Using Mac OS X install disk with other Macs?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there anyway to extract Mac OS X 10.5.6 from a MacPro 2.8 GHz Quad for use on other Apple systems or is the installation disk computer specific?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcrossley View Post

Is there anyway to extract Mac OS X 10.5.6 from a MacPro 2.8 GHz Quad for use on other Apple systems or is the installation disk computer specific?

You clearly know the answer to your question already. Otherwise, you won't not have asked it in this way. This disc is called System Restore because that it is designed and intended to restore a specific model Mac to its as-shipped state. Buy a retail version of Leopard if you want to install the OS on a computer that shipped with an older OS.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You clearly know the answer to your question already. Otherwise, you won't not have asked it in this way. This disc is called System Restore because that it is designed and intended to restore a specific model Mac to its as-shipped state. Buy a retail version of Leopard if you want to install the OS on a computer that shipped with an older OS.

Yeah, I know the answer, but after purchasing nearly $6,000 worth of Apple computers over the past year, I kinda needed a break. Plus the Mac I want to update is a QuickSilver G4. Almost does justify the expense.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    HAHAHA...

You can afford $6000 in hardware, but can't fork over $129 for a bit of software ???

That's kinda like an Enzo owner complaining about the price of gasoline!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooja222 View Post

Disk Utility can't directly erase or format a startup disk, because Disk Utility, and all of the system functions it uses, is located on that disk. If Disk Utility tried to erase the startup disk, it would at some point erase itself, which could present a bit of a problem. To get around this problem, use Disk Utility from a source other than the startup disk. One option is your OS X Install DVD, which includes Disk Utility.

(no message)