications. And desktop applications, like Photoshop and Word and Maya and Pages, all assume that you have a screen, and a keyboard and a mouse.

Vision is the thing your clarity lacks. It's only pretty clear now, because it hasn't been invented yet.
  • Reply 278 of 332
    Guys, it will be a "Mac". If you can't see that then you aren't looking properly. This has to be something new, powerful, multi-touch etc. The only way this will blow the world away, and take off fully, is if it's full blown Multi-touch OS X. Get ready for Mac touch. Mac touch FTW!
  • Reply 279 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Guys, it will be a "Mac". If you can't see that then you aren't looking properly. This has to be something new, powerful, multi-touch etc. The only way this will blow the world away, and take off fully, is if it's full blown Multi-touch OS X. Get ready for Mac touch. Mac touch FTW!

What exactly is this "Mac" going to run?

Software does not write itself.

Is it's magic system software going to magically transform every piece of desktop software that has ever been written? Transform it so that it works properly on a tablet? Transform it, so that the software thinks that it has a large screen, - a physical keyboard and a mouse.

Will it re-write Photoshop? Will it re-code Maya? Will it even patch Pages?

And once it does, how will it map those mouse and keyboard inputs into the multi-touch tablet surface of the tablet? It will have to be great. Because if it is not perfect, user will get the impression that they are driving a car with chopsticks.

Ireland. You are fooling yourself. What you are hoping for is technically impossible. What you are hoping for is something that Microsoft made in 2006 and rapidly came to realise was useless.

And sold no computers. Zero. Zip. Nada. I counted them. Twice.

The reason the iPhone is good, the reason it is better than Windows Mobile is that the interface was created specifically for the form factor. It was not a half-assed attempt to shoehorn a desktop interface into a handheld. Instead we got a device with an interface engineered perfectly for a hand-held form-factor. An interface designed for the small screen size. An interface designed for a multi-touch interface.

I suspect that gave Apple some confidence.

If they produce a tablet, it will come with a tablet interface.

And that isn't going to drive desktop applications.

Besides, Apple don't want you to run Apps from DVDs.

They want you to run Apps from the App Store.

And deep in your heart of hearts. You know that to be true.

C.
  • Reply 280 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

What exactly is this "Mac" going to run?

Software does not write itself.

Is it's magic system software going to magically transform every piece of desktop software that has ever been written? Transform it so that it works properly on a tablet? Transform it, so that the software thinks that it has a large screen, - a physical keyboard and a mouse.

Will it re-write Photoshop? Will it re-code Maya? Will it even patch Pages?

And once it does, how will it map those mouse and keyboard inputs into the multi-touch tablet surface of the tablet? It will have to be great. Because if it is not perfect, user will get the impression that they are driving a car with chopsticks.

Ireland. You are fooling yourself. What you are hoping for is technically impossible. What you are hoping for is something that Microsoft made in 2006 and rapidly came to realise was useless.

And sold no computers. Zero. Zip. Nada. I counted them. Twice.

The reason the iPhone is good, the reason it is better than Windows Mobile is that the interface was created specifically for the form factor. It was not a half-assed attempt to shoehorn a desktop interface into a handheld. Instead we got a device with an interface engineered perfectly for a hand-held form-factor. An interface designed for the small screen size. An interface designed for a multi-touch interface.

I suspect that gave Apple some confidence.

If they produce a tablet, it will come with a tablet interface.

And that isn't going to drive desktop applications.

Besides, Apple don't want you to run Apps from DVDs.

They want you to run Apps from the App Store.

And deep in your heart of hearts. You know that to be true.

C.

Again, my deep conviction here with the OS of this device is that it will be a hybrid. It's not going to be a desktop OS converted for tablet use and it's not going to be a giant ipod touch. It will have feature and abilities similar to both types of systems yet be none of them.

It is going to be able to run desktop like applications with the ability to open desktop files but the interface for the apps are going to be different.

Likewise, iphone apps will also be able to run on it but of course it will not exactly be the same....they'll run better.

You want details? Your going to have to wait for the debut......or the brave spy who leaks info.