Mystery device reference discovered again in iPhone OS 3.1

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A file in the latest iPhone OS 3.1 beta refers once again to an unknown product with a new model number, fueling speculation that Apple has a new touchscreen device based on its mobile operating system coming soon.

The reference to a device called "iProd 0,1" was first discovered in March in the iPhone 3.0 OS beta firmware. The latest beta update also includes a reference to iProd, but this time the USBConfiguration.plist file gives the product the "1,1" distinction -- something Apple typically uses to refer to its first-generation products.

The information, revealed to ArsTechnica by a developer, has led to speculation that a new, unannounced piece of hardware running the iPhone OS could be nearing launch.

The reference to iProd 1,1 has a product ID of 4762, while the original iProd 0,1 was model 4757. The new model also has references to Ethernet configurations, leading the report to suspect the supposed new device could have "gained high-speed networking capabilities" since the 0,1 hardware incarnation.

"What we are willing to bet on is that with a 1,1 moniker the product will see public release soon?perhaps as early as September, when Apple typically unveils new iPods," the report concludes.

When the original reference to iProd 0,1 was discovered, it was alongside a call to an iPhone 2,1 -- a device that turned out to be the new iPhone 3GS. They were discovered alongside iPod 2,2, iPod 3,1, and iPhone 3,1.

Apple always uses the first number in these device identifiers to refer to major revisions, the naming schemes allude to a second major reworking of the iPhone in testing at Apple as well as a minor revision of the current iPod touch and a third-generation overhaul. The original iPhone is seen as iPhone 1,1, while the iPhone 3G appears as iPhone 1,2 -- a minor upgrade to an existing design. The first- and second-generation iPod touch show as 1,1 and 2,1 respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I knew I should have bought a Mac Pro instead of a Mac Book Pro \
  • Reply 2 of 62
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:

The reference to a device called "iProd 0,1"...

iProd?! Are they really gonna call it that? That's too freakin' funny!

• Reply 3 of 62
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When the original reference to iProd 0,1 was discovered, it was alongside a call to an iPhone 3,1 -- a device that turned out to be the new iPhone 3GS. They were discovered alongside iPod 2,2 and iPod 3,1.

I thought iPhone 2,1 was the 3GS...

0x1290 iPhone1,1 - iPhone

0x1291 iPod1,1 - iPod touch

0x1292 iPhone1,2 - iPhone (3G)

0x1293 iPod2,1 - iPod touch v2

0x1294 iPhone2,1 - iPhone (3G [s])

0x1295 iProd0,1 - ???

0x1296 iPod2,2 - iPod touch v3 ?

0x1297 iPhone3,1 - iPhone v4 ?

0x1298 iFPGA - ???

0x1299 iPod3,1 - iPod touch v4 ?
  • Reply 4 of 62
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Sadly I see that as a place holder for a name they don't want to include yet. It is most likely stands for iProduct.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

iProduct

Or did you think Apple is making a 3G capable cattle prod for all those rural ranchers who can't get coverage from ATT?
  • Reply 6 of 62
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

iProduct

Or did you think Apple is making a 3G capable cattle prod for all those rural ranchers who can't get coverage from ATT?

...or the adult toy market?
  • Reply 7 of 62
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Sadly I see that as a place holder for a name they don't want to include yet. It is most likely stands for iProduct.

With all the arguments over what a possible tablet device might be called lately, perhaps this reflects a similarly heated debate inside Apple.

iBook? iPad? iTablet? MacBook? Newton?
  • Reply 8 of 62
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

With all the arguments over what a possible tablet device might be called lately, perhaps this reflects a similarly heated debate inside Apple.

If it is for the tablet, it looks like it would be running a version of iPhone OS, which wouldn't be a surprise. As for the naming war idea, who knows, I know I can't think of a good name.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Why would this reflect an internal argument --

It's a placeholder because we don't need to know the name yet.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

No, this is a Ballmer-Schmidt-Arrington-prod.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I wonder if it is this?

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/tec...-to-iprod.html

I seriously hope not, but you never know. I guess it wouldn't surprise me.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I prefer the iSlab myself.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

No, this is a Ballmer-Schmidt-Arrington-prod.

Well if it's a Ballmer-Prod it must be pretty frk'n huge!
  • Reply 15 of 62
    icebikeicebike Posts: 14member
    Is this the rumored exercise specific device rumored here:

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/tec...-to-iprod.html

Maybe with enhanced nike software?
  • Reply 16 of 62
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    If it said, iProbe, then I'd be laughing.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

Why would this reflect an internal argument --

It's a placeholder because we don't need to know the name yet.

Well it might and it might not. That's why I was equivocal in my statement.

I'm just saying that since no one on teh internets can decide what a good name for the thing is, that *perhaps* they are having the same trouble at Apple HQ. In this highly imaginative and amusing scenario, there would be camps that think it more a new "iBook" and others that might want to resurrect the Newton name etc.

Certainly there are lots and lots of people that think "iPad" is a good name whereas to me it's rather hideous.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    It seems "book" refers to something that opens and closes, but does it have to be? Could Apple get away with calling an ultra-mobile tablet a MacBook?
  • Reply 19 of 62
    icebikeicebike Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaine_Michael View Post

I seriously hope not, but you never know. I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

Why do you Hope Not?

Given how FAT we americans are, something that monitors life style and "prods" you do get off your butt and do something might sell big time.

Using the GPS and accelerometer and compass to monitor, record, plan, and document exercise programs could sell well. Having a good ipod built in sells better.

Heck, you could have doctors prescribing it.!!!
  • Reply 20 of 62
    iProd?

Good move Apple...

They tried to fool people in hoping they would not notice between

iPod and iProd

hahahaha