Steve Ballmer calls Apple's Mac growth a "rounding error"

Comments

• Reply 101 of 272
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The day the Mac reaches 25% market share, Windows will be history in three years. Windows is maintained by inertia and ignorance.
  • Reply 102 of 272
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

there are already Mac viruses. there is even a Mac only botnet with a lot of hosts on it and i bet most of the owners don't even know they're infected. google mac botnet and you will see.

There are 0 active OSX viruses. Are you talking about the botnet that was created from the TROJAN (not virus) hidden in pirated copies of iWork and Adobe Photoshop CS4 that affected a few thousand computers and had no other means of expanding. Meanwhile the Conflicker worm had a botnet 12 million strong in April, and despite all the press, most users didn't know they were infected.
  • Reply 103 of 272
    Steve Ballmer is a rounding error.

Sheesh it is okay to be competitive but he constantly belittles the competition, often trying to reduce their frequently superior efforts to nothing.

If Apple wasn't a real threat, Ballmer wouldn't even be acknowledging them.

This guy is the worst thing to happen to MS since windows ME (since he was around prior to Vista, or I would have said vista).
  • Reply 104 of 272
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

So is he saying that Micrtosoft's model is "low margin, low quality, low price?"

(Answer: yes.)

more like low margin, low quality, high price - at least for windows and office...
  • Reply 105 of 272
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Ballmer's employment is a rounding error.

If Apple wasn't a serious threat Microsoft would not be running their laptop hunters campaign that explicitly targets Macs by citing the only advantage PC's have over a Mac: they're cheap shit.
  • Reply 106 of 272
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The emotional side of me hates Ballmer as much as any other apple-red blooded enthusiast. But honestly, he is just doing what most all CEOs do. As the water creeps up past the portholes of the Titanic you glibly inform the passengers that everything is under control. It's just part of the script that you are expected to stick to. It's the corporate game. After all, no matter what happens, he's covered. If M$ goes belly-up tomorrow he'll retire to the south of France with more money in the bank than you or I can even imagine.

Your post makes a lot of sense. Really, what's he supposed to say? But at the end of the day Ballmer is CEO and he has to answer for these things. Hes not really helping his cause by throwing backhanded compliments at Apple in public or getting all tongue-tied. MS has some serious management issues, but this goes back to even before Ballmer. The entire culture at MS seems rather out of sync with the times. It's disturbing to watch. We're a looong way away from the glitz and glamour of the Windows 95 rollout. It's an entirely different ballgame in the consumer market these days.
  • Reply 107 of 272
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    ""Apple's share globally cost us nothing," he said. "Now, hopefully, we will take share back from Apple, but you know, Apple still only sells about 10 million PCs, so it is a limited opportunity."

A bigger nitwit I have yet to see. He reminds me of General Custer.
  • Reply 108 of 272
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

There are 0 active OSX viruses. Are you talking about the botnet that was created from the TROJAN (not virus) hidden in pirated copies of iWork and Adobe Photoshop CS4 that affected a few thousand computers and had no other means of expanding. Meanwhile the Conflicker worm had a botnet 12 million strong in April, and despite all the press, most users didn't know they were infected.

isn't 12 million infected hosts more than the number of current OS X installations?
  • Reply 109 of 272
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Microsoft makes its money from volume OEM sales and corporate. They get a fraction of the retail price with the volume discounts.

They only sell a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of Microsoft Windows at retail. That is probably going to change a bit with Windows 7 given how fantastic it runs on older hardware. For the first time in a long time, you can actually improve the performance of your computer by updating to the latest version of Microsoft Windows.

The Retail copies are going to Macintosh users needing to run a Windows vertical App or PC users downgrading away from Vista. The other thing is that share numbers only deal with sales and since PC users upgrade more frequently than Apple users therefore actual use share is increasing even more rapidly than sales share. With 50% of the Macintosh computers sold at the Apple Company Stores are being sold purchasers who have never owned a Mac, you do the math.
  • Reply 110 of 272
    Quote:

isn't 12 million infected hosts more than the number of current OS X installations?

Nope. You're a pretty bad troll.

Edit:

I'll save myself the time of correcting your next comment.

The 10 million number Balmer throws around is annual sales. OSX has been out for a while...
  • Reply 111 of 272
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Share versus Apple, you know, we think we may have ticked up a little tick," Ballmer said at the 2009 Financial Analyst Meeting, "but when you get right down to it, it's a rounding error. Apple's share change, plus or minus from ours, they took a little share a couple quarters, we took share back a couple quarters."

"Apple's share globally cost us nothing," he said. "Now, hopefully, we will take share back from Apple, but you know, Apple still only sells about 10 million PCs, so it is a limited opportunity."

"At least when Apple attacks us, the primary attack that comes from Apple is, 'Hey, at the end of the day, we have the coolest hardware,'" he said. "When you see the hardware, the PC designs that will come out this Christmas with Windows 7, I think that conventional wisdom can begin to really change. There is some really amazing, amazing work. So it is possible to get great hardware innovation, even when hardware and software comes from separate companies."

"We do not, say, like Apple, believe in low volume, very high prices, very -- Apple is a great company, does a fine job. But their model says high margin, high quality, high price," he said. "That's kind of how they come to market. We say we want big market share. But with big market share, you take a lower price."

"And are the ads working?" he asked rhetorically. "In an independent survey, we asked 18- to 24-year-olds—or they were asked, "Who offers the best value, Apple or Microsoft?" You can kind of see Apple was comfortably ahead despite the fact they — well, despite whatever the facts are. Our ads started in April of '09. You can see kind of what the perception changes have been so far."

are these quotes for real? they're so vague. i'm thinking, "beating around the bushes" or running in circles.
  • Reply 112 of 272
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

You guys quit dogging Ballmer. He is eminently qualified to be Microsoft CEO. He was Bill Gates' college buddy.

i had a college buddy who was a bafoon
  • Reply 113 of 272
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

Edit:

The 10 million number Balmer throws around is annual sales. OSX has been out for a while...

http://www.dailytech.com/Another+Maj...ticle15832.htm

add one more security issue
  • Reply 114 of 272
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You really don't know anything about Steve Jobs, do you?

P.S., I apologize. You don't know anything, period.

Actually, I probably have far more direct knowledge then you... and you know Steve how?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Actually, ideally, I would think the opposite. Steve Jobs would rather meet with people who don't use his product as if you can convince them to use your product, you gain new users. But frankly, I don't think Jobs cares what you use. He may try to use his RDF to get you to use his own products, and you probably would be, by the end of the meeting.

Actually Exec of companies plus anymore who deals with people outside the company on a daily bases do care that people who interact with them on a daily basis and makes a living off their product do care. I have person experience with this I tell people who walk on our company is not a good idea to walk in with competitor products and especially with senior management. Plus I know people who call on apple and theirs competitor and it is not unusual for them to have each competitors products so when they do visit with them they have their product verse the competitor.
  • Reply 115 of 272
    maccadmaccad Posts: 87member
    "At least when Apple attacks us, the primary attack that comes from Apple is, 'Hey, at the end of the day, we have the coolest hardware,'" he said. "When you see the hardware, the PC designs that will come out this Christmas with Windows 7, I think that conventional wisdom can begin to really change. There is some really amazing, amazing work. So it is possible to get great hardware innovation, even when hardware and software comes from separate companies."

Yes, they do have the coolest hardware, but they also talk about the fact that they have by far the best software.

I'd rather be selling the best quality stuff on the planet at high profit margins than selling crap and watching my company flatline as it approaches the cliff of oblivion.

I wish one of Microsoft's stores was opening near me. I'd love to go there and watch the reaction of customers when they say, "Okay, I like this computer. I'll buy it," and hear, "Oh, we don't actually sell the computers here. How about a Zune?" Ha, ha, ha, ha....
  • Reply 116 of 272
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Edit:

Well, there are around 50-70 million Mac users. Apple claims the figure is 70 million or so, if I recall the comments from WWDC.
  • Reply 117 of 272
    Can we please stop quoting the Dancing Monkey Boy? He really has nothing of value to add to the conversation.
  • Reply 118 of 272
    Quote:

http://www.dailytech.com/Another+Maj...ticle15832.htm

add one more security issue

Dude give it up already. You're really clawing at the air here bringing the iPhone into a mac discussion. Furthermore, there are similar hacks on windows mobile and android devices. Android has been patched, rumors indicate that iphone OS will be patched tomorrow, no word on windows mobile.

This is my last response to you. You are the definition of a troll. Make a comment. comment gets debunked. Make a new comment unrelated to the first one....

Edit: I see the article does eventually get to something mac related.
  • Reply 119 of 272
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanrd7 View Post

Very few people buy computers because they look cool. Being the CEO of the world's largest software company you would think Ballmer would understand: it's the software stupid.

He just can't believe a HW company makes better software than the SW company itself.
  • Reply 120 of 272
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The day the Mac reaches 25% market share, Windows will be history in three years. Windows is maintained by inertia and ignorance.

you're absolutely right