FCC investigates Apple, AT&T for Google Voice app rejection

Comments

• Reply 21 of 213
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yes, I agree. The government should buy Apple, at&t, and Google. How dare such evil corporations even exist? If the United States Government took ownership of these sordid entities then we could all go to bed at night knowing that everything is fair, everybody gets what they want, and everybody gets the same thing. We could all then gather around the virtual campfire (the real thing would be so environmentally damaging) and sing happy songs as we all, both rich and poor, texted each other with our iPhones. Then we would all travel safely home in our GM electric cars.

Tulkas, you make me want to throw up.

No YOU make me want to throw up! It's either one extreme or the other with you people right?

Either you idiots don't want any regulatory oversight by the govt. at all allowing companies to become too evil and greedy or you want too much govt. control thereby halting freedom and the market's natural ability to correct itself.

There is a middle ground where level heads using wisdom can regulate markets without interfering too much.

But I guess such a world doesn't exist anymore.
  • Reply 22 of 213
    I hope the FCC turns up something, and if it was indeed AT&T who had Apple pull the app, I hope the FCC slaps their ass down hard.
  • Reply 23 of 213
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dblanch369 View Post

I hope the FCC turns up something, and if it was indeed AT&T who had Apple pull the app, I hope the FCC slaps their ass down hard.

Why? Is it so wrong for AT&T to reject a competing service on a device that it heavily subsidizes?
  • Reply 24 of 213
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member

This inquiry by the FCC is just that, an inquiry.

And what's more, this situation is a reasonable thing to inquire about: is AT&T behind the pulling of Google Voice apps and if so, what's their justification for singling out Google Voice (while alternatives like Skype remain in the store)?

Is it that Google Voice is becoming far more popular than other VOIP services?

Or that Google's CEO is on Apple's Board of Directors?

Or both?

Or none of the above?
  • Reply 25 of 213
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Can't your Obama get rid of the Republican stench that was left for the last eight years?

Sadly, no, Obama can't. He's been too busy "acting stupidly" to do much of anything worthy of bringing about "Change We Can Believe In".

So get use to that stench, because this new government controlled by the likes of Reid, Pelosi, Frank, Murtha, Kerry, Boxer, etc. and Obama's cronies is making it more repugnant!
  • Reply 26 of 213
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

Pure laissez faire libertarianism is like communism - a very appealing idea to naive idealists, but retarded in real life. It just doesn't work. Monopolies are economically bad for everyone - even the monopolist, long term. That's why Teddy Roosevelt busted them back in early 1900's. Yet, here we have folks who know nothing of economics, and remember nothing of history. Even Adam Smith - the original "invisible hand of the market" agreed that some practices are <b>anti-competitive</b>, and need to be stopped.

Friends, when Apple and/or ATT engage in anti-competitive actions, they need to be stopped - for the sake of everybody... including Apple. It's a no-brainer. I'm glad the FCC is looking into this.

Laissez faire libertarianism like communism? You're really pushing it, Gomer. You may as well say "Obamism" is like Communism. An equally inane comparison.

At any rate, your answer indicates to me that you need a little more information on what Libertarians really stand for.
  • Reply 27 of 213
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    About time. However, I have a feeling that the removal request was from Google not AT&T (I don't know.. maybe Google is going to shut the service down?!). There are plenty of other apps that hurt AT&T more than Google Voice (IM and VOIP apps are more damaging in my opinion). My understanding is that Google Voice uses your AT&T minutes to make and receive calls and therefore it is better for AT&T since you will be eating your minutes at higher rate. Furthermore, AOL IM app let you send SMS messages without using your AT&T minutes.
  • Reply 28 of 213
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Sadly, no, Obama can't. He's been too busy "acting stupidly" to do much of anything worthy of bringing about "Change We Can Believe In".

So get use to that stench, because this new government controlled by the likes of Reid, Pelosi, Frank, Murtha, Kerry, Boxer, etc. and Obama's cronies is making it more repugnant!

Hey, waitaminit! But... but... he IS all about change. He had a beer with a black professor and a white cop. That's something new!
  • Reply 29 of 213
    zmaczmac Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I'm with you. I truly do not understand the issue. This seems to be a fishing expedition to find some basis for a case against exclusive deals. Doesn't Palm have an exclusive deal with Sprint? Isn't that how all phones in the country are introduced? AT&T pays a great deal of money in subsidies to carry the iPhone and offer it at a low price to customers. Since when is that illegal? Who cares if everyone in America, or the world for that matter, can't get an iPhone? Why is that a crisis? What makes owning an iPhone a basic human right? AT&T does not serve everyone in America. So what! Dominos Pizza does not deliver to everyone in America. How did we get to be this entitled?

If GV is a killer feature and it is offered on other phones, is this not the competitive edge that other venders are looking for? Why can't the marketplace decide this one? Why should the government have the right to decide what apps are approved? Do we really want the government, of any country, telling Apple what apps they have to approve, or cell carriers what services they have to offer? I have a GV # and I would much rather be pissed at AT&T and Apple for denying me a service I want rather than having the government stepping in to micromanage the industry. This is worse than anti-competitive; this is anti-capitalism. Like it or not, this is America. We are a capitalist nation.

couldn't agree more. This sense of entitlement of some iPhone users is just amazing. If people don't like Apple and ipHone because they can't have GV app, they should just move to other carriers with other sh**t phones. People don't have a constitutional right to have an iPhone and a GV apps.
  • Reply 30 of 213
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I think this article explains the problem. Sorry about its length:

I Quit The iPhone

Michael Arrington

TechCrunch.com

Friday, July 31, 2009 1:46 AM

I have loved the iPhone, but now I am quitting the iPhone.

I was there in January 2007 when it was announced and I bought the first iPhone as soon as it was available. I happily bought the iPhone 3G a year later. I've proudly yelled "I Am A Member Of The Cult Of iPhone." I've been an unabashed cheerleader for the device to all who'll listen. And I've scoffed at developers who said they'd abandon the platform.

But I'm not going to upgrade to the iPhone 3GS. Instead, I'm abandoning the iPhone and AT&T. I will grudgingly pay the $175 AT&T termination fee and then I will move on to another device.

What finally put me over the edge? It wasn't the routinely dropped calls, something you can only truly understand once you have owned an iPhone (and which drove my friend Om Malik to bail). I've lived with that for two years. It's not the lack of AT&T coverage at home. I've lived with that for two years, too. It certainly isn't the lack of a physical keyboard, that has never bothered me. No, what finally put me over the edge is the Google Voice debacle.

Most of you won't know what I'm talking about, so I'll explain.

Google Voice is a a call management service that lets you determine what calls get through to you based on who's calling and what time of day it is, among other factors. It has amazing features, like automatically transcribing all your voicemails. And you can forward calls to any other phone easily and automatically. Here's an overview of the service if you aren't familiar with it.

I've always wanted to use Google Voice but there's a big switching cost - changing your phone number. Too many people have that phone number and use it to call in great stories. There's no way I'm giving that up. And there's another problem with Google Voice. When you make outbound calls from a phone, it (obviously) doesn't use your Google Voice phone number, so recipients don't know it's you calling. Those were two hurdles I wasn't willing to jump over.

But now Google is planning on rolling out number portability, so I can move my mobile phone number to Google. None of my friends, family or contacts have to store a new number.

That still leaves the problem of outbound calls, though. I can move my mobile number to Google and then get a new iPhone account, but outbound calls won't be identified because they are on the new number. Google has a solution for that too, though. They are releasing apps for a variety of handsets that effectively take over the native dialer, address book and call log. Problem solved. I can use any phone I like, or a bunch of phones, and just choose the one that makes sense at any time. I never have to be tied to a carrier and their restrictive contracts again.

Or so I thought. Apple and AT&T are now blocking the iPhone version of the Google Voice app. Why? Because they absolutely don't want people doing exactly what I'm doing - moving their phone number to Google and using the carrier as a dumb pipe.

So I have to choose between the iPhone and Google Voice. It's not an easy decision. Except, it sort of is. Google isn't forcing the decision on me, Apple and AT&T are. So I choose to work with the company that isn't forcing me to do things their way. And in this case, that's Google.

So what phone will I use next? Well, that decision is easy, too. I'd move to the Palm Pre because I believe it is the best phone out there other than the iPhone 3GS. But Google hasn't created an app for the Palm Pre yet, just Android and Blackberry phones. So for now I'm going to use the new Android myTouch 3G along with the Google Voice App. As soon as something better comes out, or Google makes an app for the Pre, I'll switch. And keep the same phone number. No long term contracts for me.

And Apple, if you ever decide to put the hammer down on AT&T and do the right thing for your loyal users, I'll consider switching back. In the meantime, I'll just use one of many iPod Touches laying around our office to test out new apps.
  • Reply 31 of 213
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Yeah improving the economy, removing troops from Iraq, and health care for everyone is really acting stupidly. Do me a favor and go waste some time trying to find Obama's "secret" birth certificate!
  • Reply 32 of 213
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

It's either one extreme or the other with you people right?

In an ocean of back-seat commenters, only the extremists get the replies. Taking a moderate point of view is either ignored or perceived as a sign of weakness. Welcome to the Internet age of anonymous bluster with no real-world consequences.

Quote:

There is a middle ground where level heads using wisdom can regulate markets without interfering too much.

But I guess such a world doesn't exist anymore.

Such a world does exist, thankfully, but it gets drowned out by the sensationalist 'news' generated by attention whores and marketing companies.
  • Reply 33 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I'm with you. I truly do not understand the issue. This seems to be a fishing expedition to find some basis for a case against exclusive deals. Doesn't Palm have an exclusive deal with Sprint? Isn't that how all phones in the country are introduced? AT&T pays a great deal of money in subsidies to carry the iPhone and offer it at a low price to customers. Since when is that illegal? Who cares if everyone in America, or the world for that matter, can't get an iPhone? Why is that a crisis? What makes owning an iPhone a basic human right? AT&T does not serve everyone in America. So what! Dominos Pizza does not deliver to everyone in America. How did we get to be this entitled?

If GV is a killer feature and it is offered on other phones, is this not the competitive edge that other venders are looking for? Why can't the marketplace decide this one? Why should the government have the right to decide what apps are approved? Do we really want the government, of any country, telling Apple what apps they have to approve, or cell carriers what services they have to offer? I have a GV # and I would much rather be pissed at AT&T and Apple for denying me a service I want rather than having the government stepping in to micromanage the industry. This is worse than anti-competitive; this is anti-capitalism. Like it or not, this is America. We are a capitalist nation.

The issue is that the cell phone companies are in collusion together to keep the cost of cellular service and SMS TEXT MESSAGING IN PARTICULAR artificially high.

Google come along and wants to charge a more appropriate price for text messaging(FREE).

But to protect their stranglehold on customers they block Google.

The reality is that unlimited text messaging shouldn't cost more than $5 a month.
  • Reply 34 of 213
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

AT&T has a big muscle in Washington. This investigation is nothing but a formality. In the end the FCC will do what AT&T ask them to do.

These guys pay millions of dollars in lobbying cash to members of the congress every year. Remember the wiretap incident? They not only got away with it, they cannot be sued for spying on us. This VOIP is issue is chicken shit. They will close down as quickly as they started it.

Money talks in Washington. Sad to say, but that is how our make-believe (UN) democratic system works. They buy and sell, votes do not count. Believe it or not!

How do you even get out of bed in the morning with a bleak world view like that? I sure hope you don't have kids.
  • Reply 35 of 213
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Wow! This is what has happened to these United States of America? Worrying about shit like this when there are far more important issues that the government should be dealing with.

Can't your Obama get rid of the Republican stench that was left for the last eight years?

Sad.

WTF are you talking about?

The FCC is finally getting off it's ass and actually moving to protect consumers (faster in this case than they ever have before), and you think this is some kind of "business as usual?"

This is exactly what "removing the Republican stench" looks like. Taking completely unfair predatory practices by companies like AT&T to task and ignoring the fact that they are trying to pay the politicians to look the other way.

What are you living in some kind of Bizarro reverse-world?
  • Reply 36 of 213
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

WTF are you talking about?

The FCC is finally getting off it's ass and actually moving to protect consumers (faster in this case than they ever have before), and you think this is some kind of "business as usual?"

This is exactly what "removing the Republican stench" looks like. Taking completely unfair predatory practices by companies like AT&T to task and ignoring the fact that they are trying to pay the politicians to look the other way.

What are you living in some kind of Bizarro reverse-world?

Amen! Man, seriously any apple fanboys who think this is bad news are severely underthinking this. Do you really think apple does not want google voice apps on the iPhone? Do you really think it was apple that killed 3g streaming of the slingplayer app? Come on! Although apple is monoolistic to a point, it is these wireless carriers that are holding up progress. This investiigstin could look produce results like theiphone being availableon other carriers than Att. I do t know about you, but I would be pretty happy. This onvestifTion is not just about google voice- although it might be the impetus, the FCC is after far more than google voice being rejected.
  • Reply 37 of 213
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yes, I agree. The government should buy Apple, at&t, and Google. How dare such evil corporations even exist? If the United States Government took ownership of these sordid entities then we could all go to bed at night knowing that everything is fair, everybody gets what they want, and everybody gets the same thing. We could all then gather around the virtual campfire (the real thing would be so environmentally damaging) and sing happy songs as we all, both rich and poor, texted each other with our iPhones. Then we would all travel safely home in our GM electric cars.

Tulkas, you make me want to throw up.

Hey lkrupp, how about making a statement against government intervention by calling AT&T and asking them to assign you a new random number, rather than continuing to use the number you retained after leaving Verizon/Sprint/whatever. After all the ability to do so only happened AFTER government intervention (and was strongly opposed by the carriers). And since no one but salespeople want to get a hold of you in the first place, it will be no loss on your part!
  • Reply 38 of 213
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I Quit The iPhone

Michael Arrington

TechCrunch.com

Friday, July 31, 2009 1:46 AM

The fact that Arrington is ditching his iPhone makes me like my iPhone just that little bit more.

Maybe do a search on the guy to find out how highly he's not regarded in the industry.
  • Reply 39 of 213
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Amen! Man, seriously any apple fanboys who think this is bad news are severely underthinking this. Do you really think apple does not want google voice apps on the iPhone? Do you really think it was apple that killed 3g streaming of the slingplayer app? Come on! Although apple is monoolistic to a point, it is these wireless carriers that are holding up progress. This investiigstin could look produce results like theiphone being availableon other carriers than Att. I do t know about you, but I would be pretty happy. This onvestifTion is not just about google voice- although it might be the impetus, the FCC is after far more than google voice being rejected.

Your theory makes it sound like it's all the evils of carriers, hollywood and music studios.

Apple and Google are bigger than 99.99999999% of the carriers out there --- the only carrier bigger (in terms of market cap) is AT&T and some Chinese carriers (which are priced way out of normalcy with their stock market). What you think verizon is evil or vodafone is evil or T-Mobile is evil or Orange is evil or O2 is evil --- guess again. The carriers are small potatos which have their livelihood threaten by much bigger silicon valley giants.

You can buy a major music label for 700-800 million dollars. You can buy a Hollywood studio for a few billion dollars. In an era where silicon billionaires spend $200-300 million on a yacht --- they can buy a major music label with their yacht collection.

FCC ---- SHOULD BE --- going after far more than this ---- this is why the FCC sent a letter to Google asking how Google rejects apps submitted to the Android app store. It's biting Google back in the ass.
  • Reply 40 of 213
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I can't believe you guys really want the friggin' FCC in charge of approving apps for smartphones.