AT&T sees big increase in Wi-Fi connections following iPhone 3.0

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T saw nearly 15 million users connect to its Wi-Fi network last quarter -- a 41 percent increase over the previous quarter -- thanks, in part, to the release of iPhone 3.0, which allowed auto-authentication on the wireless carrier's 20,000 hotspots.

For iPhone users alone, the number of Wi-Fi connections tripled in June following the new software release, an AT&T spokesperson told AppleInsider. In all, 49 percent of users connected who connected to the network did so via smartphones.

AT&T has handled 25.6 million Wi-Fi connections in 2009. That blows away the total number of customers in 2008, when the service was used by 20 million.

"Our Wi-Fi network is a competitive differentiator for AT&T and a major value for our customers," said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "We include unlimited Wi-Fi access with the majority of our broadband and smartphone plans, and our customers are clearly taking advantage of it. It?s another reason that twice as many smartphone customers choose AT&T than any other carrier."

In June, coinciding with the release of iPhone 3.0, free auto-authentication for iPhones on AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots was enabled. This after months of delays and numerous premature announcements for the service.

During the holdup, AT&T has made expansions to its Wi-Fi network, and the company plans to continue its growth. Since the start of 2009, the company's Wi-Fi network authentication capacity has quadrupled, in anticipation of the influx of iPhone users. Since July of last year, the number of Wi-Fi hotspots has expanded from 17,000 to 20,000.

iPhone owners can find AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots in cafés, bookstores, airports, hotels, and universities, or at a nearby Starbucks.

"Our customers want both speed and mobility," said Angie Wiskocil, senior vice president, AT&T Wi-Fi Services. "They love the convenience that AT&T Wi-Fi offers, and we continue to enhance our Wi-Fi network, expand our portfolio of Wi-Fi enabled devices and extend our hotspot footprint to offer the best customer experience."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    ...and my Network in Australia (Vodafone) has zero hotspots.

At least the 3G works well.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    2nd

Are these hot spots free ??
  • Reply 3 of 38
    I told my ladyfriend I'd buy her a cell phone of her choice and she picked an iPhone.

Problem is, she wants to get it from Best Buy (so she can get their "insurance") but here in Chicago they don't have any yet. \ Anyone else having problems finding iPhones [3GS] in

other cities?
  • Reply 4 of 38
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

2nd

Yep! It's one of (if not the only) cool part about having AT&T.

EDIT: Thought of another cool thing I like about AT&T - Rollover Mins
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geneking7320 View Post

I told my ladyfriend I'd buy her a cell phone of her choice and she picked an iPhone.

Problem is, she wants to get it from Best Buy (so she can get their "insurance") but here in Chicago they don't have any yet. \ Anyone else having problems finding iPhones [3GS] in

other cities?

ladyfriend eh, bowchicha bowwo
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:

2nd

Yes, if you have a legit iPhone w/ data plan on AT&T

Quote:
    Originally Posted by geneking7320 View Post

other cities?

Nope, plus why do you want the insurance. When I got my friends iPhone from best buy they said it was $15 a month!!! Over the 2 year contract (1 year if you get another iPhone) it comes out to $360!!!!!! Thats the price of a new iPhone. And in one year you can get a new iPhone for the advertised price of $199 when they come out with a new model next year.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Yep! It's one of (if not the only) cool part about having AT&T.

EDIT: Thought of another cool thing I like about AT&T - Rollover Mins

Quote:

2nd

I did not know about this auto authentication, that cool I will have to try it latter.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    The auto-authentication is great, as a regular traveller I often found myself having to negotiate AT&T's stupid "type in your phone number, click on this text message" authentication scheme. On my most recent trip I didn't even notice the transistion from 3G to WiFi at Dulles Airport! Very nice, and one of my favorite things about iPhone 3.0, along with the fact that it now brings up a webpage overlay to authenticate WiFi if you're at a Hotel or somewhere where a password or click to accept is needed, regardless of what app you're using.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Because we can't maintain a phone call on AT&T's network.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Big deal. When am I going to get tethering on my iphone?
  • Reply 11 of 38
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by douglogic View Post

Well I'm sure if you pointlessly bitch about it on Apple forums some more, you'll get it sooner.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post

Yes, if you have a legit iPhone w/ data plan on AT&T

Nope, plus why do you want the insurance. When I got my friends iPhone from best buy they said it was $15 a month!!! Over the 2 year contract (1 year if you get another iPhone) it comes out to $360!!!!!! Thats the price of a new iPhone. And in one year you can get a new iPhone for the advertised price of $199 when they come out with a new model next year.

So if i walk in one of 200000 hot spots with my mac i need an att account ??

i guess free is not as cheap as it once was .

no soup for me
  • Reply 13 of 38
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:

When Verizon gets the iPhone, that's when!
  • Reply 14 of 38
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I'm new to this- why do I need WiFi when I'm paying for 3G? Does this mean it's a total WiFi package- it let's you send email messages,etc? If I'm on someone's Wifi can't they track my calls, texts, websites, etc easier than on 3G? This seems like a step backwards required only because AT&T has a subpar 3G network.

SO much for the "Fastest 3G" network that they advertise. Yeah it's fast - especially when you're on their WIFI version of it!
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

The absurdly easy hack (hint - go to a certain website and download a file) still works...
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm new to this- why do I need WiFi when I'm paying for 3G? Does this mean it's a total WiFi package- it let's you send email messages,etc? If I'm on someone's Wifi can't they track my calls, texts, websites, etc easier than on 3G? This seems like a step backwards required only because AT&T has a subpar 3G network.

SO much for the "Fastest 3G" network that they advertise. Yeah it's fast - especially when you're on their WIFI version of it!

Why? Because it's free, faster and drains less battery. That enough of a reason?

Oh, and you can still surf while you're on the phone with WiFi speed.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

So if i walk in one of 200000 hot spots with my mac i need an att account ??

i guess free is not as cheap as it once was .

no soup for me

Hotspots that were always free will remain free. Hotspots that used to cost money and that were ATT's are now free for the iPhone. Hotspots that were paid and not owned by ATT still cost money. So nothing that used to be free got more expensive, but some things that used to cost, now are free (and have been for about what, a year now?)
  • Reply 18 of 38
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

You're back to your old trolling again. Stop playing dumb, you either are way dumber than you play, or you are pretending to not understand this.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Oh, and you can still surf while you're on the phone with WiFi speed.

Then the phonecall is on 3G while I surf WIFI? Or is the call on Edge? Does it matter?
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Then the phonecall is on 3G while I surf WIFI? Or is the call on Edge? Does it matter?

If you've got 3G coverage the call stays on 3G and you surf w/ WiFi. If you're on EDGE it'll stay on EDGE. Either way you get to surf really quickly while still talking on the phone and the lack of drain on your battery is noticeable (in my experience)