Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Why does this forum have Avatars turned off? It would add a bit more personality to the community here. The bland blue/gray color scheme with no avatars isn't very inviting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    +1. I think that avatars should be allowed for those who have posted above 250 posts, just like MacRumors.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    *crickets*

I don't think the admins read this section. Perhaps if we generated more interest, they'll take notice.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Yes! Avatars are good!
  • Reply 4 of 24
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Yes! Avatars are good!

I disagree
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

I disagree

Then you don't need to upload an avatar. It wouldn't be mandatory.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Then you don't need to upload an avatar. It wouldn't be mandatory.

But I would have all your highly 'creative' gifs flashing alongside the ad banners.

Take a look at the join date of the posters in this thread. Take a little more time before you start suggesting changing everything for us old geezers.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

But I would have all your highly 'creative' gifs flashing alongside the ad banners.

Take a look at the join date of the posters in this thread. Take a little more time before you start suggesting changing everything for us old geezers.

I've been reading AI for many years before joining the forum. Since when did seniority dictate who could make suggestions?

vBulletin software has an option that allows individual users to turn off all avatars so you don't have to look at them. You can maintain your avatar-less view while others can choose to see them.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

I've been reading AI for many years before joining the forum. Since when did seniority dictate who could make suggestions?

Hey relax! I didn't realise I had to insert a smiley to denote a bit of subtle humour.

If you feel happier with a cartoon under your forum name then knock yourself out.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    So, it's 3 for avatars, and one cranky geezer against.

I guess this won't be happening, so, you win Piot!

I give up.

Mods, please feel free to delete this entire thread.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

So, it's 3 for avatars, and one cranky geezer against.

I guess this won't be happening, so, you win Piot!

I give up.

Mods, please feel free to delete this entire thread.

I don't think of it as a win. You got one thing spot on though.. I am one cranky geezer!

Just for you.

• Reply 11 of 24
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Yes! Avatars are good!

I disagree.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

I don't think of it as a win. You got one thing spot on though.. I am one cranky geezer!

Just for you.

HA!! Well, I was just kidding, and glad you got the joke.

I just wish the design of this place wasn't so bland and boring and uninviting. Could this be perhaps why the forum isn't nearly as active as it could be, considering AI posts far better articles than I see on other more active rumors sites? Turning on Avatars would be a simple and fast way to add some personality to the forum. Pale blue-gray links on a pale blue-gray background are hard to read, not to mention the color-scheme reminds me of old government buildings which were painted with either slate blue or that weird green color in the 60s and 70s.

Alas, the admins who can make these improvements don't seem to be reading this forum anyway, so, it's all moot!
  • Reply 13 of 24

I know they can be "turned off", but what purpose do they even serve? Why waste bandwidth on them.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I know they can be "turned off", but what purpose do they even serve? Why waste bandwidth on them.

I've already explained this above in detail. I guess you find the avatars on Facebook or Myspace or just about every other forum or social network in existence annoying, too?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

... I guess you find the avatars on Facebook or Myspace or just about every other forum or social network in existence annoying, too?

pretty much, yep.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Avatars in general are complete arse. They invoke a "look at me" mentality that is just not needed. If they are ever implemented I would like to see a heavily regimented approach that weeds out epilepsy inducing eyesores.

-1 for avatars. If I lived in Florida or Ohio, - 28.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Avatars in general are complete arse. They invoke a "look at me" mentality that is just not needed. If they are ever implemented I would like to see a heavily regimented approach that weeds out epilepsy inducing eyesores.

-1 for avatars. If I lived in Florida or Ohio, - 28.

What?!... you don't enjoy checking out a forum to find that all the children have uploaded "goatse" as their avatar ???
  • Reply 18 of 24
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    AppleInsider is a class act. Please don't turn it into a junkyard with cutesy crap.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

AppleInsider is a class act...

Well... as long as you avoid "Political Outsider"
  • Reply 20 of 24
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

What?!... you don't enjoy checking out a forum to find that all the children have uploaded "goatse" as their avatar ???

Have to say I am more of a tub girl sort of a guy. However never invite me to a lemon party.