FCC investigates Apple, AT&T for Google Voice app rejection

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's decision to reject Google Voice apps for the iPhone -- possibly at AT&T's request -- has prompted an FCC investigation into the anti-competitive nature of the move. A day later, AT&T has briefly denied the implied accusations.

The US government agency on Friday sent letters to Apple, AT&T and Google asking them to explain their roles in both rejecting Google's own app as well as pulling at least two third-party apps that were already available.

Besides inquiring into Apple's involvement, the letters also ask AT&T whether it was asked for an opinion and Google to outline both Google Voice as well as whether Google has had other apps approved. In practice, Google has only released a handful of apps but has ported over Google Earth from the desktop and used once-hidden programming instructions from Apple to develop the voice search component of Google Mobile App for the device.

The questions come as part of a larger investigation into the access to exclusive phones for rural customers, some of whom can't buy an iPhone or a similar handset simply because the relevant carriers don't operate in their areas.

What if anything the FCC suspects isn't immediately apparent. However, it's probable that the inquiry will look into whether or not AT&T wanted Google Voice absent to prevent competition with its own services, as it doesn't significantly tax the carrier's data network but does render it much less expensive to call long distance numbers and send text messages.

On Saturday, AT&T indicated that it was aware of the implications but directly denied any involvement in the App Store approval process.

"AT&T does not manage or approve applications for the App Store," company spokesman Brad Mays said. "We have received the letter and will, of course, respond to it."

Neither Apple nor Google have commented on the investigation themselves, but AT&T in the past has freely acknowledged that it doesn't want voice over IP apps like Skype, or TV-to-phone streaming apps like SlingPlayer Mobile, running on iPhones using its 3G network due to bandwidth concerns.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 213
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    It's about time.
  • Reply 2 of 213
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It's about time.

Pic of Steve Jobs saying WTF? http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/steve-jobs-wtf.jpg
  • Reply 3 of 213
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

WTF indeed.
  • Reply 4 of 213
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    What remarkably good news. The rest of us can fulminate and register our disapproval but the FCC might compel Apple to do what Schiller and others already want to do.
  • Reply 5 of 213
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It's about time.

Yes, I agree. The government should buy Apple, at&t, and Google. How dare such evil corporations even exist? If the United States Government took ownership of these sordid entities then we could all go to bed at night knowing that everything is fair, everybody gets what they want, and everybody gets the same thing. We could all then gather around the virtual campfire (the real thing would be so environmentally damaging) and sing happy songs as we all, both rich and poor, texted each other with our iPhones. Then we would all travel safely home in our GM electric cars.
  • Reply 6 of 213
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Man that is an old Steve Jobs pic. You might want to use something more up to date:

• Reply 7 of 213
    How does rejecting the Google Voice app prevent you from using the Google Voice service?
  • Reply 8 of 213
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    AT&T has a big muscle in Washington. This investigation is nothing but a formality. In the end the FCC will do what AT&T ask them to do.

These guys pay millions of dollars in lobbying cash to members of the congress every year. Remember the wiretap incident? They not only got away with it, they cannot be sued for spying on us. This VOIP is issue is chicken shit. They will close down as quickly as they started it.

Money talks in Washington. Sad to say, but that is how our make-believe (UN) democratic system works. They buy and sell, votes do not count. Believe it or not!
  • Reply 9 of 213
    finewinefinewine Posts: 92member
    Pure laissez faire libertarianism is like communism - a very appealing idea to naive idealists, but retarded in real life. It just doesn't work. Monopolies are economically bad for everyone - even the monopolist, long term. That's why Teddy Roosevelt busted them back in early 1900's. Yet, here we have folks who know nothing of economics, and remember nothing of history. Even Adam Smith - the original "invisible hand of the market" agreed that some practices are <b>anti-competitive</b>, and need to be stopped.

Friends, when Apple and/or ATT engage in anti-competitive actions, they need to be stopped - for the sake of everybody... including Apple. It's a no-brainer. I'm glad the FCC is looking into this.
  • Reply 10 of 213
    reiferreifer Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

How does rejecting the Google Voice app prevent you from using the Google Voice service?

It is possible to use it but, with the app your caller id that people you call see is your Google Voice number and not your cell number.

The questionable feature is free messaging. I'm sure that' what ATT doesn't like. Otherwise, I don't see where ATT loses any revenue?

The last paragraph of the article doesn't expand on the point that ATT makes Apple reject apps with features that are readily available on Blackberries and Palms that also run on ATT. Google Voice, for example
  • Reply 11 of 213
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Wow! This is what has happened to these United States of America? Worrying about shit like this when there are far more important issues that the government should be dealing with.

Can't your Obama get rid of the Republican stench that was left for the last eight years?

Sad.
  • Reply 12 of 213
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    It's all biting Google back in the ass --- because the FCC investigation has expanded into how Google rejects Android apps in the Android store.
  • Reply 13 of 213
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reifer View Post

The questionable feature is free messaging. I'm sure that' what ATT doesn't like. Otherwise, I don't see where ATT loses any revenue?

well that's easy. if I am using Google, I can ditch paying ATT 20 cents per text.

as for the whole rural customer thing, I doubt anything will come of it. the issue isn't the iphone but ATTs coverage.

Now if it was something to do with those folks having to pay the same data plan but not being able to get 3g cause of coverage, sure, sue away. cause that just ain't fair.
  • Reply 14 of 213
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Wow! This is what has happened to these United States of America? Worrying about shit like this when there are far more important issues that the government should be dealing with.

Can't your Obama get rid of the Republican stench that was left for the last eight years?

Sad.

Classy.

I hope the FCC dives in and forces the Google App and other third parties down their throat, really deep.
  • Reply 15 of 213
    From what I can tell, AT&T will also lose long distance fee's, which is a huge deal to them. It sounds like GV lets you call a local number (so you'll pay for roaming), but then it goes from analog to digital using Google's services. Like SMS, long distance fee's on cell phones are a cash cow for wireless providers (but it's straight-out being anti-competitive, with no negative impact on AT&T's network at all).

But I hope this investigation does force Apple and AT&T to stop monkeying around with app approval, just so developers can get more certainty over what can and cannot be developed for the app store.

As well, the big reason for AT&T blocking data-intensive apps on the iPhone and not on other phones, is because of the relative number of devices and actual usage of those phones. As a percentage of smartphones on AT&T's network, the iPhone would already have the biggest share today, based on the fact that overall (between all the carriers in the US, RIM is just slightly ahead of Apple in marketshare, but Apple is only on AT&T). And most of the data-intensive apps are more entertainment related (the video ones in particular), and the other smartphones are largely business oriented (they have started aiming smartphones at 'regular' consumers now that the iPhone has shown people want them). So if the apps become available on the iPhone, they will be used, and AT&T's network is already over-subscribed in many areas, so it will strain AT&T's network even more.

And this year AT&T has cut their network upgrades, I would say they will have trouble with just expanding their network to handle the new iPhone subscribers they are gaining, let alone improving their network to support more data-intensive apps so people can actually use the data plans they've paid for.
  • Reply 16 of 213
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Actually there is nothing more important than business, equitable business to be more accurate. Without strong profitable businesses nothing can be sustained for long.

Quote:

Sad.

I'm not sure if you even have the foggiest with respect to what you are talking about. aT&Ts involment with the US government goes back a very long time. Much can be traced back to WW2. With the creation of the NSA, AT&T practically became a branch of government.

In any event this relationship has gone on for years now. Democrats or Republican it really doesn't make much difference. What lines we can't tap through the NSAs direct connection to AT&Ts switches we tap with nuclear submarines.

What is really sad is that Obama is making a bigger mess of the country faster than Bush ever did. The current administration appears to be completely ignorant when it comes to fianace anything.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 213
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Duh, the FCC and DOJ should be investigating Verizon 10 times before they investigate ATT.

As noted, however, Verizon and ATT dictate the policy in this area. The government could be "awaiting orders" or "receiving instructions" more so than "investigating" these companies.
  • Reply 18 of 213
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yes, I agree. The government should buy Apple, at&t, and Google. How dare such evil corporations even exist? If the United States Government took ownership of these sordid entities then we could all go to bed at night knowing that everything is fair, everybody gets what they want, and everybody gets the same thing. We could all then gather around the virtual campfire (the real thing would be so environmentally damaging) and sing happy songs as we all, both rich and poor, texted each other with our iPhones. Then we would all travel safely home in our GM electric cars.

Tulkas, you make me want to throw up.

I'm with you. I truly do not understand the issue. This seems to be a fishing expedition to find some basis for a case against exclusive deals. Doesn't Palm have an exclusive deal with Sprint? Isn't that how all phones in the country are introduced? AT&T pays a great deal of money in subsidies to carry the iPhone and offer it at a low price to customers. Since when is that illegal? Who cares if everyone in America, or the world for that matter, can't get an iPhone? Why is that a crisis? What makes owning an iPhone a basic human right? AT&T does not serve everyone in America. So what! Dominos Pizza does not deliver to everyone in America. How did we get to be this entitled?

If GV is a killer feature and it is offered on other phones, is this not the competitive edge that other venders are looking for? Why can't the marketplace decide this one? Why should the government have the right to decide what apps are approved? Do we really want the government, of any country, telling Apple what apps they have to approve, or cell carriers what services they have to offer? I have a GV # and I would much rather be pissed at AT&T and Apple for denying me a service I want rather than having the government stepping in to micromanage the industry. This is worse than anti-competitive; this is anti-capitalism. Like it or not, this is America. We are a capitalist nation.
  • Reply 19 of 213
    jeff k-cjeff k-c Posts: 28member
    On second thought... never mind.
  • Reply 20 of 213
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    Rob Schneider derp de derp.

Derp de derpity derpie derp.

Until one day?a derp a derp a derp a derp.

Derp de derp?da teedley tum!

From the creators of?DER

?and TUM TE TIDDLY TUM TE TOO

Rob Schneider is?

DA DERP DE DERP DA TEEDLEY DERPIE DERPIE DUMB

Rated PG-13