Google chief steps down from Apple's Board of Directors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As Google continues to encroach on Apple's businesses with Android and Chrome OS, the company's CEO, Eric Schmidt, has resigned from the Apple Board of Directors, it was announced Monday.

Schmidt has served on the board since August of 2006. Speculation arose earlier this month that the unveiling of Google's new operating system, Chrome OS, might force the company's chief executive to resign. Monday, that prediction came true.

"Eric has been an excellent Board member for Apple, investing his valuable time, talent, passion and wisdom to help make Apple successful," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Unfortunately, as Google enters more of Apple's core businesses, with Android and now Chrome OS, Eric's effectiveness as an Apple Board member will be significantly diminished, since he will have to recuse himself from even larger portions of our meetings due to potential conflicts of interest. Therefore, we have mutually decided that now is the right time for Eric to resign his position on Apple's Board."

Tension between Google and Apple developed last week, when Apple rejected the Google-developed Voice application from the iPhone App Store. Apple also began pulling third-party Voice applications. As a result, Apple and Google, along with AT&T, are currently the subjects of an investigation by the Federal Communications Commission.

Schmidt already had to recuse himself from board meetings that involved iPhone plans, many of which would clash with Google's own attempts to promote its Android mobile operating system. Though the Google executive was adamant that the two companies don't occupy the same markets, the Federal Trade Commission has been investigating the Apple-Google link for a possible violation of antitrust laws through unfair collaboration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    About time, shit is flying from all directions, his position is untenable.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    jetsetjetset Posts: 18member
    This was bound to happen sooner rather than later with Google's Android and Chrome OS being direct competition to Apple's iPhone OS and Mac OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Did it finally take the FCC letter to motivate everyone involved to see this happen? I like Eric, I like Google and Apple in bed together, but it just can't be that close when both companies are doing the same thing even though they get along.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Awww it's on now!!!
  • Reply 5 of 40
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    shame really. But inevitable, and probably sensible. I still hope they can keep that 'special relationship' alive.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

shame really. But inevitable, and probably sensible. I still hope they can keep that 'special relationship' alive.

It would make sense for then too after all they now have to battle Microsoft and Yahoo. It makes more sense if they do it as close friends.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    I've been using Google for ten years, but I'm getting worried about their expansion, because the areas in which they're going are needless and fracture the eco system. Whatever we say about Microsoft, at least you know where you stand - you can keep your Word documents on your own HDD and open them with just about any application. I have no idea how far Google will go. Anyone think you'll be able to run Firefox or Safari on Google OS? Or Silverlight for Netflix etc?

Google has been my home page since 1998; I'm just not sure anymore.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Who will replace him?

Tim Cook? or an outsider?
  • Reply 9 of 40
    zmaczmac Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Who will replace him?

Tim Cook? or an outsider?

Tim Cook, for sure!
  • Reply 10 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    It's about time. The joke has been on us for a while. The conflict of interest has existed for months if not longer.

Maybe well get REALLy lucky and someone who does not work closely with Obama for the further

control of American lives, will gain control of Google.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Anyone think maybe, just maybe Apple blocked Google Voice apps precisely because of Schmidt's position on Apple's Board, which could have given AT&T the ability to claim collusion?

Naw, it's just Apple being evil against its close partner Google, even though Apple has zero skin in either the cellular service or VOIP markets.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I've been using Google for ten years, but I'm getting worried about their expansion, because the areas in which they're going are needless and fracture the eco system. Whatever we say about Microsoft, at least you know where you stand - you can keep your Word documents on your own HDD and open them with just about any application. I have no idea how far Google will go. Anyone think you'll be able to run Firefox or Safari on Google OS? Or Silverlight for Netflix etc?

I think you can relax dude. Seriously, if you're worried about anything like this, you're investing too much emotion into it. Your life will be fine, just chillax
  • Reply 13 of 40
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Anyone think maybe, just maybe Apple blocked Google Voice apps precisely because of Schmidt's position on Apple's Board, which could have given AT&T the ability to claim collusion?

Naw, it's just Apple being evil against its close partner Google, even though Apple has zero skin in either the cellular service or VOIP markets.

AT&T so far has claimed it has absolutely no involvement in the app approval process.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/31/f...le-voices-iph/

"AT&T spokesman Brad Mays has sent us a statement denying any involvement in the app store process: "AT&T does not manage or approve applications for the App Store. We have received the letter and will, of course, respond to it," he says. That said, its involvement in Slingbox's rejection certainly does raise some eyebrows here."
  • Reply 14 of 40
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

really doesn't matter since tech changes very fast. I remember 10 years ago everyone thought MS was going to rule the world. Then tech changed to "cloud" and mobile computing and MS is a big laggard. they were one of the first in mobile computing but failed to do it right with Bill Gates trying to replicate the PC experience on the cell phone. It took Apple and RIM to show them that people only want a subset of features and they want them to work easly.

now that everyone is going on about "cloud computing" i think we're close to having the cycle change again. Apple's rumored tablet seems to fit some needs that Google doesn't. Right now a lot of people get DVD players installed in cars and have to take a stack of discs on the road. Apple tablet is a nice alternative.

cell network bandwidth is about to explode like it did from the late 1990's to now and you can now carry around days of content with you and update it anywhere you have a cell/wifi connection

google's biggest problem is that it's easy to migrate to other services. a lot easier than migrating from a PC to a Mac. and the Apple/Palm/RIM model works better than the Google/WinMo model of going through third parties to design most of your cell phone. HTC doesn't care if they use WinMo or Android or some other OS and they won't care about your branding like Apple does about the iPhone's branding.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

AT&T so far has claimed it has absolutely no involvement in the app approval process.

"AT&T spokesman Brad Mays has sent us a statement denying any involvement in the app store process: "AT&T does not manage or approve applications for the App Store. We have received the letter and will, of course, respond to it," he says. That said, its involvement in Slingbox's rejection certainly does raise some eyebrows here."

AT&T does not manage or approve applications for the App Store directly, which is Apple's job, but it's dubious that it has absolutely no involvement in the app approval process.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

I think you can relax dude. Seriously, if you're worried about anything like this, you're investing too much emotion into it. Your life will be fine, just chillax

It doesn't affect my meditation, sex-life or how I treat my team at work... So not worried to that extent...

...but some people I know are extremely heavily invested in Google and it doesn't seem easy to untangle yourself. My wife tracks all her invoice time-sheets on Google Docs (she's a freelance writer) plus all her email correspondance on Gmail (she never uses a local client to read them, all cloud). She also has a stock portfolio stored on her Google Finance home page.

Personally I don't want my data on the cloud, I want it on my USB drive and HDD... 'cos I am paranoid enough to think Google might very well not have my best interests at heart.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    This guy stole a lot Apple secrets and should be tried for industrial espionage.

His replacement should be from the trucking industry, no more tech CEOs for Apple!

Enough is enough!
  • Reply 18 of 40
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Yep, I saw that report. Considering the bolded sentence contradicts the underlined one, I'll be waiting for the response Mr. Mays alluded to.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Google is gonna overtake the world lol

WOOT WOOT!!!
  • Reply 20 of 40
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Maybe well get REALLy lucky and someone who does not work closely with Obama for the further

control of American lives, will gain control of Google.

How would this news mean anyone would gain control of Google? This is the Apple board, not the Google board. Is your tinfoilhat on right?