Apple releases iPhone 3.0.1 software to fix SMS exploit

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    maxijazzmaxijazz Posts: 25member
    It is sad IF Apple was lazy on this patch as it was on Java vulnerability.

On other side IPs get patched quickly, thanks to process easiness. All IP owners, I know, do.

On the contrary i know maybe few who patch their WM and they are high skilled IT guys, oops i mean Win fanboys.
  • Reply 62 of 91
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

As for Touch users... the best feature of a Touch is that it CAN'T get annoying SMS messages from your friends

"Amen" to that.
  • Reply 63 of 91
    icebikeicebike Posts: 14member
    I've noticed that 3.0.1 fixes a few annoying problems that kept cropping up in other apps.

First I noticed that my IM+ App reconnects very fast instead of taking forever and eventually timing out. Its almost instantaneous.

Next Fring no longer asks me every minute if it can use my GPS.

My WiFi Passwords are not lost (at least not yet).

Wifi jumps on to my wireless much faster than before

The Voice Search in the Google APP again beeps when I hold the phone up to my ear so that I can speak my search terms. This has been broken since 3.0

I've seen faster Speedtest app results using my own wifi router than I did in the past. (not by much, but they are all faster).

Maybe all these things just coincidentally improved due to a re-install, rather than any thing Apple did. But it seems to me that they fixed up the TCP stack quite a bit.

Anyone else seeing improvements?
  • Reply 64 of 91
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Proof is in the pudding, as they say. Apple was notified before the 3.0 launch of this problem, and didn't delay the release despite knowing the potential danger behind it. Google was notified of a similar problem and pushed out an update as soon as it was made available.

Now why did Google fix their problem so quickly, and Apple waited until the exploit became known to the public before they did? I can't answer for sure obviously, but my guess is they wanted to include the update in 3.1, currently being beta tested. 3.0.1 only exists because Apple ran out of time, and decided to revert back to an old code-base with the fix included.

This update should have come out WEEKS ago. But what sort of message would that have sent? Oh, Apple's newest iPhone shipped with a major security flaw?! That can't be good for Cupertino's business....

Face it. Apple delayed this security patch in favor of better press. Never mind that the action puts their users at risk for a DANGEROUS exploit, as long as nothing spoils the iPhone's launch and image. That's just... wrong.

Speculation!
  • Reply 65 of 91
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

are there any reports of anyone using or suspected of using said 'flaw' on any phone much less the iphone.

and as was pointed out by someone else, telling Apple "hey there's a problem with your code and it could really be used for some havoc" is different than "Hey we found a way to hack your phones and here's how we did it." the latter wasn't until now. so Apple couldn't really fix the issue cause they didn't know what it was. however this is not to say that they weren't trying to fix it out from the moment they were told. we don't work at Apple so we don't know

Stupid argument, we are always 'at risk' but do we do anything about it.

What about the risk of being shot in America? So many guns and idiots allowed to own them.

A much higher and more dangerous risk than an SMS message that messes with your iPhone.

What are you doing about that risk? Or all the cars and bad drivers that kill or injure thousands each year, or the fact that we are all being killed by pollution and global warming. NOTHING!

Put the SMS issue into perspective, it is meaningless compared to all the other risks in the world that we do nothing about.
  • Reply 66 of 91
    Quote:

DANGEROUS flaw in their phones that could give an attacker access to the GPS, knowing exactly where it was in the world

I have a genuine query since you mention this in two posts. Why would this matter? I'm not sure why this flaw is all that dangerous and how much real use anyone would make of it.

But why would I care if someone gets to know exactly where my phone is? Would they fly around the world tracking me down? I don't see how they could target only nearby phones with this, wouldn't they have to send the attack to random numbers?

People in the street who see me using the phone, on the other hand, already know exactly where it is. And they're on hand to do something about it.

Reminds me of an article on the dangers of, what was it, (I guess it doesn't remind me very well!) the Nike device used with an ipod? People could snoop on the data between the devices and use them to track joggers? Why wouldn't you sit on a park bench and watch?

So I don't get it. A techie way of determining the current location of a random phone, somewhere in the world? Or is it used by someone to monitor someone they know personally? I'd be more concerned at knowing such a dodgy person in the first place.
  • Reply 67 of 91
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

But it seems that Android is fixed--even before Apple did (according to someone posting at MR, anyway). So, everyone but Microsoft has a patch?

As for Touch users... the best feature of a Touch is that it CAN'T get annoying SMS messages from your friends

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use the Touch as a phone with the Truphone app, and I think you can also use SMS as well. I may be wrong, but I'd be interested to know if this is true. Any info anyone?
  • Reply 68 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

I said they didn't fix it until they were called on it publicly and were told that it was going to be released at Black Hat FORCING them to RUSH a fix out for a security flaw that they sat on thier ass on.

Apple Looks foolish in the media and should for letting it go unfixed.

Wow. Anyway it has been fixed and I've downloaded it.
  • Reply 69 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use the Touch as a phone with the Truphone app, and I think you can also use SMS as well. I may be wrong, but I'd be interested to know if this is true. Any info anyone?

Bah. No you can't. Reception issues? Sim Card?
  • Reply 70 of 91
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

Bah. No you can't. Reception issues? Sim Card?

@SGSStateStudent,

Are you sure you're right, do you have Truphone or do you know anything about it?
  • Reply 71 of 91
    This updated does way more than fix the security flaw. we are not stupid.

My 3gs boots up twice as fast

and the maps compass feature is way more accurate.

So how does apple get away with updating other things and not telling the public about it?
  • Reply 72 of 91
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

This updated does way more than fix the security flaw. we are not stupid.

My 3gs boots up twice as fast

and the maps compass feature is way more accurate.

So how does apple get away with updating other things and not telling the public about it?

It would be nice if they were clearer about what is updated, but isn't it a good thing that you get more improvements than they say? The way you write it, it's almost as if you are saying the other improvements are bad, rather than saying it would be nice if their update data was more informative.
  • Reply 73 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It would be nice if they were clearer about what is updated, but isn't it a good thing that you get more improvements than they say? The way you write it, it's almost as if you are saying the other improvements are bad, rather than saying it would be nice if their update data was more informative.

The improvements are awesome. i just dont like being deceived. dont say this is a security update, when there's more to it than that.
  • Reply 74 of 91
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

The improvements are awesome. i just dont like being deceived. dont say this is a security update, when there's more to it than that.

Then please don't say you aren't being hyperbolic. Lying and deception just don't fit the situation that I can see, I'm hoping you can explain it better.

Please say why you think this was an act of malice by Apple against its customers. How does not having that information hurt you or benefit them vs. having it? It's not as if you're going to not choose to download it, is it?
  • Reply 75 of 91
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Google and Apple have had months of notification before it was discussed publicly. Microsoft's flaw, however, was only discovered this past Monday, meaning they've had less than a week to work on a patch. So in defense of Microsoft, they just haven't had enough time to patch it yet.

Apple on the other hand waited months after knowing about it before they issued a patch, leaving their customers vulnerable. Android was patched much sooner.

That's fair--and it sounds like something the carriers COULD block too, and they haven't. I imagine that if ANY of their platforms knew about this months ago, then the carriers knew about it too.
  • Reply 76 of 91
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    I am getting "This version of the iPod software (3.0) is the current version."

Has the update been pulled?

Edit: Oops. There never was a Touch update. Yeah.
  • Reply 77 of 91
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Updated. Everything seems fine. Oh BTW I won an iPhone 3GS 16GB ... Will be collecting from Maxis (here in Malaysia) sometime in August.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Apple Looks foolish in the media and should for letting it go unfixed.

Not as foolish as you look!

"Apple moved even faster than necessary to fix the problem: Miller told Wired.com it took him two and a half weeks to discover the exploit. A hacker ?really smart and lucky? could take a few days to replicate the attack, but that?s unlikely because ?not many people in the whole world? have these skills, he said." and this is from the expert that discovered the problem.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/07/apple-patch-sms
  • Reply 79 of 91
    Quote:

Its like you're in high school and a student is given an assignment. Let's say that two students (Apple and Google) were given a task to complete as soon as possible. In this case, Android is the A+ student who completes it within a few days. Apple is the lazy procrastinator that pulled an all-nighter before the due date and rushed to get something out the door on time.

Now lets say while these students have had nearly 6 weeks to complete their task, a new student has joined the class from out of state (Microsoft), and they're told they have less than a week to complete the same task that the other two have had over a month to prepare. Does that sound fair?

Apple being the prudent student didn't rush to get the fix out but most probably did that thorough testing U expect M$ will do. This is a bug which is vastly overblown because 1) it resided on someones drawing table and 2) is expected to affect literally noone if ever practised in the real world, so what's the rush? Apple has done thorough testing, because a fix could be MUCH worse than the small problem it was destined to fix. And believe it, a rushed out fix screwing up something w the iPhone would mean VASTLY more problems for Apple than stalling a couple of weeks. They KNEW how much time they had at hand to release the fix so what's the hurry??? I guess the prudent people at Apple baked in a few other fixes at the same time, which is wise to do once U have to release an update anyway.

Luckily Apple aint run by people like U but cautious responsible people knowing their game.
  • Reply 80 of 91
    I upgraded mine at it seems slower, specially on applications that have to access AT&T. Anybody having the same issues