CEA says Apple, Jobs not attending CES 2010 conference

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Despite reports to the contrary, Apple will not be exhibiting at next year's Consumer Electronics Show, nor is Chief Executive Steve Jobs expected to deliver the show's keynote, according to the Consumer Electronics Association.

Disproving most of what was suggested in an article from The Wall Street Journal, CEA officials have confirmed with various sources that the Mac maker is not signed up as an exhibitor for the January show.

Jason Oxman, senior Vice president of Industry Affairs for the CEA, told MacWorld that the show will feature the 25,000 square foot iLounge Pavilion to showcase Mac, iPhone and iPod products -- but only from third party vendors.

This brings to an end months of speculation that Apple would make an appearance at CES. The Cupertino, Calif., based company has usually avoided attending CES, considered the world's definitive home electronics event, as Macworld Expo has often been running at or near the same timeframe. With Apple pulling out of Macworld Expo 2010, though, the company is no longer tied to that specific show, which led to rumors.

The author of the Journal piece, Ben Charny, was essentially called out by former Engadget editor Ryan Block today. Block and Charny were both at a dinner with CEA Chief Executive Gary Shapiro, and according to Block, Shapiro never even suggested Apple would appear at next year's CES. He called the article by Charny "specious and flatly wrong."

"Bottom line, though is that if Gary had even gotten remotely close to implying Apple would be at CES, this shoddily sourced piece by Charny wouldn't have been the earliest story with the scoop nearly 24 hours after the fact -- laptops would been immediately out for reports filed from the dinner table," Block wrote.

The Journal later issued a correction for the story. The updated article reads: "The Consumer Electronics Association says that Apple has been invited to attend the convention. Apple declined to comment."

As for the prospect of Jobs keynoting CES, a CEA official confirmed that Jobs has not responded to Shapiro's invitation to speak at the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    I've got that song "should I stay or should I go" playing in my head for some reason.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I called this earlier today.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I'm still hoping SJ personally announces the iPad, iTab or SuperSized Touch this fall.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    think of the avgas he will save by not using his GulfStream!
  • Reply 5 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The fools!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm still hoping SJ personally announces the iPad, iTab or SuperSized Touch this fall.

iPad, for those cold winter months? Ladies.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    they should put a sticker to every NYT.

The WSJ: made by read by idiots.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Dang it. It would be good to have had Steve Jobs give the keynote. I'm sure there are many interesting topics he could have covered. Something on consumer electronics design, or ease of use, where he consumer products going in the future,...

But then again, he still looks thin in his latest pics.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Nice try.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Dang it. It would be good to have had Steve Jobs give the keynote. I'm sure there are many interesting topics he could have covered. Something on consumer electronics design, or ease of use, where he consumer products going in the future,...

But then again, he still looks thin in his latest pics.

Steve never talks about this stuff though. That's Gates your thinking of. Steve Jobs is very secretive, therefore wouldn't discuss this stuff. I.E He would never do the main CES keynote.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    It would be nice to see Apple take part in one of the coolest and geekiest things in the world though
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iPad, for those cold winter months? Ladies.

Ok- how's this, the iSlab?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It would be nice to see Apple take part in one of the coolest and geekiest things in the world though

I thought that was the beerfest tonight at the WhiteHouse!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

As for the prospect of Jobs keynoting CES, a CEA official confirmed that Jobs has not responded to Shapiro's invitation to speak at the event.

Steve Jobs will retire for health reasons before the next CES is held in Las Vegas. Any hope that he stays on as CEO of Apple is wishful thinking. How do you want a person with a liver transplant to attend crowded events with the risk of infection and rejection of the transplanted liver?

Steve Jobs should be allowed to retire before he dies on the job.

• Reply 15 of 19
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Apple does not need CES. CEA needs Apple to increase attendance. Why go to CES when Apple already has 2 world-class shows of its own every year?

Going to CES is desperation, and Apple is in no way desperate. Apple Stores are the biggest shows going on everyday. Why waste the money? Apple does not preview future products, so there is no need attending the CES.

Why go to them, when they can pay to come to you? It's no brainer. Forget the CES!!!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

think of the avgas he will save by not using his GulfStream!

Avgas is the secret ingrediant for the MBP long battery life.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Who cares?

Apple can do its own event, incluing the WWDC.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    It would have been fun seeing Apple compete with Microsoft on their turf but if their reason for abandoning MacWorld was not playing by a 3rd party schedule, CES wouldn't have been any different.

This means there are no known events between now and WWDC 2010, which leaves a lot more uncertainty about what Apple will do and when and no doubt why Apple will prefer this setup.

We can be fairly sure of an event around September/October for the SL launch and maybe a product refresh (quads in the consumer line hopefully). Plus they don't have to delay a tablet launch until January just so they have something to talk about. Intel's Pine Trail Atom CPUs are on schedule so should be coming around October.

The N450 is only single-core and includes a GPU so possibly no 9400M but it can be passively cooled so no fan is required. This means a very slim tablet is possible and with 2GB Ram + SSD maybe, it will run SL a little better than the original Mac Mini Core Solo.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Our long national nightmare is over.