Report: Netflix streaming video headed to iPhone, Wii

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple has accepted other media services tha compete directly with iTunes. All of the music streaming and radio apps directly compete with iTunes.

As I said before AT&T cannot block http streaming video. Even if Apple rejected a native Netflix app. Apple provides development tools that allow Netflix to make a web app that looks and feels exactly like a native app. There would be nothing Apple or AT&T could do to stop people from streaming movies using 3G.

Using your phone in general depletes your battery. That won't be a reason for people to not stream video. The iPhone can use WiFi for 5 hours and play video for 10 hours. You should easily get two movies out of one charge.

If/once Netflix and Hulu are on the iPhone. People will use them in huge numbers. Which is AT&T's nightmare.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I think this rumor is unlikely. Not only because it competes directly with iTunes, but also because it's kind if pointless.

Think about it - no 3G support from AT&T means you'd be limited to WiFi, and you need a good connection as well, at least 1 - 2 mbps constant, even for the iPhone screen. Not something you'd get at your local 'free wi-fi' Mall. So you'll be using it at home then.

Oh, and streaming WiFi video, not exactly battery friendly, so it'll be plugged in then,

Ah... so how many people will use their iPhone to stream netflicks at home, as opposed to their computer or Xbox?

Exactly...

• Reply 42 of 89
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I am firmly in the camp of "It's never going to happen!"

Also, I never want to see Flash on the iPhone. I want Flash dead! It is bad, even on the computer. I want to see it replaced with something much more optimized for the hardware that people actually have as opposed to octal-core monsters. We all need to break our dependency on Flash. The world would be a better place.
  • Reply 43 of 89
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Another person that didn't bother to read the article.

iread it iread it

net flix rocks

and will soon come to iphone over wifi
  • Reply 44 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

If AT&T allows this to go thru, then everybody will be allowed. And if that happens, making phone calls or using internet will become a headache, just like cable is a headache.

Video streaming should NOT be allowed on the iPhone. If you want to watch movie, stay your ass at home. There is already enough distractions on the road. No damn video streaming.

sorry its already going on .

sex

i mean

i stream hulu/netflix all over nyc
  • Reply 45 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longterm View Post

Can anyonea say, "Nobody cares?" Looked at Motorola's cell phone marketshare lately?

Yes, and as patheitc RAZR is iy has taken the #2 spot for World Sale.

We are in a recession that why Apple is lowering their prices and cutting costs to try and keep their same margin.

So now can you say RAZR? Dumb phonrece that does copy and paste and has voice dialing for the last ten years.

The recession may noy have hit you anr me yet but I would guess it will, RAZR will look great with your unibory laptopl
  • Reply 46 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple has accepted other media services tha compete directly with iTunes. All of the music streaming and radio apps directly compete with iTunes.

As I said before AT&T cannot block http streaming video. Even if Apple rejected a native N.

Yet they allow no Video. It's going to be another 5 years of battles and on this one Everyone in the market has beat Apple to the game.

Steve's skinnky ass will be rolling in the grave before this one happens.

Give Tim Cook a board seat and things will change. He's youg (or looks 90 years younfet than Steve).

He is the man now.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Yes, and as patheitc RAZR is iy has taken the #2 spot for World Sale.

We are in a recession that why Apple is lowering their prices and cutting costs to try and keep their same margin.

So now can you say RAZR? Dumb phonrece that does copy and paste and has voice dialing for the last ten years.

The recession may noy have hit you anr me yet but I would guess it will, RAZR will look great with your unibory laptopl

You are so random.
  • Reply 48 of 89
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I'm certainly all for getting rid of Microsoft's version of DRM and the necessity for Silverlight on a Mac, but what would Netflix use instead? They can't simply stream everything out unprotected, as people would simply make copies of everything.

I'm not saying it's right, but do you really think that all those millions of subscribers don't already copy what they rent?

Just sayin'
  • Reply 49 of 89
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Joost, TV.com, iPlayer. Stop while you are behind.

Quote:

Yet they allow no Video. It's going to be another 5 years of battles and on this one Everyone in the market has beat Apple to the game.

Steve's skinnky ass will be rolling in the grave before this one happens.

Give Tim Cook a board seat and things will change. He's youg (or looks 90 years younfet than Steve).

He is the man now.

• Reply 50 of 89
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Apple needs to embrace a subscription-based IPTV service. Imagine an Apple TV in every home!
  • Reply 51 of 89
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I know there are people who would like Flash on the iPhone but it runs like crap on a cellphone (and a Mac). If you don't believe me read Engadget's review of the HTC Hero. They have a video of it running Flash and looks like he watching a flipbook. He even called it unbearable.

Flash runs like crap on a MAc?

Hmmm- not on mine.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Hmmm- not on mine.

When I play a show from Hulu on my mac mini it stutters somewhat. When I boot that mac into windows and play the same show it is much smoother. That suggests to me that all things being equal the windows version of flash is better optimized.
  • Reply 53 of 89
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

Given Apple & AT&T's reluctance to allow Slingbox (Streaming Video) I don't see this ever happening.

Apple wants you to use iTunes and nothing else for revenue reasons (even as lousy as there HD is). You are in a closed Apple World. That is why my next phone will not be an iPhone.

Edit. Not to mention the fact that Netflix uses Windows DRM. Yeah, like Jobs would allow that on the iPhone.

It would be like saying... Nobody is really using iTunes so we will use Microsoft's DRM on the iPhone.

That is why we don't have Flash on the iPhone.

No Revenue to Apple means you are being kept in a closed Apple confined world.

Slingbox and Netflix streaming are two completely different things. Netflix can make a deal with AT&T to optimize the network traffic. Slingbox is a complete mess network wise.
  • Reply 54 of 89
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

"So Flash is kind of a big deal on new smartphones. The iPhone doesn't have it, the Pre doesn't have it, BlackBerry devices don't have it... but the Hero does. Unfortunately, in our testing, we found the inclusion actually hurts operation of the phone more than it helps. When browsing to a site heavy on Flash (there are many), the browser loading times were abysmal. Furthermore, trying to view videos in-window produced choppy, nearly unwatchable results. You may have a better experience with lighter kinds of content, but in our opinion the main reason to introduce Flash into a mobile environment is to allow for broader media viewing options, and in the current state of this Flash player, you're not really going to get much mileage out of it."

Engadget HTC Hero review

Hey! Your not supposed to point out that Apple was correct in refusing to put flash on the iPhone for performance reasons! Your only supposed to portray them as evil and vindictive and wanting to spoil everyone's fun!
  • Reply 55 of 89
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Oh, and streaming WiFi video, not exactly battery friendly, so it'll be plugged in then,

Ah... so how many people will use their iPhone to stream netflicks at home, as opposed to their computer or Xbox?

Assuming you need to have it plugged in to watch more than four hours, the home isn't the only place that has power jacks of any kind.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Hmmm- not on mine.

Crap may be an overstatement, bit Flash is pretty inefficient. I don't think it's just Macs, but Flash on Macs seems more CPU bound than the Windows version.
  • Reply 56 of 89
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Except have the app pulled like google voice

Another person who don't know what is the difference between web apps and native apps. Web apps are basically webpages optimized for the iPhone. Apple has no control over what you can visit on the internet.
  • Reply 57 of 89
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

When I play a show from Hulu on my mac mini it stutters somewhat. When I boot that mac into windows and play the same show it is much smoother. That suggests to me that all things being equal the windows version of flash is better optimized.

Agreed - it's never been a big secret that Flash works better on Windows. Flash 10 closed the gap, but not enough.

If you're on a 2.2 ghz C2D or better, you might never notice, but more modest hardware can suffer. Even my 2ghz 2006 CoreDuo shows minor lag on Hulu like your mini, on a screen resolution of 1650x1050 - in Windows, this doesn't happen.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Assuming you need to have it plugged in to watch more than four hours, the home isn't the only place that has power jacks of any kind.

I wasn't talking only about power requirements, it's the whole package. You need power as well as a constant steady connection. Even if Netflix used HTLM streaming (doubtful, as it could be easily cracked on a PC pointing at the same stream), AT&Ts dodgy 3G would have to keep up with the data requirement. Not likely - I barely get 100kbps on 3G in NYC (I just did a test now on 3G and got 0.08 Mbps on 3G download.

It'd be interesting to get it, but you have to wonder how practical it this would be on a mobile device. City-wide roaming broadband wireless is a long way from being a reality, so we're either stuck with this at home, or netflix will have to stream video over 80kbps.
  • Reply 59 of 89
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:

Because of Apple. No other reason. They gain no revenue so you are screwed into paying for their POS Video which can't even be compared with 720p. It looks more like VHS.

The bigger problem with TV and movies from iTunes is availability, and I suspect Apple is working day and night bend the studios on that.

I want iTunes to be a Comcast/Netflix killer, and that's not going to happen until:

1. I can get all (or most) of the TV shows I want to watch for a monthly subscription price -- outrageously expensive would be fine because cable is already outrageously expensive, and competition will drive down the price over time -- for Apple TV, computer and iPhone. Include current season episodes in the plan and charge for catalog titles.

2. I can name 10 DVD new release and catalog movies and 9 of them are available on iTunes for $4-$6 for PPV for Apple TV, computer and iPhone.

3. Apple makes separate deals with CNN, MSNBC and Fox News for live, HD feeds for Apple TV -- even if I have to pay extra.

4. Apple works out arrangements with the networks, sports leagues, awards shows, etc., for live HD feeds for Apple TV -- even if I have to pay extra.

Cost should not be an issue. Make it ridiculously expensive if that's what it takes to put together a plan that will let me choose between iTunes and Comcast, and then competition will bring the two in line over time.
  • Reply 60 of 89
    munciemuncie Posts: 47member
    Anyone else been irritated by ubiquitous Netflix pop-ups? Irritated enough to boycott the service even if available on iPhone?