MBP line update after SL release ...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think and really hope to see, an update of the MBP line in october, after the relase of Snow Leopard. I´m paciently waiting for a new uMBP 17" with antiglare screen, Nehalem i7 Clarksfield, 1 TB HDD, and GTX 260 or 280 1GB Video RAM to replace my 4 year old MBP.

\t

Don´t you believe it would be a wonderful MBP that would allow us to work on the road editing video, manipulating images in the way that we deserve?

\t

I think a MBP with these characteristics and according to what we know about Snow Leopard, will give us the performance that Apple owes us as we are faithful users.

The problem is that for some reason, we the loyal Apple users, get always the same thing, we have a beautiful design, an impressive OS and laptops well built, but in terms of technical details regarding the processor and video cards, we usually are relegate with respect to the supply available on PC market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tamarindo View Post

...laptops well built, but in terms of technical details regarding the processor and video cards, we usually are relegate with respect to the supply available on PC market.

As a previously more so, but presently less so loyal Apple customer, I'll take year old tech for better build quality than Apple's recently sold me.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tamarindo View Post

I think and really hope to see, an update of the MBP line in october, after the relase of Snow Leopard. I´m paciently waiting for a new uMBP 17" with antiglare screen, Nehalem i7 Clarksfield, 1 TB HDD, and GTX 260 or 280 1GB Video RAM to replace my 4 year old MBP.

I wouldn't mind one like that myself but I also realize I won't be buying one even if it is available anytime soon. Will it come in October? It's a good question but I don't know Apples schedule, it would mean a brand new motherboard after the last one lasted about six months. The wrinkel here is that Intel is very close with 32nm parts and it would make sense to wait for them.

Quote:

\t

Don´t you believe it would be a wonderful MBP that would allow us to work on the road editing video, manipulating images in the way that we deserve?

You must have voted for Obama, but let me be straight you don't deserve anything. Really you don't and until you understand that you can't move forward. Apple can only deliver what technology and economics allows.

Quote:

\t

I think a MBP with these characteristics and according to what we know about Snow Leopard, will give us the performance that Apple owes us as we are faithful users.

I've written things in the past that caused me to wonder if I was tired past coherent. The above is different though because it repeats the theme of entitlement. Apple doesn't owe you anything - period. Would it be nice to have vastly mote powerful MBPs - yes but Apple doesn't owe you anything. Apple could drop out of the computer market tomorrow if the wanted to.

Quote:

The problem is that for some reason, we the loyal Apple users, get always the same thing, we have a beautiful design, an impressive OS and laptops well built, but in terms of technical details regarding the processor and video cards, we usually are relegate with respect to the supply available on PC market.

Feeling exploited now? The answer there is to go elsewhere for your computing needs. As to well built Apple hardware I really wish that was the case, but Apple is slipping here. At least on iPhone they are.

This is an issue of physical quality but they do need to pay more attention to software quality. IPhone OS has that feeling lately of being something built to a short deadline. In general my early 2008 MBP is far better hardware but it wasn't delivered perfect either. So if the new MBPs got delayed by three months to assure far better quality I would like that very much.

Again you express things in terms of entitlements. That is sad and is no way to turn people opinion in your direction. Instead of being loyal be open to new perspectives and ideas. Be critically of things that really make a difference, one or two odd configuration parametters don't make a difference.

It should also be noted that Apples slowness to embrace the latest tech has likely saved them and their customers countless hours of grief. By doing so they avoid many of the teething problems as new generation components are introduced. A recent example would be the issues with high capacity disks. Frankly I'd trust Apples decisions about when to deliver specific tech more than just about any vendor. Even so their focus on quality needs to sharpen.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 18
    The next GPU update in the MBP will probably be the GTS 250M or, more likely, it's midrange counterpart in the upcoming GeForce 300 series (a hypothetical GTS 350M). Apple likes to stick with the same laptop GPU through at least two updates; we're currently in the second MBP rev to use the 9600M GT.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    thecthec Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I wouldn't mind one like that myself but I also realize I won't be buying one even if it is available anytime soon. Will it come in October? It's a good question but I don't know Apples schedule, it would mean a brand new motherboard after the last one lasted about six months. The wrinkel here is that Intel is very close with 32nm parts and it would make sense to wait for them.

You must have voted for Obama, but let me be straight you don't deserve anything. Really you don't and until you understand that you can't move forward. Apple can only deliver what technology and economics allows.

I've written things in the past that caused me to wonder if I was tired past coherent. The above is different though because it repeats the theme of entitlement. Apple doesn't owe you anything - period. Would it be nice to have vastly mote powerful MBPs - yes but Apple doesn't owe you anything. Apple could drop out of the computer market tomorrow if the wanted to.

Feeling exploited now? The answer there is to go elsewhere for your computing needs. As to well built Apple hardware I really wish that was the case, but Apple is slipping here. At least on iPhone they are.

This is an issue of physical quality but they do need to pay more attention to software quality. IPhone OS has that feeling lately of being something built to a short deadline. In general my early 2008 MBP is far better hardware but it wasn't delivered perfect either. So if the new MBPs got delayed by three months to assure far better quality I would like that very much.

Again you express things in terms of entitlements. That is sad and is no way to turn people opinion in your direction. Instead of being loyal be open to new perspectives and ideas. Be critically of things that really make a difference, one or two odd configuration parametters don't make a difference.

It should also be noted that Apples slowness to embrace the latest tech has likely saved them and their customers countless hours of grief. By doing so they avoid many of the teething problems as new generation components are introduced. A recent example would be the issues with high capacity disks. Frankly I'd trust Apples decisions about when to deliver specific tech more than just about any vendor. Even so their focus on quality needs to sharpen.

Dave

Wow !!!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Dave

Thanks for your answer, Dave.

You have really good points, I just felt a little bit exploit about the lack of harware quality lately.

I also agree with you about the iphone OS.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    dougcdougc Posts: 29member
    Well Said Dave!

I must say its refreshing to see this reasoned perspective on things. I agree with you also that Apple does tend to take a prudent approach to what hardware they adopt. Prudence is a trait I wish our current administration would adopt, instead they look at history and do the opposite of what worked and do more of what didn't.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Who cares if he voted for Obama? Wouldn't it be wonderful to discuss Future Hardware without getting into politics? I think we are *entitled* to that
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougc View Post

Well Said Dave!

I must say its refreshing to see this reasoned perspective on things. I agree with you also that Apple does tend to take a prudent approach to what hardware they adopt. Prudence is a trait I wish our current administration would adopt, instead they look at history and do the opposite of what worked and do more of what didn't.

Apple still gets caught with crap components from time to time, GPUs being the latest example. On the whole though they work at making sure the parts going in are stable. Apple also backs up it's hardware better than anybody else in my opinion.

That support is very important in Peoples perception that Apple is a solid company to deal with. It leaves people with the feeling they are working with an ethical business.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garyp View Post

Who cares if he voted for Obama?

You should always care, voting is the most important thing we do as Americans.

Quote:

Wouldn't it be wonderful to discuss Future Hardware without getting into politics? I think we are *entitled* to that

My response really had nothing to do with politics if you understand what was said. In general it addresses the general attitude or mood in this country of entittlements. Unless you pay good money up front no one is entittled to have something manufactured for them.

Now there are all sorts of stuff that I'd like to see manufactured by Apple, both Mac and iPod related. There is a big difference between saying I'd like to see something come out of Apple and saying they owe us. XMac, a machine midway between a Mini and a Pro is one example.

One can argue that it is pretty stupid of Apple to ignore the XMac segment of the market based on the perception of need or demand. You can't however say they owe us an XMac. They don't owe us anything. Apple has the offerings it has at anyone time and it is up to them to market those products and keep the company successful.

In any event the current spirit of entittlements, in the country, is a grossly negative force. It is bad for us as a country and it is bad for us as Mac users. The last thing Apple needs is to have it's management vision corrupted by outside influences driven by the idea that Apple owes them something as individuals.

The last round of laptop upgrades are a perfect example of Apple doing what it does best. That is innovating while at the same time keeping an eye on consumer and industry trends. They are really impressive machines and are rightfully selling like hot cakes. Now I could daily suggest that Apple continue to innovate by getting rid of the optical drive and reconfiguring the insides for multiple storage devices. I'd like such a machine and I'm sure others would too. But Apple doesn't owe me or anybody else such a model. Indeed to offer such a model with out a large enough market is pretty stupid.

In a nutshell I don't want Apple to do something stupid because they thought they needed to service the needs of individuals that think Apple owes them.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 18
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

The last thing Apple needs is to have it's management vision corrupted by outside influences driven by the idea that Apple owes them something

You're totally right. I think the point you bring it out is so very important. We are treading into dangerous waters as a country right now. The path we are on right now rewards failure and punishes success. The first step toward failure is trying to please all of the people all of the time. Another step toward failure would be arrogance. Neither trait right now is present in any great supply at Apple. The success they've had in recent years proves this.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

My response really had nothing to do with politics if you understand what was said. In general it addresses the general attitude or mood in this country of entittlements. Unless you pay good money up front no one is entittled to have something manufactured for them.

Dave

I think you were a bit of a jackass in your response.

The question seems to have come from someone who didn't learn English as his first language. His use of "being owed" something seemed rather innocent and not at all a deep cry of entitlement.

Get off your high horse.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I would agree. Apple owes us "Built quality and reliability" which their brand in the market has set that expectation for a long time. It is their reputation, if you like. It takes effort to deliver that rather than be ultra conservative and might I say "boring" in cases of product refreshes.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

As a previously more so, but presently less so loyal Apple customer, I'll take year old tech for better build quality than Apple's recently sold me.

I believe Apple can give us both. It's up to them.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nightjar2 View Post

I think you were a bit of a jackass in your response.

The question seems to have come from someone who didn't learn English as his first language. His use of "being owed" something seemed rather innocent and not at all a deep cry of entitlement.

Get off your high horse.

Horse? I thought donkey?
  • Reply 15 of 18

Kindly ignore the f word.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I am about to be going off to college and i currently have an ibookg4 running leopard. I definitely need a new computer for college. If i buy a new mbp before september 8th i can get a free ipod with my purchase. If i wait until after sept 8th my mbp will come with sl already loaded on it. Is there a benefit to waiting for the computer to come loaded with sl versus upgrading from leopard? Does anyone think that apple will release any slightly newer mbp's with the release of sl? when do we think sl will even be released? sorry about so many questions, im just curious.

JM
  • Reply 17 of 18
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    With the announcement that Toshiba is going to start making blu-ray players & laptops with

blu-ray drives, hopefully it will be the kick in the pants that Apple needs to start putting them in

Macbook Pros.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Apple doesn't owe us anything other than products and services which we've already paid for.

Quote:

Intel is very close with 32nm parts and it would make sense to wait for them.

The latest news/rumours is that Intel will demonstrate the 32nm parts at CES in January. I cannot imagine Apple releasing much other than a minor speedbump, if that, before the 32nm-based MBPs are released.

Personally, I'm waiting for a MacBook Air with a 32nm Arrandale processor and 4GB of ram.