Mystery device reference discovered again in iPhone OS 3.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    I think that it will be another multi-touch device. somebody said that apple tablet is on the way this year (with 3G connection). but I personally don't believe that happened this year. it's too soon and hurry. apple doesn't make device such a hurry situation. so it will be someday next year from special event. but something is funny. iphone 3.1 software will be released coming september anyway believe or not. so I am not really sure what Apple hides. anyway, the name 'iProd' is very funny. it sounds like froggy?
  • Reply 22 of 62
    And the beat goes on.......

I LOVE this company as both a consumer and a shareholder.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    I think the iBook name is coming back
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Slate, as in Apple Slate (not iSlate, don't really care for that). Or if they want to stick to the "i" naming convention, especially if its running the iPhone/iPod OS then how about the iTouch?
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I prefer the iSlab myself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I prefer the iSlappedMyself...

...for reading rumors.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    I think Apple is finally getting into the lucrative cattle prod business. And about time too!

Too bad they're too late to the game to get Dennis Weaver as product pitchman. I can hear his voice now: "Heifer stuck in a thicket? There's a prod for that. The iProd. Only from Apple."
  • Reply 27 of 62
    its more subtle than that..

theres often been talk for a consumer level and a pro level device for many of apple's products..

we've had ibooks and powerbooks

we've had macbooks and macbook pro's

its just the next generation "pro quadrant filler" for the ipod,

the iprod
  • Reply 28 of 62
    NONONONONONO!

The Tablet CAN'T use iPhone OS! It will be a waste of a product! It's like giving iPod OS to a Mac Pro!!
  • Reply 29 of 62
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

NONONONONONO!

The Tablet CAN'T use iPhone OS! It will be a waste of a product! It's like giving iPod OS to a Mac Pro!!

I agree. I betcha it is going to have it's own special SDK....the tablet product I mean. It would be very similar to the iphone OS SDK but have many more new features. So it wouldn't be much of a stretch for iphone devs especially if they also have Mac OSX programming experience.

Anyways, we're getting closer and closer now. I can almost see the meteor out in the distant sky. Y'all seen armageddon or deep impact? When the tablet hits the scene it's going to smack the tech industry with a similar level of devastation!
  • Reply 30 of 62
    tnttnt Posts: 21member
    ... iFPGA stands for internet Flat Panel Gaming Artifact or Architecture
  • Reply 31 of 62
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I agree. I betcha it is going to have it's own special SDK....the tablet product I mean. It would be very similar to the iphone OS SDK but have many more new features.

well it would be directly derived from iPhone OS. Much of the API would be exactly the same.

In any event I don't see any difference between Apple adding new APIs to support hardware in an iPhone and adding APIs to support this new device. It is still Touch OS evolving.

Quote:

So it wouldn't be much of a stretch for iphone devs especially if they also have Mac OSX programming experience.

Anyways, we're getting closer and closer now. I can almost see the meteor out in the distant sky. Y'all seen armageddon or deep impact? When the tablet hits the scene it's going to smack the tech industry with a similar level of devastation!

Could be but is the device expected next month the tablet everybody is expecting? See I can see lots of disappointment coming if Apple debuts a slightly larger Touch and that is assumed to be the new tablet. This might explain the announcement rumors that one device will ship in November. The size of the impact is not a given.

Hell everybody wants Apple to be successful in there own way. The problem is every body has their own idea of what that device will look like, how it will perform and so forth. Because Apple can't possibly make everybody happy with a one size device, so I expect multiple devices.

Dave
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

NONONONONONO!

Agreed. Tablet + iPhone OS = no sale. Unless they open up the development (no fee, no supervision).

OTOH, they'll sell crates of them to people. Later, some of those same people will whine about Apple removing unsanctioned apps that let you watch DivX movies and read public-domain e-books. Then the device will be jailbroken. Later, Apple will whine about jailbroken iProds potentially being used to subvert national security.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    azazaazaza Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

With all the arguments over what a possible tablet device might be called lately, perhaps this reflects a similarly heated debate inside Apple.

iBook? iPad? iTablet? MacBook? Newton?

Well, Apple took its name from Prof Newton's famous observation about gravity's effect on fruit dropping from its tree. So, in keeping with tradition I think it will be called iZac !
  • Reply 34 of 62
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I agree. I betcha it is going to have it's own special SDK....the tablet product I mean. It would be very similar to the iphone OS SDK but have many more new features. So it wouldn't be much of a stretch for iphone devs especially if they also have Mac OSX programming experience.

Ask yourself why there would be references for this new product in the iPhone OS if that OS were not intended to run on it.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azaza View Post

Well, Apple took its name from Prof Newton's famous observation about gravity's effect on fruit dropping from its tree. So, in keeping with tradition I think it will be called iZac !

Like your suggestion, very clever!

(Quibble: Newton was not a professor when he developed his theory of universal gravitation... that came a few years later.)

As to suggestions: iPort.. as in a portal or gateway [for data and media] and also a portable computer. And it sounds like a logical progression from iPod.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

It seems "book" refers to something that opens and closes, but does it have to be? Could Apple get away with calling an ultra-mobile tablet a MacBook?

I have considered this same thing. That one white MacBook seems kind of lonely all by itself.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    So much for having Snow Leopard on the Macbook Wheel, er I mean, iTablet.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Full Mac OS X inside for video presentations using video-out port.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Im hoping for Snow Leopard but doesn't seem likely, can't wait to see what Apple has up its sleeves.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

iProd?! Are they really gonna call it that?

It's interesting that the iPhoneOS is referencing this new product, rather than Snow Leopard referencing the new product.

I also think it's fair to say that Apple approaches things as 2 lines...

a) the i Products

b) the Mac Products

... even though they say they have 3 product types

I do believe this refers to tablet, but it could also be an "iTV" (AppleTV replacement). The iPhone OS suits the AppleTV more than the full MacOS