Amazon offers Apple Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard pre-order

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Snow Leopard, the latest update to Apple's Mac OS X operating system, is now available for pre-order from Amazon, in anticipation of its upcoming September release.

As expected, Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard is priced at $29 for the single user license and $49 for the five-license family pack. The upgrade prices are available for users of the current version of Mac OS X, 10.5 Leopard. Snow Leopard will only be available for Mac users on Intel-based computers.

Also available is Mac OS X Server 10.6 Snow Leopard. Priced at $499, Leopard Server is said to be the most significant improvement to the server operating system since Mac OS X Server was launched. Amazon is also selling box sets with Snow Leopard, featuring the OS, iWork and iLife for $169 and the five-license family pack, iWork and iLife for $229.

To create Snow Leopard, Apple said its engineers focused on refining 90 percent of the more than 1,000 projects in Mac OS X. New features include:

A more responsive Finder

Mail that loads messages 85 percent faster and conducts searches up to 90 percent faster

Time Machine with up to 50 percent faster initial backup

A Dock with Expose integration

A 64-bit version of Safari 4 that boosts the performance of the Nitro JavaScript engine by up to 50 percent and is resistant to crashes caused by plug-ins.

The all new QuickTime X, with a redesigned player that allows users to easily view, record, trim and share video to YouTube, MobileMe or iTunes.

Half the size of the previous version and frees up to 6GB of drive space once installed.

For the first time, system applications -- including Finder, Mail, iCal, iChat and Safari -- are 64-bit, and Snow Leopard's support for 64-bit processors makes use of large amounts of RAM, increases performance, and improves security while remaining compatible with 32-bit applications.

With the Snow Leopard Up-to-Date program, many customers who bought an Apple computer this summer will qualify for an even cheaper upgrade. Customers who purchase a qualifying new Mac or a qualifying Apple Certified Refurbished computer on or after June 8, 2009 that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard can upgrade to Snow Leopard for $9.95 plus tax. To participate, your completed order form must be postmarked or faxed within 90 days of the date of your purchase of the qualifying Mac or by December 26, 2009, whichever is earlier.

For more on Apple's upcoming operating system, read AppleInsider's extensive Road to Snow Leopard series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Some (many) Mac users I know don't know whether they have Tiger or Leopard or what. I'm sure the upgrade version will cause confusion and returns.

But personally I can't wait. Perhaps there were multiple motivations behind the Snow Leopard improvements - such as making OS X as efficient as possible for the new Tablet maybe. But as a Mac user I am happy to be the beneficiary also!
  • Reply 2 of 67
    I believe that 10.7 will only run on 64-bit Intel chips. Also, I wouldn't put it past Apple to start deprecating Carbon, since by 10.6 they will be eating their own dog food (no more Carbon apps distributed by Apple).

Exciting times!
  • Reply 3 of 67
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I believe that 10.7 will only run on 64-bit Intel chips. Also, I wouldn't put it past Apple to start deprecating Carbon, since by 10.6 they will be eating their own dog food (no more Carbon apps distributed by Apple).

Exciting times!

Except for that little app called iTunes...
  • Reply 4 of 67
    I hope we get a release date sooner than the September iPod event. I'm hoping there'll be a new version of iTunes announced at said event as well to round things out to 64bit.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Hmmm I can't preorder in the UK, I have signed up to be notified of it's release but could find no preorder option.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Except for that little app called iTunes...

Well, the first question of mind is how does one track which apps are Carbon and which are Cocoa, since I doubt you can do "About" to find out what framework one is written in versus the other.

Still, it makes sense since iTunes needs to be compatible with previous versions of OS X, and has a massive code base that was originally acquired from a third party product.

I googled, and all I could find of relevance was this:

http://sprinkleofcocoa.blogspot.com/...not-cocoa.html

Quote:

A quick look through the application's bundle shows all the signs of a product still deeply welded to Carbon.

That was from 11 months ago, but I doubt a whole lot has changed since then, unless Apple has a Cocoa version of iTunes in their R&D lab somewhere.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    Hurry, i want them to release it soon so I can buy a new laptop!!
  • Reply 8 of 67
    So how will this $29 update work? Will they follow the Volish method of having Leopard on the machine already and upgrade only, or can we do a full wipe and load? I hope we can wipe and load, but it wouldn't surprise me if we had to have Leopard first and then upgrade.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also available is Mac OS X Server 10.6 Snow Leopard. Priced at $499, Leopard Server is said to be the most significant improvement to the server operating system since Mac OS X Server was launched.

I think the real story here is that Apple slashed the price of their server software in HALF!

A 10-client license used to cost $499 and unlimited clients $999.

So for $599 for a Mac mini and $499 for OS X Server...you've got a sweet little server.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So how will this $29 update work? Will they follow the Volish method of having Leopard on the machine already and upgrade only, or can we do a full wipe and load? I hope we can wipe and load, but it wouldn't surprise me if we had to have Leopard first and then upgrade.

As long as you have the original Leopard install disks you can do it either way. Otherwise you would never be able to do a fresh install.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As long as you have the original Leopard install disks you can do it either way

Why would one need the original Leopard install disks? If you have Leopard installed on your machine, it's just gonna be an upgrade to 10.6
  • Reply 12 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Well, the first question of mind is how does one track which apps are Carbon and which are Cocoa, since I doubt you can do "About" to find out what framework one is written in versus the other.

Still, it makes sense since iTunes needs to be compatible with previous versions of OS X, and has a massive code base that was originally acquired from a third party product.

I googled, and all I could find of relevance was this:

http://sprinkleofcocoa.blogspot.com/...not-cocoa.html

That was from 11 months ago, but I doubt a whole lot has changed since then, unless Apple has a Cocoa version of iTunes in their R&D lab somewhere.

Considering how iTunes basically affects much of the things that we do today and undoubtedly will do more tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar that iTunes is being re-worked to take advantage of the faster processor.

Apple has never sat back on its laurels before, I don't expect their strategy to change.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Why would one need the original Leopard install disks? If you have Leopard installed on your machine, it's just gonna be an upgrade to 10.6

An if your hard drive crashes and you have to replace it, just how would you suggest we do it?

P.S. How did you originally install Leopard. If you bought a new Mac and it came with Leopard installed you were supplied with an install disk.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

An if your hard drive crashes and you have to replace it, just how would you suggest we do it?

You're clever enough to recognise the risk of a HD crash but not smart enough to have backups including a clone of your HD?
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Hmmm I can't preorder in the UK, I have signed up to be notified of it's release but could find no preorder option.

I'm English and live in France there's no pre-order available here either. Actually it is worse than that, the reduced price for existing Leopard Owners offer is not available here or in the UK or in any other country except the US. Is this another example of Apple making special offers only available to Americans while the rest of us have to pay in full to subsidise the USA? Are you watching Apple (Steve Jobs even!) you have loyal customers outside America, treat them properly, we count as well.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Is there no Snow Leopard, non-upgrade package? The only thing I see is the Mac Pack. What if I have Tiger but don't want the iLife or iWork apps?

-kpluck
  • Reply 17 of 67
    I thought there was no 64-bit version of Flash player? So does/can the 64-bit version of Safari run the 32-bit flash player?

-Kevin
  • Reply 18 of 67
    I am just saying that Apple better not have the Volish stupidity to say we have to have Leopard installed first if we want to install SL. I doubt they will, but you never know.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    You can currently buy the box set for $169. That gets you OS X Leopard regularly $129 and i Works and iLife both regularly $79. That is a savings of $118. This offer with Snow Leopard which will cost $29 is a savings of $18. Still a savings but clearly a money maker for Amazon. I think I will wait and see what Apple offers upon release.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by passat2.1 View Post

I'm English and live in France there's no pre-order available here either. Actually it is worse than that, the reduced price for existing Leopard Owners offer is not available here or in the UK or in any other country except the US. Is this another example of Apple making special offers only available to Americans while the rest of us have to pay in full to subsidise the USA? Are you watching Apple (Steve Jobs even!) you have loyal customers outside America, treat them properly, we count as well.

Yeah, you count, but you don't count in good ol' American English. All of that funny lookin' colorful money. Apple should charge you more just for hurting our eyes! What's that? A picture of The Little Prince on your money? Have you ever seen Superman on a dollar bill? Nobody will ever respect your currency unless you have frumpy old men in wigs on it. Good luck with that whole queen thing. Put a wig on your prince and maybe we'll talk. No wonder you joined the EU and put architectural temples on your money; you haven't got a prayer.

Just teasing, btw.