24" iMac Freezing Problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is my 1st post ever and I hope it is in the right place.

Background: I have owned my iMac for about 1.5 years maybe 2 (I really dont remember). I upgraded to Leopard about 4 months ago... machine still ran like a dream. My machine has run flawlessly until 2 days ago. I have not added any software in the last 2 months.

Problem: Computer would freeze up every 10-15 min when I was in the middle of somthing. After about a day of putting up with this, my machine restarted all on its own and when it was finished all of my user added programs on my Dock were gone and were replaced with the factory programs. The Safari icon was gone and replaced with horizontal static looking lines. The computer still freezes up every 10 to 15 mins and has rebooted on its own about 5 times (After a long freeze). I can still move the mouse around.

What I don't want to do: I Have way too much Music and Video. Reinstalling the OS is my last resort.

Request: If you are having this same problem please don't post. I'm looking for answers. You posting that you have a similar problem does not help me. Answers please!!! Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Ok, so after googling similar problems I went ahead and did the "Hold Down D" and "Reboot" test. After running a 47min Hardware Diagnostic... my Mac found the following error.

4HDD/11/40000004:SATA(0/0)

All I gotta say is... that can't be good. Time to google that now and see what that means exactly.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Now my computer wont get past the grey apple screen. Prior to this happening I noticed I didnt have problems if I used my mac in an Ice Cold Room and I didnt Play WoW.

But Now it wont get passed the Grey Apple Screen at start up... guess I'll have to take it in.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Seeing that it appears that my HD has failed... should I take it in to the apple store to get it fixed? How feasible would it be for me to replace the HD myself? I have never torn an imac apart before but I know I would be comfortable trying it out.

I bought my 24" iMac fall 2007 so I don't think I need to worry about warranties... i think.... Just wondering what everyone elses thoughts were.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If accurate, it is possible that the process of installing Leopard on older machines trashes the hard drives. Two of my hard drives were destroyed on PowerMacs when I installed and I had to have them both replaced with 500GB internal drives.

When I first reported this and simultaneously "threw a fit" I was verbally attacked when I suggested there was a flaw in Leopard. I'd like to see more evidence that others have had this same problem, but from where I sit I've seen it with my own eyes.

The genius at the Apple Store told me that my drives were "already on the edge" of giving out and the install of Leopard pushed it over the edge. This has always sounded like a lame excuse, and it was more his opinion than any official line from Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Uninstall MS Office and reboot. That should take care of the problem.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I never had MS office on my Mac. Then it got to the point where it would not load past teh grey apple screen.

Not sure what caused the problem but at this point I don't even care anymore.

I went to best buy... Bought a 1TB Seagate harddrive for $80... googled how to tear my mac apart... and installed the hard drive myself.

The process took 20 min and was easy to do. I reinstalled OS X Tiger and Leopard... now my computer works again.

Like I said... no idea what made my computer go nutz on me... but replacing the HD made it work again. On top of all of this... I feel liek a pro now!!! Cause I did all the labor myself!!!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orcgazmo View Post

I never had MS office on my Mac. Then it got to the point where it would not load past teh grey apple screen.

Not sure what caused the problem but at this point I don't even care anymore.

I went to best buy... Bought a 1TB Seagate harddrive for $80... googled how to tear my mac apart... and installed the hard drive myself.

The process took 20 min and was easy to do. I reinstalled OS X Tiger and Leopard... now my computer works again.

Like I said... no idea what made my computer go nutz on me... but replacing the HD made it work again. On top of all of this... I feel liek a pro now!!! Cause I did all the labor myself!!!

Good for you. If you stay away from microsoft you should have no problems in the future.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Hallo! I had the same problem and I changed hard disk three days ago. Now is wonderful!!! My iMac works super! without any problems. And the old hard disk I packaged as external in the box. It has same freeze problems.

My new disk is Samsung 1Tb for 80 Euro.

Regards from Munich. I wrote about this problem, but in Russian:

http://dushepoleznoe.chtenie.org/mac...oriya-mytarstv