Steve Ballmer calls Apple's Mac growth a "rounding error"

Comments

• Reply 181 of 272
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

You are so confused that I don't know where to begin. Apple laptops are the best in business and highest rated in initial quality and user satisfaction. I certainly never had a problem with mine.

Check your facts. Consumer Reports Rated Apple's Laptop Reliability No better than any off the Windows Laptops. In fact, Apple was rated worse than Sony, Lenovo (IBM), Compaq, and Toshiba. You are a victim of perception.

Quote:

iPhone is not any way more insecure than your average phone out there. By the way that SMS bug is not unique to iPhone, if that is what you are referring to.

But iPhone is a "Premium" Product, it should NOT have the same problems other average phones have you moron. You guys are amazing. What you really are is someone who buys stuff to impress your friends. So you have to justify spending the extra money by making sure everyone know that you bought an iPhone, Mac, etc. I think it interesting that when someone buys an iPhone everyone has to hear about it. Wonder why that is. Because they just dropped a load of money and they want to justify it.

Really I am glad you do buy it. Helps the economy, and of course you are better off not having the money.
  • Reply 182 of 272
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Check your facts. Consumer Reports Rated Apple's Laptop Reliability No better than any off the Windows Laptops. In fact, Apple was rated worse than Sony, Lenovo (IBM), Compaq, and Toshiba. You are a victim of perception.

But iPhone is a "Premium" Product, it should NOT have the same problems other average phones have you moron. You guys are amazing. What you really are is someone who buys stuff to impress your friends. So you have to justify spending the extra money by making sure everyone know that you bought an iPhone, Mac, etc. I think it interesting that when someone buys an iPhone everyone has to hear about it. Wonder why that is. Because they just dropped a load of money and they want to justify it.

Really I am glad you do buy it. Helps the economy, and of course you are better off not having the money.

Actually, I did check Consumer Reports. Here's a NYT write up on it. MacBooks swept the laptop categories.
  • Reply 183 of 272
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dballecer View Post

Actually, I did check Consumer Reports. Here's a NYT write up on it. MacBooks swept the laptop categories.

oops. Forgot the link. Here it is: http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...hine-to-apple/
  • Reply 184 of 272
    dean812dean812 Posts: 32member
    Ballmer is always lying on Apple as usual. He is so delusional about Macs explosive growth that he dismisses it. I remember he laughed at the iPhone and said "Who's going to buy a 500 dollar phone?" Well you idiot Ballmer, millions of them have been sold and they gain market share faster than any other phone, just like Macs gain more market share than Windows equipped machine during the same period. Eventually Macs will again be the dominant platform. People are getting smarter and are starting to understand that Macs are just more intuitive and the fact that you have never seen virus on one is becoming one of the best selling points when you think of WIndows machines that can be rendered unusable by a rouge virus on a daily basis. Peecee's are garbage. and so is Ballmer. He is clueless!
  • Reply 185 of 272
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

oops. Forgot the link. Here it is: http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...hine-to-apple/

You got to it before I could. Thank you.

Too bad Phalanx isn't man enough to acknowledge his mistake.
  • Reply 186 of 272
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Much more than that:

https://investor.shareholder.com/msf...9386&SID=09-00

OMG there a cash machine

oddly xbox seems to be doing very well

my gaming freinds swear by the xbox
  • Reply 187 of 272
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You got to it before I could. Thank you.

Too bad Phalanx isn't man enough to acknowledge his mistake.

Well we all know why he's here, right?
  • Reply 188 of 272
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dean812 View Post

Ballmer is always lying on Apple as usual. He is so delusional about Macs explosive growth that he dismisses it. I remember he laughed at the iPhone and said "Who's going to buy a 500 dollar phone?" Well you idiot Ballmer, millions of them have been sold and they gain market share faster than any other phone, just like Macs gain more market share than Windows equipped machine during the same period. Eventually Macs will again be the dominant platform. People are getting smarter and are starting to understand that Macs are just more intuitive and the fact that you have never seen virus on one is becoming one of the best selling points when you think of WIndows machines that can be rendered unusable by a rouge virus on a daily basis. Peecee's are garbage. and so is Ballmer. He is clueless!

PART ONE

first clue

no one is as stupid as balmer makes out to be

IS it possible that everyone on this thread is mistaken about balmer and MS .?

IS it possible that the idiotic back and forth chit chat going here and on the rest of the markets IS EXACTLY WhaT BALMER WANTS .

IS it possible that the stupid money wasting LAPTOP TV ADS And all that balmer spews forth is intended solely to stir the pot and too mis-direct us from the real TRUTH .

Is it possible balmer is a genius ?

IS it possible that every word balmer and MS has ever spoken is false and misleading self serving lies truths and 1/2 truths . ?

IS it possible the apple div at MS is its highest profit maker ever.

Why is this so clear to me .

a CLUE FOR YOU ALL DUNDER HEADS

Why does MS make ads that attack on of its best clients ??

And those same ads actually infer just the opposite to have an effect of attacking dell and friends ??

In part two i will supply the answers and a one word conclusion

peace

• Reply 189 of 272
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

Most seems to think that Microsoft sold all their shares back in 2003. Some are saying that Microsoft could have sold them as soon as they were converted to common shares. Which may be the reason why they were converted in two 9 million share batch. By converting and selling them in two 9 million shares transaction, Apple wouldn't have to be report it to the SEC if the transaction involve less than the 5% of the outstanding shares. But even 18 million shares at the time would have been less than 5% (not by much though) but a 18 million share transaction would be harder to hide.

FWIW, that's what I've heard and assumed too, but I've never seen any confirmation, probably because it wasn't necessary under SEC rules for the sale to be disclosed.

Quote:

I've been an investor in AAPL since 1997 and remember reading in financial news that Microsoft sold all their shares in 2003. Though no confirmation from Apple, Microsoft or SEC. Just rumors from stock analyst that follows AAPL.

It's almost certain that Microsoft no longer own those shares now. A list of the largest shareholders has Fidelity as number 1 with 40 million shares. Barclay second with 24 million shares. And Growth fund of American comes in with 24 million shares. If Microsoft didn't sell any of their 18 million shares of common AAPL stocks, they would have over 36 million shares today. (After the split in Feb. 2005.) Which would just barely be under the 5% requirement before Apple has to reveal to the SEC that Microsoft owns 5% or more of AAPL. However, Microsoft could be still consider a private investor and Apple don't have to reveal them as a shareholder if they don't own more than 5% of outstanding shares. So it's possible, but doubtful, that Microsoft still owns 36 million shares of AAPL. For all we know, AAPL stocks have been financing their Xbox and Zune division all these year.

Same year I first bought. We must have been reading the same smoke signals.
  • Reply 190 of 272
    Quote:

We are talking about Reliability. Click the Brand Reliability Tab. Man you guys are slow.
  • Reply 191 of 272
    Quote:

We are talking about Reliability. Click the Brand Reliability Tab. Man you guys are slow.

lol. OK. You're the smart one. I also heard in a poll of laptops that are colored in a green and red plaid pattern, Macs rate dead last. Bottom line, best laptop? MacBooks. In all categories. Maybe next year will be different. I'm only concerned with now.
  • Reply 192 of 272
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Once you start personal attacks you lose immediately you know. For the record, I have a PhD in pure math, but perhaps I'm a moron for trying to argue with someone of your intellectual caliber.
  • Reply 193 of 272
    Quote:

Once you start personal attacks you lose immediately you know. For the record, I have a PhD in pure math, but perhaps I'm a moron for trying to argue with someone of your intellectual caliber.

I can't hang with your PhD in "pure math". I only worked on the several Flight Simulations for NASA (Shuttle, Space Station), Swedish Air Force (JAS 39), and US Air Force (F15/E, F16). We did a little math on those. I'm sure nothing a complicated as your "pure math".
  • Reply 194 of 272
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I can't understand why so many people would chose Windows over Mac, but there we go.

That's easy ... in any consumer product what usually appeals to the masses? ... price , price and price. Let's face it, it may not be politically correct to say it but the majority of consumers are too lazy to research AND ANALYZE (thinking for themselves) before they buy ... they are greatly influenced by the advertisement industry, (not the most honest of industries), and they have no concept of VALUE vs PRICE. It's always been that way and unfortunately will likely always be that way. That's why Apple will always be a company that makes a superior product but has a smaller market share. Personally, I don't have a problem with that .... I don't care if my neighbor thinks I spent too much $$$ for my Mac ... I just smile to myself every time his computer slows to a crawl and he has to replace it while getting NOTHING for his old one, meanwhile my Mac keeps purring right along. Sign me ... Happy in Vancouver.
  • Reply 195 of 272
    Quote:

This is the interesting split personality that Mac people have. On one hand they believe that they have a "Premium" product, on the other they believe that they have a better Total Cost of Ownership. Statistics, and real data prove this incorrect. Apples Devices are no more reliable then name brand PCs, In fact, their laptops are noticably worse in reliability. In addition, they definitely have just as many, or more, security holes. Many of which are not exploited because of the insignificant market share that the Macs enjoy. Another great example: The iPhone is like swiss cheese.

If Windows is the epitomy of crap then why would a "Premium" product allow it to be loaded on their system.

In closing: If Macs are the "Premium" product with better TCO, then why does most Mac users also have a PC and/or Windows running on their Macs. Probably because they need to do real work once in a while. I think I would rather buy a machine that needs only one O/S to get my work done.

"Statistics, and real data prove this incorrect"

It's real easy to make a statement that you "forgot " to back up ... what statistics ... what data ?

"In fact, their laptops are noticably worse in reliability."

Again, without supporting data, that's not a "fact" just your opinion.

" In addition, they definitely have just as many, or more, security holes."

How often are you going to make ridiculous statements without ANY supporting data. I hate to be the one to break the news to you but just because YOU SAY IT ... doesn't make it true !

"I think I would rather buy a machine that needs only one O/S to get my work done."

Sure, if you're only ... DOING ONE THING.
  • Reply 196 of 272
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

"Statistics, and real data prove this incorrect"

It's real easy to make a statement that you "forgot " to back up ... what statistics ... what data ?

"In fact, their laptops are noticably worse in reliability."

Again, without supporting data, that's not a "fact" just your opinion.

" In addition, they definitely have just as many, or more, security holes."

How often are you going to make ridiculous statements without ANY supporting data. I hate to be the one to break the news to you but just because YOU SAY IT ... doesn't make it true.

facts, supporting data: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...eliability.htm

I thought you were capable of clicking on the "Brand Reliability" yourself. I over estimated your abilities. I should have known, you bought a Mac.
  • Reply 197 of 272
    Quote:

facts, supporting data: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...eliability.htm

I thought you were capable of clicking on the "Brand Reliability" yourself. I over estimated your abilities. I should have known, you bought a Mac.

Since I don't wish to "subscribe" to a consumer report service and you apparently do , maybe you'd like to take some screenshots of "your data" and post here ... Vista can handle that , can't it ?

BOTTOM LINE

The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is faster, runs longer on a charge, doubles the memory capacity, and adds an SD card slot. It also has a gorgeous wide-gamut display and a lower price. In short, the quintessential commercial notebook is now even better.

Quote from Tom Yager, @infoworld .com
  • Reply 198 of 272
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

PART ONE

first clue

no one is as stupid as balmer makes out to be

IS it possible that everyone on this thread is mistaken about balmer and MS .?

IS it possible that the idiotic back and forth chit chat going here and on the rest of the markets IS EXACTLY WhaT BALMER WANTS .

IS it possible that the stupid money wasting LAPTOP TV ADS And all that balmer spews forth is intended solely to stir the pot and too mis-direct us from the real TRUTH .

Is it possible balmer is a genius ?

IS it possible that every word balmer and MS has ever spoken is false and misleading self serving lies truths and 1/2 truths . ?

IS it possible the apple div at MS is its highest profit maker ever.

Why is this so clear to me .

a CLUE FOR YOU ALL DUNDER HEADS

Why does MS make ads that attack on of its best clients ??

And those same ads actually infer just the opposite to have an effect of attacking dell and friends ??

In part two i will supply the answers and a one word conclusion

peace

As Steven Wright once asked:

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  • Reply 199 of 272
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

More like what's inside it.

poor fellow ... He was born with an 8 bit processor.
  • Reply 200 of 272
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I like Ballmer. He speaks his mind, he never holds back, and he's always entertaining. He's also a bit mad, but need mad people in top places, they make the world a more interesting place.

As for the Mac market share, from my point of view I can see things changing taking on my daily train ride to work. A year ago I would see lots of MacBooks and Blackberrys, now I rarely see anything but Samsung NetBooks and iPhones. Just my personal experience.