Help!? Screen resolution has gone awry.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello,

Hopefully this is the right place, but everything is very difficult right now as my iMac has turned into a print by that "15 minutes of fame" bloke.

The screen resolution has gone completely strange and everything looks really blocky and boldly coloured... but only for one user. If I log in under my wife's account everything is fine.

I've been through all the system settings a dozen times, and tried changing the resolution back to max and colours back to millions, but nothing helps. Googling for the problem doesn't find anything either.

I've even tried a time machine restore of my area to earlier in the day, but that doesn't seem to help (although it won't let me restore my home directory, as the restore button is grayed out).

EDIT: When I switch users, the resolution jumps back to normal for a fraction of a second... just before I switch away to another user. A kind of "here's what you could have won" teaser. Likewise, when I switch back, all looks OK for a split second.

Stuck.

Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Maybe that user account has gone on the fritz for some reason. Can you dump it and create a new one to replace it without the problem?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

Maybe that user account has gone on the fritz for some reason. Can you dump it and create a new one to replace it without the problem?

Yes, I guess that would fix the problem. But then I would loose all my settings and files, and it would be a pain. Was hoping to find someone who'd come across this problem before and fixed it.

Steve
  • Reply 3 of 5
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Make sure you don't have accessibility options turned on by mistake.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Make sure you don't have accessibility options turned on by mistake.

Yes, I checked that too. I guess I'll have to create a new account and then move all my files across... and hope the problem doesn't move with the files.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You could also try just trashing whichever user preference file determines screen res-- possibly "com.apple.systempreferences.plist"?

Have no idea, just guessing.