Annoying >>>>> in e-mails

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there a way to delete those annoying arrows down the left side of some e-mails?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Is there a way to delete those annoying arrows down the left side of some e-mails?

I say to you, Non, Sequitur.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by houseley View Post

I say to you, Non, Sequitur.

Very punny, Housely, but I "don't follow" your logic.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    The answer is "no". It's due to retarded people who don't know how to forward emails properly.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    Sometimes I copy and paste the text into a text editor, use the search and replace function to search for > and replace it with nothing, and then paste back in to the reply. Takes a bit of time, but it works.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Quote:

There used to be a stand-alone spell checker called Spell Tools that also had several other tricks up its sleeves, including removal of those "carrots". Also, a clipboard extender called CopyPaste which did that as well. This was back in the days before OSX. I know the latter was updated, but don't know if it retains that function.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The answer is "no". It's due to retarded people who don't know how to forward emails properly.

No. The ">" character has nothing to do with the mental agility of the sender. It is a standard character in plain text email to denote the generation of copied messages. Each ">" denotes one generation per line.

If you don't like them, then there are workarounds to avoid the ">" characters.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

No. The ">" character has nothing to do with the mental agility of the sender. It is a standard character in plain text email to denote the generation of copied messages. Each ">" denotes one generation per line.

If you don't like them, then there are workarounds to avoid the ">" characters.

How do you avoid them when sending a message forward?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Copy & Paste.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Copy & Paste.

But many people appear not to possess the mental agility required for such a complex maneuver.

If that spam is important enough to forward to your entire address book, then you can take the time to format it properly before you hit "send".
  • Reply 10 of 10
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Quote:

You can ignore my post (#6) if you like, but CopyPaste will do what you want:

Text Tools

Remove all eMail Quotes - removes all levels of the quoting that are found in some eMail messages.

Add One eMail Quote Level - wraps not quoted lines to no more than 60 characters, and preceeds them with the ">" quote, or adds another level of quote to a message.

Word Wrapping and Indentation - wraps lines to no more than 60 characters, and preceeds them with five spaces.

Clean and Unwrap Text - removes all HTML tags, interpretes HTML special characters, removes double spaces, unwraps lines exept for lists, and interpretes indentation and blank lines as new paragraphs.

Remove Styles - removes the style information, like bold, italic, as well as other character formatting from text.

Lowercase - will lower case all the selected text.

Uppercase - will UPPER CASE ALL THE SELECTED TEXT.

Capitalize Words - will "Capitalize All Words In A Selected Sentence".