SERIOUS BUG - cannot log in Leopard after upgrading to 10.5.7!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all, I upgraded my Macbook Pro to 10.5.7 via Software Update, and after that I cannot log in anymore! The system boots fine, I land on the log in screen. After entering the password, it seems to be logging in, I can see the dashboard and everything, and then it automatically logs out and jumps back to the log in screen!

I searched on Apple Support and found this -> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1543?viewlocale=en_US, changing the password in single user mode doesn't work either!

Hope you guys know what's going on and give me a hand! I tried to contact Apple Support but they said my AppleCare is expired and won't help!

Thanks guy!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fattat View Post

Hi all, I upgraded my Macbook Pro to 10.5.7 via Software Update, and after that I cannot log in anymore! The system boots fine, I land on the log in screen. After entering the password, it seems to be logging in, I can see the dashboard and everything, and then it automatically logs out and jumps back to the log in screen!

I searched on Apple Support and found this -> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1543?viewlocale=en_US, changing the password in single user mode doesn't work either!

Hope you guys know what's going on and give me a hand! I tried to contact Apple Support but they said my AppleCare is expired and won't help!

Thanks guy!

Hold down shift, and restart, hold down till you see the apple and spinning cog wheel.

You have just booted into safe mode. If ok then restart as normal.

See if that works...

Sc
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SimonCharlie View Post

Hold down shift, and restart, hold down till you see the apple and spinning cog wheel.

You have just booted into safe mode. If ok then restart as normal.

See if that works...

Sc

I already tried that. I cannot boot into safe mode either. I land on the login screen, and the same problem occurs, it keeps returning to the login screen after I enter the correct password.

I also posted on the apple forum -> http://discussions.apple.com/thread....926351#9926351

Do you know how I can reach Apple skipping the customer service? Their CS is not being helpful at all.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Boot off the installation DVD, repair the boot disk. Try running the 10.5.7 combo update.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I had this very problem 2 weeks ago with my April 2009 17" MBP. Wouldn't get past the login screen. Tried all the alternative startup options mentioned. Including starting up from an original Leopard disk. Didn't work. Refused to spit out the Leopard DVD. Startup from then on never got past the grey apple screen with the spinning cog anymore. Took it to the Apple repair centre on warranty. They diagnosed the HD had crashed. And it couldn't start up from the Leopard DVD as the data from the DVD and the HD both go to the motherboard through the same port. Which had been frozen by the crashed HD. So the data from the Leopard DVD (I could hear it spinning/reading for a bit) never got past that port and through to the CPU, thus preventing the startup process to complete. Forever.

So from where I sit it's probably your HD, fattat.

BTW, Apple replaced the HD under warranty with a brandnew one, which works like a charm again, and I had a good backup (Time Machine) restored to it in about one and a half hours. So it was an inconvenient weekend without MBP (had to revert to my iMacs), but everything was solved eventually. Without money changing hands! I'm typing this on that MBP.

Did I mention I was glad I always did "Secure Empty Trash" on that old HD? I recommend it as S.O.P. Because you never know when a third party will (need to) access it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Boot off the installation DVD, repair the boot disk. Repair permissions. Uninstall all Microsoft software in every partition you have. Reboot and voila!