Report: iPhone grabs 32% of global handset profits in 2009

Comments

• Reply 41 of 182
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How many of those phones are of the smart phone class? I don't think many of us here give a poop about the feature phone class. If it's a feature phone you want, you're not getting an Apple.

Whether you want one or not doesn't make AI's original statement any more factually correct.

But for the record, Nokia sold 17 million smartphones in Q2 2009 (vs. Apple's 5.2 million), giving Nokia an estimated 41% share of the smartphone market.
  • Reply 42 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Sounds like we are all being a bit over-charged, here...

How is anybody being overcharged?

This is not a food, water, heating or housing; it is a desirable, luxury product and, just like any other luxury product, it is not necessary to own one to live a happy, healthy life.

If anybody thinks that the iPhone is overpriced they have the option of not buying one
  • Reply 43 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

This is not a food, water, heating or housing; it is a desirable, luxury product and, just like any other luxury product, it is not necessary to own one to live a happy, healthy life.

If anybody thinks that the iPhone is overpriced they have the option of not buying one

+1! Apple is for the people who can afford their stuff without complaining and gives better quality than other products IMO. ( More of the niche market ). If you cannot afford the iphone, go get some other Nokia phone out there. They are cheap.
  • Reply 44 of 182
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

When a company makes an obscene margin on an item you are being overcharged, no matter who the company is, if you are happy to encourage with them taking more of your money than they need then carry on.
  • Reply 45 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

+1! Apple is for the people who can afford their stuff without complaining and gives better quality than other products IMO. ( More of the niche market ). If you cannot afford the iphone, go get some other Nokia phone out there. They are cheap.

You have a strange definition of cheap, the N97 is more expensive than the iPhone where I live.
  • Reply 46 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You have a strange definition of cheap, the N97 is more expensive than the iPhone where I live.

Oh. The N97 is a good $100 cheaper than the 16GB 3GS in the place where I live. With Nokia Comes With Music, N97 is still $20 cheaper.
  • Reply 47 of 182
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post

I paid the same for my 16bg iphone as my previous samsung sgh i600 which was a god awful phone for the record. I looked at plenty of other things such as the nokia n95 and it was by far the best value. It is also a far better phone but most of us know that by now.

SAying that we are being overcharged because a company makes big profits is faulty logic. Lets not forget the cost of R&D and the future R&D to come. Since I bought my phone there have been many updates, the app store etc, bundles of added value. My samsung died when i tried to make it WM6 as WM5 was awful.

Agreed

In fact the i phone while not cheap is still a great deal vs sony;s $299 book reader/

THE iphone does a million things

sony does one .
  • Reply 48 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Agreed

In fact the i phone while not cheap is still a great deal vs sony;s $299 book reader/

THE iphone does a million things

sony does one .

Yep. Pretty much agree. Sony is long overdue for a real software and UI upgrade.
  • Reply 49 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Here is the source for the article:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...f-smartphones/

Great read /. This article says something very telling. Which has lead me to think that a NANO phone has to come one day .

I quote below

<< Still, Sacconaghi does offer one challenge for Apple: only 28% of the world?s cellular subscribers are post-paid. Most are pre-paid, and the average revenue per user is $20 globally, nothing like the $50 and up that carriers enjoy in the developed world.

Therefore, ?We believe Apple will ultimately need to lower price (and margins over time) to expand its addressable market opportunity, including offering a lower-cost, non-data plan iPhone,? concludes Sacconaghi. >>

Its almost like APPLE is a force of nature. I think THAT millions worldwide will clamor for at least a partial iphone experience . And to AVOID competing against itself APPLE will bring on the NANO phone.

A great phone for our phone troll, he can now spend his $100 credit.
  • Reply 50 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Whether you want one or not doesn't make AI's original statement any more factually correct.

But for the record, Nokia sold 17 million smartphones in Q2 2009 (vs. Apple's 5.2 million), giving Nokia an estimated 41% share of the smartphone market.

HOW much profit did nokia make off its large share?

Much less than apple and rim.

Which proves that nokia makes crap phones. 2 for 1 > 3 for 1 > 4 for 1 deals abound . Nokia has millions of unsold obsolete phones poisoning our garbage dumps. Nokia is the dell of phone makers.
  • Reply 51 of 182
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    Quote:

When a company makes an obscene margin on an item you are being overcharged, no matter who the company is, if you are happy to encourage with them taking more of your money than they need then carry on.

Microsoft gross margin is about 80%. (That includes the money they're losing on the Zune and Xbox.)

Microsoft operating margin is about 35%.

Microsoft net margin is about 25%

So far, 2009 has been a very bad year for Microsoft.

Apple gross margin is about 35 %.

Apple operating margin is about 25%.

Apple net margin is about 17%.

So far, Apple is having a decently good year. But no where near as "obscene" as Microsoft.

So tell me, are you using a Mac or are you encouraging Microsoft to take more of your money, by using a PC.
  • Reply 52 of 182
    Quote:

The consumer has a choice to buy the phone or not, if you are willing to purchase the product, then do not complain, if it is overpriced.

No one is encouraging them, but if Apple sets the price and we has a consumer purchases the product at that price and your FTC has no issue, then who is at fault. Stop blaming the companies for consumers own behavioural habits in wanting the latest and greatest product.
  • Reply 53 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

Microsoft gross margin is about 80%. (That includes the money they're losing on the Zune and Xbox.)

Microsoft operating margin is about 35%.

Microsoft net margin is about 25%

So far, 2009 has been a very bad year for Microsoft.

Apple gross margin is about 35 %.

Apple operating margin is about 25%.

Apple net margin is about 17%.

So far, Apple is having a decently good year. But no where near as "obscene" as Microsoft.

So tell me, are you using a Mac or are you encouraging Microsoft to take more of your money, by using a PC.

I wanted to be sure that these facts were true, so I checked the websites for their half yearly reports. confirmed!!

In fact preception that Apple overcharges the consumer is more, we charge permium prices for premium products, BUT MS charge permium prices for a less than stellar products and gets away with it, interesting :-)
  • Reply 54 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I wanted to be sure that these facts were true, so I checked the websites for their half yearly reports. confirmed!!

In fact preception that Apple overcharges the consumer is more, we charge permium prices for premium products, BUT MS charge permium prices for a less than stellar products and gets away with it, interesting :-)

Apple - premium price for premium products

Microshit - premium ( give them a chance here ) for low quality shitty products
  • Reply 55 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

You got a $100 credit on the Apple Store that could not be used for iTunes.

I was the same sucker you were.

I still have my $100 credit because there is nothing in the Apple Store for a $100 that I want (after 2 years).

Wait...

Please sell me the POS earphones that ship with every iPod and iPhone. They make my ears bleed but I'll look cool. NOT.

No actually. I picked up my iPhone within 2 weeks of the price drop so I got $200 credited back to my credit card. A sucker? Maybe, but not a sucker like you.

Are you sure your $100 is still good? I thought there was an expiration date on that.
  • Reply 56 of 182
    too999too999 Posts: 10member
    Quote:

From what you wrote, all softwares are overpriced because CD cost $1 but some softwares are selling for hundreds.
  • Reply 57 of 182
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Huh?

Let's destroy some myths here...
    1. Nokia's quarter-to-quarter smartphone marketshare is actually rising at the moment.

2. Nokia's overall marketshare is flat.

3. Nokia's overall marketshare is under threat from Samsung and LG, not Apple and RIM. Both companies make vast profits from their mobile operations but actual unit sales are too low to significantly affect Nokia's marketshare. In terms of units, Nokia sells in 4 days what Apple sells in a quarter.

I think they're referring to the smart phone market only. The market both Apple and RIM competes in. Since the introduction of the iPhone in 2007 Nokia went from about 54% of the smart phone sold to 40% last quarter. (It was about 37% the quarter before.) Apple went from 0% to 11% and RIM went from about 11% to 20%. In fact I think every smart phone maker increased their smart phone market share during this time frame, except Nokia.
  • Reply 58 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

I didn't target any company, I was making a general comment regarding corporate greed

I have both Macs, and PC's. Both PCs have an OEM copy of Windows which Microsoft makes less money off.
  • Reply 59 of 182
    Honestly the secret is out! The iPhone is the best cellphone in the world. I seen others experience this as well as myself, the iPhone is just more reliable and more beneficial! Motorola, Nokia, and Sony Ericsson are the ones actually made over priced crap. Just it takes a company like Apple to wake us up in this delusional world we live in. This ironically will continue well as introduce more exposure to Apple computers because now with people experiencing Mac OS X and Safari on a iPhone they will be more intrigued on experiencing it on a MacBook Pro, iMac or a Mac Pro. Hence increased new customers to Apple Stores. See its not just price but does the end justified the means. With Apple it not only does but also definitely increase consumer confidence. That's something Microsoft has lost a lot of in the past 10 years.
  • Reply 60 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by too999 View Post

From what you wrote, all softwares are overpriced because CD cost $1 but some softwares are selling for hundreds.

Erm no, I don't think so. What's he is trying to say is that some softwares are more highly priced due ti their usability value and usefulness. CDs are so last year.